1:48 ICM Spitfire Mk VII to a Mk XI conversion

Starting this build today - using the ICM Mk VII kit as a base (haven't seen people using it before - all i've seen is XIX -> XI , not VII -> VII).

The aircraft I'm building is PL983 in her current guise, as shown below. This XI doesn't have the under wing cameras or the deep chin. It also does not have the landing gear bulges and, as it's a later XI, has a pointed rudder. She also currently has fishtail exhausts fitted, so I'm using Eduard's resin for them. 

These photos are my own and they will be my reference, along with anything else I can find. 

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

I've ordered some Xtradecal white serial numbers for the 2x PL983 and the L on the nose.  I'll hand paint the signature in front of the cockpit. I've also bought a vacform canopy for the XIX, which I'll just the front windshield for as I believe its the pressurised version. Also bought the Quickboost Spitfire XI camera set.

These should be delivered by the end of the week at the least. 

In the mean time, I've started work on the 3 cameras (below are the two ones which face down)

spacer.pngspacer.png

Also managed to salvage some parts from other kits, including some left over PE for the engine and some decals. 

spacer.png

The plan is (in order roughly) :

- Build the cameras

- Engine 

- Cockpit detailing

- Installation of the cameras (providing the parts come in time, all other steps will only be done once its been delivered) 

- Joining of two fuselage halfs.  

- Prop 

- Landing gear and other details

- Wings (Converting to PR XI, removal of guns etc.)

- Joining the fueslage and wings 

- Adding on the extra parts (landing gear etc.) 

Also, the aircraft will be displayed with the canopy and door open, landing gear down, flaps up, the chin cowling in place but the top and side cowlings off. This should be the best balance of showing the aircraft as what it is - one of L's unique features is the chin cowl which isn't standard for Mk XIs. 

I'll try my best to update this topic as and when I can. It should be daily updates between now and next week or so. 

Thanks all

• Like 4

Here are the 3 cameras - one will be changed to the 'oblique' version soon. 

spacer.pngspacer.png

For the camera lenses, I used my own images which I created in photoshop and printed on glossy paper. If anyone wants them, they are here 

spacer.png

They should be (for 1:48) about 5.5 -> 5.7mm in diameter. 

Edited by Olly_5
correction of sizes for lens
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Drilling holes in the fueslage and under wing for the cameras.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

And now construction of the engine. The basic 'shell' will be straight out of the box, but i'll add several other bits to make it more realistic.

spacer.png

Just put the cylinders onto the engine block and the rocker covers on. All going well so far 

• Like 2

You’re a brave man, the ICM Spitfires can present quite a challenge. How do you plan to depict the extra bulge of the chin cowling. I’ve taken the easy way out and bought a Quickboost PR conversion for my planned build.

Looking forward to this.

John

Muhaha !! I'm no longer alone in my lunacy !!:evil_laugh:

Great job and great idea !!

Nice start,

There is a vac formed pack from Squadron with all the canpies for all the Spitfires !!

Just my token, not expensive and really helpfull !

Sincerely.

CC

If you are going for Falcon canopies check the width as ICM were a bit slim at the top of the spine. I put in a wedge of plastic on second build with vacuum transparency. 

Watching as you go. 

Grant

8 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

You’re a brave man, the ICM Spitfires can present quite a challenge. How do you plan to depict the extra bulge of the chin cowling. I’ve taken the easy way out and bought a Quickboost PR conversion for my planned build.

Looking forward to this.

John

The lucky thing is PL983 has a normal chin cowling, so I'm cheating slightly haha. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Vanroon said:

If you are going for Falcon canopies check the width as ICM were a bit slim at the top of the spine. I put in a wedge of plastic on second build with vacuum transparency. 

Watching as you go. 

Grant

spacer.png

This is the canopy I bought. Ebay link here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rob-Taurus-48074-1-48-Vacform-Canopy-Supermarine-Spitfire-Mk-XIX-Airfix/392102359902?hash=item5b4b1f335e:g:WzUAAOSwiJJbcqYs

8 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Muhaha !! I'm no longer alone in my lunacy !!:evil_laugh:

Great job and great idea !!

Nice start,

There is a vac formed pack from Squadron with all the canpies for all the Spitfires !!

Just my token, not expensive and really helpfull !

Sincerely.

CC

haha we're both lunatics! i didn't know about that pack - i'll have a look and see if I can find one. Thanks! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Olly_5 said:

haha we're both lunatics! i didn't know about that pack - i'll have a look and see if I can find one. Thanks! 

Big yellow H still got it methink !

CC

14 hours ago, Olly_5 said:

I've not had the pleasure of using that brand. Look nice. 

Measure the sill width of the canopy and a dry fit of the ICM fuselage at the same point. 

Today was mainly spent finishing off the merlin, prop and painting the main pieces that are blue. The ICM merlin lacks a fair bit of detail - so I added some wiring and other bits around the engine.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Still not entirely sure about the exhaust colour. 

Now painting the larger parts and finishing them off before putting them together.

spacer.png

Here you can see one of the underside camera holes

spacer.png

And she's now christened - 'L'. 

spacer.png

• Like 2