BAC TSR-2MS Meteor Sweeper

Hello all,

I have finally finished the kit I started a year ago for the Sharkmouth GB.  For one reason or another, I lost interest in this kit as it just kept on fighting me. To say the that the Airfix 1/72 TSR-2 is a pig of a kit is an understatement!  I guess it didn't help that I added aftermarket bits to it.  At one point, the kit actually flew off the table in the garden and nose dived into the patio.  I had to deal with a snapped flap/tailplane and the wing joint had cracked along the back as well.  Original build thread is here. I have learned a lot from this build and I will probably revisit it in a few years time as I have another one of these in the stash.  You never know, by then Airfix might've released a new version (heres hoping!).  Any and all feedback welcome. :) Not really sure if this should in be here in the Sci-Fi RFI or Aircraft RFI?

Kit used : Airfix 1/72 TSR-2MS Stratos 4.

Aftermarket : CMK Resin Engines, tailplanes, flaps, engine intakes, airbrakes and electronics bay.

Paint : White... white and more bloody white...

spacer.png

spacer.png

49883826803_6a2f70f085_b.jpg

spacer.png

I used @Navy Bird great buld here for a lot of the references and pitfalls.  But my kit decided to throw more at me.  I also stole the idea of using a light grey oil wash for the panel lines.  I am more or less happy with this side.  It hasn't worked in other places as I have oblierated all the panel lines with my multiple layers of primer/paint.

spacer.png

49884350911_a3fd306e95_b.jpg

spacer.png

I did try to add some detail to the wheelbay.  really hard to get a picture of it where you can see what I did.  I also added breaklines to the wheels (5 of them!) but it was hard to see what happened to them.  Even my trip to see the real one at RAF Cosford didn't help. And just for fun below a picture of the real one (this is a picture I took on my visit to RAF Cosford).  Even at rest she looks fast as hell...

49883925253_87b2dd63a2_b.jpg

Any and all feedback is welcome.

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Edited by Dazzio
  • Like 25

On 5/12/2020 at 7:27 AM, stevehnz said:

For all the strife that goes with Airfix TSR2s, you've pulled off a good job. It looks good in that scheme to my due. :)

Steve.

Thank you Steve for the kind words, the kit certainly put up a fight and there was times I wanted to throw it out of the window.  Glad it is finished now and is of a reasonable quality.  It's good enough to go on the shelf. :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hiya,

Whaddya know, it seems the TSR.2 can amount to something useful, after all! 😉

Nice work and a neat take on the TSR.2 in a new role! Sorry to hear about the construction dramas - that is one slick model.

I’m kinda inclined to get one myself.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/1/2020 at 12:22 AM, Blimpyboy said:

Hiya,

Whaddya know, it seems the TSR.2 can amount to something useful, after all! 😉

Nice work and a neat take on the TSR.2 in a new role! Sorry to hear about the construction dramas - that is one slick model.

I’m kinda inclined to get one myself.

Thank you for the kind words Blimpyboy.  It was a struggle to get it where it is now and I am not 100% happy with her, but I did learn alot from it.  I am planning on making the rocket truck it launches from (Zero Launch Length style).  But that will be way down the line.

On 6/1/2020 at 12:27 AM, PLC1966 said:

That came up well.  Very nice.

As for the real thing, a big 'ol beast...

Thank you :) Aye, she is a big 'ol beastie but I think she is an amazing piece of engineering.  Looks fast as hell just sitting there.

On 6/28/2020 at 1:05 AM, saturnapollo said:

That has come out really nice. I have the Stratos IV version in the attic. Might be tempted to start it having seen yours.

Keith

Much appreciated Keith.  This is the Japanese boxing of the Stratos 4 TSR-2MS that features in the OVA "Stratos 4 : Advance Final".  The one you have is probably the boxing from the first series and is plain looking in comparison (no sharkmouth for a start).  I have the TV show on DVD's so I am a little bit of a fan.  FYI "Stratos 4" is actually an aircraft - not a real one mind. :)

On 6/28/2020 at 4:20 PM, HOUSTON said:

OUTSTANDING build and your model looks PRISTINE. 

Daz looks SUPERB.

:clap2:

I have seen the real thing like you at Cosforf.

:thumbsup:

I think you did a tremendous job on your build.

:clap:      :wow:   :worthy:

Why thank you Houston, but she isn't pristine - far from it.  But that was the look I was going for when I made her.  The real thing is just amazing, glad I have seen both XR220 and XR222 in the metal.  I live quite close to Shoeburyness where the other airframes where used as targets so it is sort of an local interest to me.  I also remember seeing it appear in an air rec competition when I was in the ATC.  I was the only one who knew what it was - even the MoD guys didn't know, which impressed the Officers immensely.

Thank you for the kind words all. :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 1

Thanks for the background info on the Stratos IV. Knew nothing of the back story. Have already canibilised it for the oleo struts for a Spectrum Passenger Jet, so it will have to be an inflight version!

Seen the Cosford one a few times on the way back from the Telford IPMS show.

Keith

Edited by saturnapollo