RIchard C. Lampe USAAF Ace

Harold55

Last week found out that I am related to an Ace from WWII, 1st Lt. Richard C. Lampe, USAAF (I love Ancestry.Com).  He would have been my Father's cousin.  I have very little information on him other that what you can find on Google and in a book on American Aces which I have.  He flew P-51's as well as Spitfires and had 5.5 confirmed plus one damaged (which I think were all in the P-51 as these took place after they transitioned from Spitfires to Mustangs).   He flew with the 2nd Fighter Squadron, 52nd Fighter Group and was in Italy.  I can see where the 2nd pursuit/fighter squadron was stationed and I have a picture of him in an aircraft, which is a Spitfire with the "QP" code under the cockpit door folded down.  There is some general information and pictures of the 52nd Fighter Group on the American Air Museum in Britain website.

Anyway, I would love to make a model of his aircraft if possible but have no idea where to even start and it does not appear that any decals exist (Spitfire or Mustang)  But I could craft my own decals if I could find a decent picture of his plane.   My sister is going to try and see if she can get any pictures through his children but thought I would ask here.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

• Like 2

Hello Harold

According to Tom Ivie and Paul Ludwig book Spitfires and yellow tail Mustangs (Hikoki) Lt. Lampe flew Spitfire Vc JK180, QP-X, Betty I in January 1944. There are two photos of this plane in mentioned book, along with a colour profile. Xtradecals offers decals for this aircraft in one of its sets (here). Will search further, perhaps I can also find something about Lampe's Mustang. Cheers

Jure

P.S.: In the same book there is a photo of Lampe's P-51 C 43-24838, QP-X, Betty II. I did not find any decals for this aircraft available, though. 

Edited by Jure Miljevic
P.S. added
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Harold Superscale decals https://modelingmadness.com/scott/decals/super/48th/ss481176.htm

and ultracast decals

https://www.ultracast.ca/RB-Productions-RB-D32025-Red-Nose-P-51D-5-Aces-p/rb_d32025.htm

do P-51’s in 1/48 and possibly other scales ? 

I normally do 1/48 scale but would consider 1/32 for this.  My only problem in making decals is of course white but I think I can make it work.  Thanks for the help!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Jure Miljevic said:

Hello Harold

According to Tom Ivie and Paul Ludwig book Spitfires and yellow tail Mustangs (Hikoki) Lt. Lampe flew Spitfire Vc JK180, QP-X, Betty I in January 1944. There are two photos of this plane in mentioned book, along with a colour profile. Xtradecals offers decals for this aircraft in one of its sets (here). Will search further, perhaps I can also find something about Lampe's Mustang. Cheers

Jure

P.S.: In the same book there is a photo of Lampe's P-51 C 43-24838, QP-X, Betty II. I did not find any decals for this aircraft available, though. 

This is hugely helpful!  I am sure I can find this book or borrow it - some guys have some pretty big book collections in our modeling club.  Thanks!

• Like 1

@Harold55 .... I just realized I've got a copy of part of the book with the Spitfires. I can send you the photo’s, Please P/message me. 

Also found this ? https://digitalcollections.museumofflight.org/items/show/38083

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

This has been a great help.  One of the schemes available in the old Classic Airframe #4152 Yankee Spitfires  is "QP-X" the mount of Lampe in Corsica.  Thanks for the help!

• Like 1