Short Sunderland Mk I, 230 Squadron RAF, MTO 1941, Italeri

Hi,

Next model this year - Short Sunderland Mk I. This is fameous N9029, which was involved in (following Valka.cz web page) 

28.7.1940: dogfight with two CR.42 near Malta (surived).
28.3.1941: NM-V captained by F/Lt A.M.G.Lywood, reported Italian fleet movements leading to the Battle of Cape Matapan.
16.4.1941: evacuation of 'very important persons' including King Peter of Yugoslavia.
May 1941: evacuation of British and Greek troops from Crete.
1.1.1943: aircraft failed to return from anti-submarine mission, crew of F/O H.Holcombe was missing.
The discussion of painting scheme of her as for end of Greek campaign was here:

Just to summarize. basicly in model there are decal for this machine. However, I did her in TSS with blacl undersurfaces (instead of model reccomemndation - but for 1940! - in TLS with black bottoms) and grey serial (set number by number from drawer, in model decals the serial number is white), also side roundels A1 are different then one given by producer (ie. with standard yellow band size). Whole surface was covered with Tamiya putty to fill deep panel lines. 

Due to her hard life in Med for a year at least I did some hard weathering, maybe too much, but when I started I could not stop :)

Here she is:

49883331542_c9d87bd2e9_b.jpg

49883025421_a2c7b2aa55_b.jpg

49882495183_17ee34a2d7_b.jpg

49883332377_0665f4e9af_b.jpg

49883026131_95f424cb19_b.jpg

49883026366_cce791c476_b.jpg

49883333072_21a22ca028_b.jpg

49883333287_be7d5e165b_b.jpg

Many thanks for all who took part in discussion and helped me in final choices!

Coments welcome

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

Edited by JWM
  • Like 57
  • Thanks 1

Great build - the outdoor shots show it particularly well.

It's a harsh life, taking off & landing on the ocean, and your meticulous weathering and chipping looks spot on.

:clap:

• Thanks 1

On 5/13/2020 at 11:31 AM, IanC said:

Fantastic. I love the camo scheme and worn appearance.

Thank you! Most people do late schemes with high white, but this camo with black undersurfaces seemed to me also attractive...

Regards

J-W

16 hours ago, Andrew.S said:

What a beast! You did a great job putting it together.

Thank you! 

11 hours ago, woody37 said:

Gorgeous Sunderland, you’ve captured the weathered look superbly. I can’t believe how fast you turn these gems out :)

Many thanks again :)

Partially this is because of lock down. Anyway, from some time I  am only rarely do single model in a time. With each one, you have to stop a while to get things dry etc.. - meanwhile you have time to push a bit the next one... This Sunderland I started work on it in first days of April, so it took more then month to do it.

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1

I think it will be extremely fun to put her next to the S.23 C-class Empire you are building these days.

Especially because of the same (basically) camouflage aplied to both of them.

Cheers

Michael

• Like 1

Amazing job!  Love it.  Must have used an entire tube of Tamiya putty to fill those trenches Italeri dug.  😁

Well done.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2020 at 12:27 AM, JOCKNEY said:

Beautiful job J-W, Sunderlands were based locally so i always have a soft spot for this aircraft.

Congratulations 

cheers Pat 

Pat, thank you! Yes the Sunderland has something to have a soft spot on her...

On 5/16/2020 at 9:41 AM, bigbadbadge said:

Wow Jerzy this looks lovely great job dealing with the overdone panel lines and the scheme too. You have a cracking model there. Great work.

All the best

Chris

14 hours ago, Ad-4N said:

Amazing job!  Love it.  Must have used an entire tube of Tamiya putty to fill those trenches Italeri dug.  😁

Well done.

Chris and Ad-4N, thank you! It was not that bad to modify the look of surface. I used... my credit card (but not valid one!) to fill all the trenches (sic!). At the very begin  of work on this kit I simply smear small amount of a putty on surfaces of all prats I wanted to improve,But not all together, just one after another and then immediately for each part I used old credit card (pressing it gently) I removed excess of putty and took care to fill all around the model parts surfaces not lefting any execc on panels themselves. After a day I sanded all them only a bit with 600 grade wet sanding paper. It was enough, since the surface on panels were almost putty free. This method was very efficient - I was not more that 2 hours all together for all parts (wings, fuselage, floats and tail). Since the Tamiya putty strongly lost volume while drying the surface was not just flat, but with filled tranches, however still visible...

Maybe on this photo still see delicate pattern of panel lines still present on wings, for instance...

49883332377_0665f4e9af_b.jpg

Uncle Pete, CJB, Rob,  Neil and Phil - Gents, many thanks for coments.

On 5/16/2020 at 4:12 PM, KRK4m said:

I think it will be extremely fun to put her next to the S.23 C-class Empire you are building these days.

Especially because of the same (basically) camouflage aplied to both of them.

Cheers

Michael

Thanks! - the Empire, which is on the way (not a secret, the WIP exists) will be not that heavy exploited since she was in service in only few months (I think April-August 1942) in the livery which I am going to do....

Regards

J-W

Edited by JWM
  • Thanks 1