FAIREY SWORDFISH Mk II *** FINISHED 23/05/2020 ***

DaveyGair

Didn't do much modelling today, but still swapping between this and my Spitfire Mk IX build.

The fuselage is together now, no problems except it needed taped up all over to prevent it 'springing' apart. I chopped the resin Radome in half and added some thick plasticard to add a bit more length. Will shape this before offering the front portion and see where we are.  

Davey.

DSC_0002

• Like 3

Great build thread, which I've only just caught up on

I must admit with all the research, I'd actually forgotten there was a kit waiting to be built as a result !

Can't think the "middle" crew member was too chuffed when he saw what little space he had been left with after all the extra kit was shoehorned in either. It says a lot for the old Swordfish that it outlived its replacement the Albacore ;) Even if the later had a cosier cockpit that actually had a roof.

Good luck with the build.

Cheers Pat

2 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Great build thread, which I've only just caught up on

I must admit with all the research, I'd actually forgotten there was a kit waiting to be built as a result !

Can't think the "middle" crew member was too chuffed when he saw what little space he had been left with after all the extra kit was shoehorned in either. It says a lot for the old Swordfish that it outlived its replacement the Albacore ;) Even if the later had a cosier cockpit that actually had a roof.

Good luck with the build.

Cheers Pat

Thanks Pat, well, I certainly didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition! 😁

Where the gear went with a three man crew is all conjecture and pure modellers licence.  Agreed, it was a flying museum piece but were still used post-war as well for while! I had a 1/72 scale 'Pegasus' model of the Albacore, one of those ones you wish still had.

Here's where we are now.  Fuselage and wings basically about ready for paint, thought it best to do it all separately.  The engine assembly gave trouble, unless it was just me. To get the centre of the engine hub lined up and attached to the central support I had to trim the exhaust headers on the cylinders right back as they reached the headers on the manifold ring before locating the centre, a small point but the only problem I have had so far.

Waiting for the filler to harden around the Radome before final smoothing and re-scribing, then it can be attached and we can get on with paint!

Decals have arrived at last!

Davey.

DSC_0003 DSC_0007 DSC_0004 DSC_0006 DSC_0008 DSC_0010

• Like 3

3 hours ago, DaveyGair said:

Thanks Pat, well, I certainly didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition! 😁

Where the gear went with a three man crew is all conjecture and pure modellers licence.  Agreed, it was a flying museum piece but were still used post-war as well for while! I had a 1/72 scale 'Pegasus' model of the Albacore, one of those ones you wish still had.

Here's where we are now.  Fuselage and wings basically about ready for paint, thought it best to do it all separately.  The engine assembly gave trouble, unless it was just me. To get the centre of the engine hub lined up and attached to the central support I had to trim the exhaust headers on the cylinders right back as they reached the headers on the manifold ring before locating the centre, a small point but the only problem I have had so far.

Waiting for the filler to harden around the Radome before final smoothing and re-scribing, then it can be attached and we can get on with paint!

Decals have arrived at last!

Davey.

DSC_0003 DSC_0007 DSC_0004 DSC_0006 DSC_0008 DSC_0010

What a well researched sheet that looks to be,....LOL!  Great work so far Davey,.....really looking the part.

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, tonyot said:

What a well researched sheet that looks to be,....LOL!  Great work so far Davey,.....really looking the part.

Thanks Tony. Yes, there's a couple more I wouldn't mind doing.  The other set I got with it, ' Mediterranean Twins part 2', looks another well researched sheet!😉. I'm going to do Wellington X 'Fiery Queen' for the MTO GB.

Davey.

• Like 2

Paint is now on.  Since this photo I have installed the Radome but realise I forgot to take a shot of it before hand. It turned out Ok, just have to smooth some filler in a couple of places. Photo's to follow but we're nearly there now.

Thinking of adding the rigging before placing the main wing, using EZ line will be flexible so moving the struts around won't break anything. I know it'll not be strictly accurate looking at photo's some of them seem to anchor on the wing itself and not on the struts but no one will know!

Davey.

DSC_0004

• Like 6

Airframe all together, looks like a 'Stringbag' now.  I have also done some rigging. Airfix provided some pre-countersunk points for some of the rigging so have used those, well, in the vicinity!

If I did another of these I would leave out the small struts to the rear of the centre section of the upper wing till after pitting the wing on, it was difficult to locate the bottom of the struts into the holes provided at the front of the windscreen.

Bomb racks added but not painted yet, presume these would be black as well?  Airfix has you doing them that colour.

Some more to do, paint touch ups and wheels and stuff, then decals then last of the rigging.

Davey.

DSC_0001 DSC_0002 DSC_0003

• Like 6

She's now marked up and done a couple of Matt coats but I'm wondering whether to matt her down a bit more 🤔

The decals went on fine, just one roundel split a little.

Just got to get her wheels painted up, including the tailwheel, and put on along with the very nice Lewis gun and the prop. Oh, and the spinner cone.  

Just a little more rigging to do as well.

The Radome looks all the better for adding the piece in the middle.

….. Oh, and bombs, not to forget some ordnance!

Davey.

DSC_0005 DSC_0004 DSC_0007 DSC_0006

Edited by DaveyGair
  • Like 5

• DaveyGair changed the title to FAIREY SWORDFISH Mk II *** FINISHED 23/05/2020 ***

Here she is all finished and bombed up.

Quite a good model to put together, my puddles of super-glue leave a bit to be desired but I'm happy with the outcome and really like the DSG/EDSG over Black scheme.

As usual, little weathering done, just a touch of dry-brushing to bring out some detail.

Thanks for all the encouragement and the helpful research along the way.

I've just noticed that there is a photo of a 119 squadron RAF machine with a Radome but clearly hasn't got the modified cockpit so there must have been some modifications done to Mk II's to Mk III standard, the photo doesn't show 3 crew though.

Davey.

DSC_0001 DSC_0008

• Like 4