Hawker Siddeley Nimrod MR1

Here is my attempt at the 1/72 Airfix Hawker Siddeley Nimrod MR1 of 206 Sqn, RAF Kinloss in 1977. This had the Squadron emblem added to the tail as it was in the Queens Jubilee Review at RAF Finningley.

I built it OOB just adding the 2 HF wire aerials using fishing line and the addition of 2 pitot probes. I added a bit of weathering and enhanced the panel lines which the aircraft on display wouldn't of had on the day as it would have been spotless for the review. Painted using Xtracolor and Revell enamels (I prefer the Revell SM301 white for spraying for some reason).

Extra decals are from the Xtradecal X72080 set which has all the Nimrods from the 1977 review.

It's a beast but have learn't a few things for the other one I have when I get round to it

image image image image image image image image

• Like 66

8 minutes ago, SAT69 said:

What a beautiful build. What were some of the issues you encountered while building it?

The biggest issue was probably my modelling skills and running out of patience with it. The size was a bit of a battle as it was the biggest aircraft I'd attempted.

As you can see from the photos, the canopy was pretty ill fitting, too big. Next time it will need a fair bit of grinding down or maybe using an aftermarket canopy frame to reduce the size of the lip.

Fairly big gaps between the fuselage and wings and fuselage and the 'bomb' bay but on the whole not too bad.

The stencil sheet for the smaller decals that was supplied with the kit is not very accurate for location so needed a bit of a guess and some extra homework to try and get them in the correct places.

• Like 2

You did an outstanding job eliminating the seams that are very problematic to larger sized aircraft and you are to be commended for an overall beautiful subject!!!!! :clap2:

Mike

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scottyphbeta said:

I added a bit of weathering and enhanced the panel lines which the aircraft on display wouldn't of had on the day as it would have been spotless for the review.

I reckon you've done just the right amount. Too prominent panel lines are unrealistic but not being able to see any just makes the model look like a toy, IMHO.

• Like 1

Looks gorgeous,..... it isn`t the easiest kit to build and those dropped flaps look excellent. Love the scheme too,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Beautiful Nimrod, just like I remember them at Woodford! The best colour scheme in my opinion too. This is an absolute cracker, immaculately painted. 

I need to add some e-z line wires to mine actually, never got round to it.

• Like 1

Absolute beast!!! Looks superb, always loved that scheme, you've done it beautifully 👍

• Like 1

Brilliant job on 'the Mighty Hunter'! Nice to see her carrying a full load in the huge bomb bay. She does look beautiful in that scheme, but am I the only one who likes the Hemp over Barley Grey scheme? Yes? Oh well, I always have to be different...

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1
  • Haha 1