Tamiya 1/48 Beaufighter TFX, finally, back at it, Oct 30, 2022!

My next quarantine build is Tamiya's Beaufighter TFX.  I'm starting to add some details, and corrections ...

The engines with the exhaust pipes, cowl braces, cleaning up the exhaust ring and the flame damper exhaust with the cabin heater pipes (a detail that seems to get missed)

Image1

Image2

Correcting the balance and trim tab linkage, and dropping the elevators ...

Image3

Adding some detail, brake lines, axle pillow blocks and pivots to the gear. Also flattening the tires and drilling for axles.

Image5

Rescribing and correcting the wing panel lines, adding the gun close off patches, opening up the oil cooler outlet etc ...

Image7

Image9

Image8

and I'm just starting to add fuselage and cockpit dtails ...

Image6

It should be a fun build, the Tamiya kit is a very nice starting point. The machine I'm building will require stealing the armor piercing rockets from a Mosquito kit for use on the Mk 1b rails from the kit.

Edited by Tail-Dragon
  • Like 19

Nice work on those exhaust collectors.

Is it an early or late TF.X you are building? The elevators are too broad (and tailplanes too narrow) for an early one, but are the wrong shape for a late one. Tamiya really screwed these up unfortunately.

8 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Is it an early or late TF.X you are building? The elevators are too broad (and tailplanes too narrow) for an early one, but are the wrong shape for a late one. Tamiya really screwed these up unfortunately.

It's a late TFX that I'm building. I tapered the elevators some (photos don't show it well) but probably could have done more. Problem is, with three different drawings, I had three different amounts of taper required! I decided to correct the actuators, taper some, drop the elevators and deflect the balance tab to confuse the issue, and call it a day!

The nearest Beaufighter I could put a tape measurer on is over 1000 miles away!

(as an aside - when compared to the Revell kit - Revell has excessive taper from what I can see!)

Edited by Tail-Dragon
  • Like 1

Those built from RD130 onwards were built with the bigger elevators like these:

685d8e75-0b7f-48b2-b577-6fc3d770f038.jpg

There were also a number of earlier ones retrofitted with the late type which were a bit lighter on the controls thanks to their full span aerodynamic balance 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Those built from RD130 onwards were built with the bigger elevators like these

There were also a number of earlier ones retrofitted with the late type which were a bit lighter on the controls thanks to their full span aerodynamic balance 

I'm building TFX  LZ451, 2*M, 404 Squadron, June 6, 1944, with the Mod638 tailplane.  (to go along with my 404 Sqdn Blenheim IV.f )

As I understand it, there were at least 4 different tailplane configurations (flat, dihedral, enlarged counterbalance, and reversed tab link for target tugs) plus - with or without radar altimeter antennae's.  The kit manufacturers reduced this to 2 - to much taper, or upside down not enough taper!

I try to get as close as possible, but, avoid 'paralysis by analysis' or nothing gets built!

16 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

Wow! That's looking great! The details you've added to the engines is excellent.

Thanks, British radial engines do seem to present their own set of challenges!  (here's a weird fact - the proper diameter copper wire was the center core of a leftover cable TV cable! - Use what you got!)

• Like 1

I've done a bit on the interior, so far just the fuselage area aft of the pilots seat. It busying up rather nicely, I think.

Image12

Looks better under primer ...

Image14

• Like 13

Here's some more in progress stuff ...

The corrected horizontal stab/elevators ...

Modified and unmodified stabs 

Image16

Image15

Image17

Image18

And the modified dorsal gun -  an Airfix Hurricane breech grafted onto the kit barrel/mount, with a pistol grip and photoetch ammo belt added

Image19

lots more to go ...

Colin

• Like 10

I've pretty much finished with the cockpit upgrades (other than finishing the gunsight) and it's getting to be painting time ...

Image27

Image28

Image29

hope you like,

Colin

• Like 6

The cockpit is mostly painted, with only a little cleanup and detail left to do. It looks like it's starting to come together ...

Image36

Image35

Image34

Image33

Image30

Hope you like so far...

Colin

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

I'm ready to button up the fuselage, so I thought one last look before it disappears forever ...

… also, the engines are finished, I tried to replicate the flaking and chipping on the of the heat paint on the exhaust collector ...

Image37

Image39

Image40

Image41

Image42

Hope you like. I realize it will be all but invisible after closure, but scratchbuilding is fun!

Colin

• Like 10

• Tail-Dragon changed the title to Tamiya 1/48 Beaufighter TFX, new photo's June 11

Nice stuff! 

Just so ya know, the dorsal gun was mounted in the clear copula, which is only important if you are showing the copula opened.

49906065426_bd91af7e06_b.jpg

Chris

1 hour ago, dogsbody said:

Nice stuff! 

Just so ya know, the dorsal gun was mounted in the clear copula, which is only important if you are showing the copula opened.

Chris

Thanks, I thought about opening the dorsal copula, but it ruins the lines of the Beau, and you seldom see photo's of it open (emergency exit only). The pilots canopy hatch however, is frequently seen open (I guess just for ventilation), so that one I'll have open, as well as the two belly entrance hatches.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

This is inspiring stuff Colin! I'm about to start a MkVIF build and will certainly refer to this as I proceed!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1