1/72nd Special Hobby Havoc Mk.II, 771 NAS, Fleet Air Arm, RNAS. Twatt, Orkney`s, 1943.

Hiya Folks,

Another one that I finished yesterday,........ this is the Revell boxing of the Special Hobby 1/72nd scale Boston/Havoc which is sold as the P-70 USAAF night fighter, but includes lots of additional parts with optional noses included for the clear A-20/Havoc and also the Boston III, 12 gun Boulton Paul gun nose, Turbinlite nose and regular USAAF A-20 gun nose. Fot this model the BP 12 gun nose was utilised but unfortunately the optional flat `fighter' windscreen is not included in the kit, nor are the resin anti glare exhausts,..... so the former was lifted from a SH Boston Intruder kit and the exhausts were converted from those in an Airfix Beaufighter.  The model was brush painted and the decals came from DK Decals,..... a photo of the real aircraft appears in Air Britains Fleet Air Arm Aircraft 1939-45.

Here is the real thing,.....Havoc Mk.II, AH507/T8A, of 771 NAS at RNAS Twatt,..... from the excellent Air Britain book. The Havoc`s & Boston`s used by 771 NAS were used for Fleet Requirements Duties with the main battle fleet in Scapa Flow, playing attacking enemy bombers for exercises and to keep ships gunners trained up by practicing gun laying and sometimes they even opened fire with their sights adjusted so that the gun actually aimed off behind the aircraft. This job is still carried out by Hawk`s and civil contracted Hunter`s for the modern day RN and was done for years by FRADU. When Havoc Turbinlites were pressed into service with 771 NAS the forward facing light was found to be ideal for this role and quite a few Boston`s were later fitted with Turbinlite noses for service with the unit,..... the forward facing light has since been adopted by post war Seahawk`s, Hunter`s and Hawks;  

DSCF7975.jpg

DSCF7976.jpg

The model;

DSCF7940-NEW.jpg

DSCF7937-NEW.jpg

DSCF7945-NEW.jpg

DSCF7947-NEW.jpg

DSCF7943-NEW.jpg

DSCF7944-NEW.jpg

DSCF7932-NEW.jpg

DSCF7934-NEW.jpg

DSCF7935-NEW.jpg

I meant to paint replica air vents on the engine nacelles,...... but I forgot!! 

Cheers,

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 54

3 hours ago, jhutchi said:

Very nice. Not seen one in that scheme before, it really suits it

Thanks mate,... yeah some later Havoc`s and Turbinlites were repainted into the later night fighter scheme of MSG & Dk.Green and I agree,..... it does suit it.

2 hours ago, F-32 said:

Very impressive build

Thanks Mate.

2 hours ago, adey m said:

Very attractive Boston and beautifully photographed.

regards, adey

Cheers Adey,.... glad you like it....ta. 

2 hours ago, Wulfman said:

Beautiful Boston, very good build and finish ! Boston’s in the Navy is a new one on me !

Wulfman

Thanks Wulfman,..... yeah the Navy and 771 NAS in particular operated quite a few Boston`s & Havoc`s of various versions.

48 minutes ago, Britman said:

Very nice but of Havoc, but, who named that airfield?

Keith

Thanks Keith,.... and I know!! They have the `unofficial' station badge in the Fleet Air Arm Museum archives and it isn`t for sensitive eyes,...... quite graphic really,..... but very funny!!  

• Like 2

Way cool! 

I'm building a special hobby version of this kit, and I'm having a devil of a time setting up the landing gear. Do you have a WIP thread where you show how you did yours, and/or can you offer up some general advice. 

I can even seem to get the main frame elements to sit in there so that the engine pod can go over them. 

I never thought that P70's "solid nose" is that much peaky!  The more stepy windscreen makes it even longer. Quite different Boston, no need to say that perfect result, as always... :)

The build of Boston family is ahead of me, I have on my shelves only one Mk III (old Airfix, done 45 years ago....) but  in stash there are three MPM/SH kits (Mk III, Turbinlite and Russian A20 G), and one Matchbox (which will likely remain not build forever...) But there are so many sub-variants like late  glass nose Boston Mk V/A20 J , early DB7 and now you shown next temptation - the solid nose P70... If I do not want to end up with six or seven Bostons  the choice is then required, but it is difficult.... :)

Regards

J-W

51 minutes ago, SoftScience said:

Way cool! 

I'm building a special hobby version of this kit, and I'm having a devil of a time setting up the landing gear. Do you have a WIP thread where you show how you did yours, and/or can you offer up some general advice. 

I can even seem to get the main frame elements to sit in there so that the engine pod can go over them. 

Thanks mate,..... I didn`t do a WIP,.... but what I generally do is add the nacelle to the wing, leaving the undercarriage until the model is all but finished. Then I add the two framework sections inside the nacelle,.....let them almost dry then test fit the undercarriage leg, making sure that both legs are the same length when compared. When the framework has set,.... the legs can be attached and the rest of the struts etc. Don`t built it all and try to fit it into the nacelle,...... because it won`t fit when together,...... guess how I found that out!! 

Good luck.

29 minutes ago, JWM said:

I never thought that P70's "solid nose" is that much peaky!  The more stepy windscreen makes it even longer. Quite different Boston, no need to say that perfect result, as always... :)

The build of Boston family is ahead of me, I have on my shelves only one Mk III (old Airfix, done 45 years ago....) but  in stash there are three MPM/SH kits (Mk III, Turbinlite and Russian A20 G), and one Matchbox (which will likely remain not build forever...) But there are so many sub-variants like late  glass nose Boston Mk V/A20 J , early DB7 and now you shown next temptation - the solid nose P70... If I do not want to end up with six or seven Bostons  the choice is then required, but it is difficult.... :)

Regards

J-W

Thanks J-W,.... Yeah the British built Boulton Paul 12 gun nose was rather longer than the usual nose and the shorter `fighter' canopy just accentuates this too, making for a very different look.  The Boston/Havoc family can become very contagious my friend! 

25 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Super job on that one Tony, as said, it looks the goods in that scheme. I'm wondering what role these performed with the FAA.

Steve.

Cheers Steve,...... Sorry I should have said what their role was,...... I`ll update the main text mate. Basically they played enamy forces for the Fleet based at Scapa Flow,..... like the current day Hawk jets do for the RN,...... and when Turbinlites were found ideal for the role due to the fact they had a light mounted in the nose,.....it has been a requirement for every other aircraft used in the role to have a light fitted too,.....FRADU Seahawk, Hunter and Hawk for instance. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, neil5208 said:

nice build, I have had one of these in my stash for awhile now and you mentioned it had the parts fot the turbinlite version included... I wonder if decals would be avalible.

Cheers Neil,..... yes chEck out DK Decals,..... they have a few sheets for Havoc`s and Boston`s which include some Turbinlites. You can buy the sheets from Hannants in the UK. I`m planning to build the bottom aircraft next ;

72065_Havoc_NF_1.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Thanks J-W,.... Yeah the British built Boulton Paul 12 gun nose was rather longer than the usual nose and the shorter `fighter' canopy just accentuates this too, making for a very different look.  The Boston/Havoc family can become very contagious my friend! 

Thank you - so it is another solid nose,... - not exatly the P 70 one.  I suppose scratch build ?

Regards

J-W

• Like 2

Wow! That's great! I had no idea Revell boxed special hobby kits, the few SH ones I've built have been very hard work, while if I get a Revell kit I'm expecting an easy ride... Shows what I know, it seems everyone is putting everyone else's kits in different boxes!

Another cracker Tony, you are like a machine, I am still doing mine, okay with a Spitfire, Gosling

and a Whirlwind for distraction and you have turned out 4 models in this time!!!

Great work fella and very interesting history.  I have a FRADU Hunter conversion to do in the stash.  My Boston MkV will be recalled this week hopefully.

Great build and an interesting subject.

All the best

Chris

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JWM said:

Thank you - so it is another solid nose,... - not exatly the P 70 one.  I suppose scratch build ?

Regards

J-W

Hiya JW,.... the Boulton Paul 12 gun nose was included on the sprues of the Revell kit,...which is a re boxed Special Hobby kit. As it says at the start,.....lots of different noses are included. The nose that I used was a British built nose and much longer than the USAAF solid nose. The P-70 was normally a glazed Boston style nose with the glass painted over.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hairtrigger said:

Excellent job Tony....  Photos very good as well.

Thanks mate,..... nice of you to say so. 

4 hours ago, SoftScience said:

Thanks, Tony. I'll try your method. Is the leg pretty stable once it's sat on those spindly frames? Do you glue the sides of the frames to the inside of the nacelle, or should they sit freely in there?

I glued them to the side of the nacelle for added strength and yes, if left to dry properly the result is surprisingly strong,..... this model has a lot of nose weight and the u/c handles it well. The rear strut added to the leg does add a lot of strength.

4 hours ago, ForestFan said:

Excellent job, looks great. Did you find the kit easy to build? Any things to watch out for?

Thanks mate,..... as with the Boston III that I posted recently,..... the build isn`t exactly shake and bake but isn`t the worst either,..... but the different nose sections are a poor fit and it usually ends with lots of filling and sanding. The undercarriage is quite fiddly too.

3 hours ago, Aces High said:

Wow! That's great! I had no idea Revell boxed special hobby kits, the few SH ones I've built have been very hard work, while if I get a Revell kit I'm expecting an easy ride... Shows what I know, it seems everyone is putting everyone else's kits in different boxes!

Cheers Mate,...... yeah Revell have re boxed quite a few SH kits,..... the 1/48th Spitfire Mk.Vc and 1/72nd Vampire spring to mind. This SH kit is quite a challenge, but mostly because the nose is a poor fit.

2 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Another cracker Tony, you are like a machine, I am still doing mine, okay with a Spitfire, Gosling

and a Whirlwind for distraction and you have turned out 4 models in this time!!!

Great work fella and very interesting history.  I have a FRADU Hunter conversion to do in the stash.  My Boston MkV will be recalled this week hopefully.

Great build and an interesting subject.

All the best

Chris

Thanks Chris,....... nah mate just clearing up the shelf of doom adding a few new builds like this into the mix! I enjoyed your Gosling and will look forward to the Spit and the Whirlwind mate,......fighter or helicopter,....... or do I need to ask? FRADU Huntes are always nice and the Boston Mk.V kit looks nice when it is done,.... I built one a while ago in RAF markings.

Thanks again folks and all the best

Tony 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tonyot said:

Thanks mate,..... nice of you to say so. 

I glued them to the side of the nacelle for added strength and yes, if left to dry properly the result is surprisingly strong,..... this model has a lot of nose weight and the u/c handles it well. The rear strut added to the leg does add a lot of strength.

Thanks mate,..... as with the Boston III that I posted recently,..... the build isn`t exactly shake and bake but isn`t the worst either,..... but the different nose sections are a poor fit and it usually ends with lots of filling and sanding. The undercarriage is quite fiddly too.

Cheers Mate,...... yeah Revell have re boxed quite a few SH kits,..... the 1/48th Spitfire Mk.Vc and 1/72nd Vampire spring to mind. This SH kit is quite a challenge, but mostly because the nose is a poor fit.

Thanks Chris,....... nah mate just clearing up the shelf of doom adding a few new builds like this into the mix! I enjoyed your Gosling and will look forward to the Spit and the Whirlwind mate,......fighter or helicopter,....... or do I need to ask? FRADU Huntes are always nice and the Boston Mk.V kit looks nice when it is done,.... I built one a while ago in RAF markings.

Thanks again folks and all the best

Tony 

Thanks Tony, the Gosling was a cracking build and am pleased with the results.  The Whirlwind is the fighter (can't wait for the Special Hobby 32nd kit to come out) .  My MkV is an RAF one which will be hopefully decalled this week.  The Spitfire is the Airfix Vb done as AB264 and I have been post shading/fading which is great fun, especially when brush painting as you well know I'm sure.

Keep turning out your cracking models Tony.  You always do wonderful subjects and your builds are always informative and inspirational, even if you do get me into trouble with SWMBO when you make me buy more kits!!!

Stay safe

All the best

Chris

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Wow! She's a beaut, Tony! I love the scheme and with that elongated nose, she looks really racy! Well done, mate! 👍

Mike

Thanks Mike,.... yeah I suppose it does look quite racey,.... like the long noses they applied to some US twins after the war to convert them into corporate transports? 

11 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Thanks Tony, the Gosling was a cracking build and am pleased with the results.  The Whirlwind is the fighter (can't wait for the Special Hobby 32nd kit to come out) .  My MkV is an RAF one which will be hopefully decalled this week.  The Spitfire is the Airfix Vb done as AB264 and I have been post shading/fading which is great fun, especially when brush painting as you well know I'm sure.

Keep turning out your cracking models Tony.  You always do wonderful subjects and your builds are always informative and inspirational, even if you do get me into trouble with SWMBO when you make me buy more kits!!!

Stay safe

All the best

Chris

Oops,.... sorry for the domestic turmoil mate,.... good job l have wide shoulders LOL! Look forward to seeing the new builds.

• Like 1