London & Provincial type.IV "School Biplane" and type.IV "Fuselage Biplane" [1/72 scratch]

• 1 month later...

Hi all...

Some images about the progress of the London & Provincial typ. IV School Biplane and G-EAQW Fuselage Biplane project.

We were at the stage of simulating the fabric.
Well..., the entire open area where it should not be painted was covered, and saturate with paint the entire surface where we had previously simulated the ribs and other details that should be noted underneath the "fabric".

spacer.png

After a week of letting the paint dry well, the sanding process comes. We had to look for the edge of the rib, masking, water and 320 and 360 sandpaper, and patiently start sanding.
Two weeks of work, which we interspersed with other things that we have here on my work bench. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The result has left me satisfied..., but not the rest of the fuselage.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Now it's the turn of the wings...

spacer.png

spacer.png

After having sanded 300 inter-ribs furrows (approximately), I can say: level up. 🤕

spacer.png

Before continuing, I decided to corroborate my doubt about the length of the G-EAQW's nose for the last time, since according to my drawing it seemed very long compared to some images. We drew a few lines, took a snapshot of a profile view of the L&P that can be seen in the "Mr Sykes" video, moved it to scale, took a reference point, and was definitely able to verify that I needed to make a small correction.

spacer.png

So, another little surgery...

spacer.png

spacer.png

After the urgency, we continue with the work plan. Padded cockpits...

spacer.png

First we delimit the area, and then we prepare a liquid putty (epoxy putty diluted with water), and load with a brush.

spacer.png

Before it hardens (approximately two hours later), and with great care not to drag the putty, we remove the tape.
The next day we sand and start modeling the padded.

spacer.png

We masked again, and now we do a gross load of paint by brush.
The Humbrol that I have been buying for some years are so thick that, without preparing them, they are perfect for lift or making relief panels, and in this case giving an extra surface for the final detail of the padded.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Now time to attach the lower wings.
I had thought about making a more secure fixing, using a through wire or something similar, but finally I decided for the simplest thing, gluing the pieces with cyano. They are not very large and heavy wings, and also their biplane structure will form a solid self-supporting assembly when all the parts are assembled (upper wing and struts).

First have a locate the precise place and height on the model where the wings will be glued.
We use a jig with the profile of the wing. This will give us a framework to pre-fix the wings to the dihedral jig previously manufactured, mark reference lines, and put stops so that the fuselage does not move.

spacer.png

spacer.png

With a thiny needle and a little cyano we cover all the joints. Top, and when we take off the tape, below.

spacer.png

We do the same with the G-EAQW...

spacer.png

spacer.png

Done! The wings were fixed...

spacer.png

spacer.png

That's how they looked until tonight.
The next thing to do, the small holes to fix the struts on the wings and fuselages, make the struts, give a base paint, and the final paint, and then assemble all the remaining parts...

That is all for now. Thanks for reading.

^ ^

• Like 12

I have to agree with Moa - that is scratch building at its very best. The wing and fuselage fabric effect is better than on many (expensive) kits and the coamings around the cockpits is outstanding.

P

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys...
My English is very bad... I used to say "padded cockpit", but as @pheonix says, the correct thing is "coamings around the cockpits". I will try to incorporate it into my vocabulary... 😓

^ ^

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Courageous said:

Fantastic work there Matías, truly amazing. Just wondering if you also attended the same modelling Monastery as @Moa

Stuart

Yes, we attended the same Monastery..., but I a few decades later... There were only the traces of his heresies left... 🧐

^ ^

Edited by matihagen
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, matihagen said:

Yes, we attended the same Monastery..., but I a few decades later... There were only the traces of his heresies left... 🧐

^ ^

Fantastic work there Matías, truly amazing. Just wondering if you also attended the same modelling Monastery as

@Courageous

I clearly remember Young Master Matías...

There was this occasion when he put superglue on the abbot's chair, and another when he swapped Master Sandpaper's sanding sticks for lollipop wood ones, and hid his glasses... days passed before he realized he wasn't making any progress.

Not to mention when he dissolved sugar on Master Lacquer's preparations, and the flies were all over his fresh paint.

Young Master Matías... He only avoided being expelled by resorting to painting foliage camouflage on himself, and standing still in the garden for a week. Man, we had to scrub that bird stuff from his head for days!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

46 minutes ago, Moa said:

Fantastic work there Matías, truly amazing. Just wondering if you also attended the same modelling Monastery as

@Courageous

I clearly remember Young Master Matías...

There was this occasion when he put superglue on the abbot's chair, and another when he swapped Master Sandpaper's sanding sticks with lollipop wood ones, and hid his glasses... days passed before he realized he wasn't making any progress.

Not to mention when he dissolved sugar on Master Lacquer's preparations, and the flies were all over his fresh paint.

Young Master Matías... He only avoided being expelled by resorting to painting foliage camouflage on himself, and standing still in the garden for a week. Man, we had to scrub that bird stuff from his head for days!

hahaha... Surely, I couldn't help but follow Master Moa's heretical path. But he also had his days of rebellion, and in the fight against the iconoclasts, someone did not notice the image of the Moa pantocrator. That image is the one that definitely continues to drive us to find this shinny light in the golden years of historical aviation. 😋

^ ^

• Haha 2