Battle of Britain Spitfire

Here's my recently completed Airfix 1/72 Spitfire Mk I, in the markings of No. 222 Squadron based at Hornchurch in September 1940. Lately, I've been losing bits of kits during construction and this time round the mainwheels went AWOL, so I had to order some resin replacements.  

I used Vallejo Model Air paints and applied a bit of weathering using pigments and a silver pencil. I deliberately avoided a pin wash as the panel lines are already far too well defined!

All the best,

Ian

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

With the Airfix Hurricane Mk I

spacer.png

And the Airfix Bf 109E.

• Like 58
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Very nice indeed they are look lovely, great work. Your carpet monster must be hungry!!! I have a similar problem at the moment with the carpet monster too. 

All the best

Chris

Thanks Chris. Over the years the carpet monster has digested innumerable aerials, pitot tubes and bits of etch, but on this occasion I think I just inadvertently knocked the wheels off the workbench, and they were later swallowed by the Dyson!  😄 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IanC said:

I've been losing bits of kits

Beautiful models Ian.

You must have a very hairy carpet monster, but it is difficult getting a trim during this lockdown.

regards, adey

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Booty003 said:

Lovely little Spit.  All 3 are very well done and look great together.  Have you tried using EZ line for the aerial wire?

Thanks. Yes I've been toying with the idea. Although you can barely see the real thing in this scale, it does add something to a model so I may give it a go. Perhaps on the Arma Hurricane IIC I've just started.

Great job.  Really nice.  Out of curiosity,  I've looked up the prices for resin add-ons... Wouldn't it have been cheaper simply to buy another Airfix Spit and use the wheels from that?   And you than have another Spit you can build and pose in flight.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Uncle Pete said:

Great job.  Really nice.  Out of curiosity,  I've looked up the prices for resin add-ons... Wouldn't it have been cheaper simply to buy another Airfix Spit and use the wheels from that?   And you than have another Spit you can build and pose in flight.

Thanks Pete. I did consider that, but found a set from SBS Model for only 3 quid at Hannants, so tacked them on to an order for some other bits and bobs. They're beautifully moulded too, with Dunlop visible on the sidewall!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cellarfrog said:

Very nice build!

The spit and hurricane have essentially symmetrically opposite camo schemes (flipped left/right). Was that intended?

Thanks for sharing.

Hi. Many thanks for your comment. No, the camouflage just worked out that way for these two particular aircraft. RAF Fighter Command had two disruptive schemes, 'A' and 'B' - each the mirror image of the other. The Spit is in the 'A' Scheme and the Hurri in the 'B' Scheme (think I've got that right..) I think it was determined by whether the serial was an even or odd number, although some airframes got the opposite! Not sure why they bothered really, and they later simplified it to just the 'A' Scheme.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, IanC said:

Hi. Many thanks for your comment. No, the camouflage just worked out that way for these two particular aircraft. RAF Fighter Command had two disruptive schemes, 'A' and 'B' - each the mirror image of the other. The Spit is in the 'A' Scheme and the Hurri in the 'B' Scheme (think I've got that right..) I think it was determined by whether the serial was an even or odd number, although some airframes got the opposite! Not sure why they bothered really, and they later simplified it to just the 'A' Scheme.

Very interesting! Thanks for that.

Congratulations on a very high quality build. Some may say too clean for BoB, but I like it and believe that the ground staff took great pride in their charges, even when being very busy fighting a war. 

2 hours ago, FinnAndersen said:

Congratulations on a very high quality build. Some may say too clean for BoB, but I like it and believe that the ground staff took great pride in their charges, even when being very busy fighting a war. 

Thank you. This particular aircraft lasted barely a week! It first flew on 27 August 1940. On 4 September it was shot down and, sadly, 20 year old P/O John Cutts killed. In the only photo I can find of it you can see that apart from a bit of an exhaust stain the aircraft looks brand new, so perhaps the clean look is appropriate in this case.

Thanks again for your kind comment.

Edited by IanC

I'm always facinated by the stories of those many 20-year olds who were defending Britain from the Luftwaffe in their thoororugbred Spifires and who perished in the process. Your model is a fitting tribute to John Cutts, whose remains were not correctly identified after the BoB,  but thanks to the efforts of Dilip Sarkar and Andy Saunders have since been correctly identified and accorded rightful tribute. Well done on the model.  I always love a good tale to go with it. Paul Nash

• Like 1

On 11/05/2020 at 20:30, IanC said:

Although you can barely see the real thing in this scale, it does add something to a model so I may give it a go. Perhaps on the Arma Hurricane IIC I've just started.

A change in radio sets meant the stopped being needed.  if the aerial post has a little triangular tag, it has a line.  if not,  no line'

An exception to this is the pole antenna seen on early Hurricanes, which does have a line.

as always. try to find a reference pic.. 

• Like 1