…I say Whippet…Whippet good…

Hello everybody!

I’ve been voyeuristically watching activity on Britmodeller for a while and thought it was about time I joined in. I have to say that I’m hugely impressed with the quality of work on display here; it’s been a real inspiration.

I’ve made a recent come-back to armour models after a 35 or so year hiatus that has seen me complete a few aeroplanes, but on my return to AFV’s, I’ve been wowed by how the hobby has progressed. My first new project was a Rye-Field panther – wow! – quite an improvement over early 80’s kits!

For my second vehicle, I decided to dabble with a bit of scratch-building. The days of needing to scratch-build because of a lack of kits at a given scale appear to have gone, but what the hell, I thought I’d give it a go just for the challenge. That said, upon final measurement, it appears that my effort is actually nearer to 1:30 scale than 1:35, so I suppose there is a twisted justification after all!

The final construction and painting were completed under “no-airbrush” lockdown conditions, but thanks to a simple colour scheme I think I got away with the hairy stick work.

I collected a few WIP pics of this as I went, so I could do a brief retrospective WIP if anyone’s interested – let me know.

Please forgive me if pictures don't appear, and please let me know if they don't - new to all this....

49882215116_9a02c0c430_k.jpg

49882525297_caecf5e53f_k.jpg

49881692188_c90b9359c5_k.jpg

49882527957_002e4082ac_k.jpg

• Like 46

So, are you saying that this is fully scratch-built?

If so then WOW!

If not, it's still pretty damn good. 

WIP - yes please.

• Like 1

yes - all scratched from plastic sheet, rod etc. I did cast a few repetitive bits in resin (track links, wooden track blocks, gun ports etc.) and the boxes on the back are coffee stirrers.

ok; I'll cobble together some WIP bits and post them up.

Thanks for the feedback - very much appreciated! It's good to be here...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm just starting out on scratching and it looks like I may be able to learn a lot from your techniques - particularly in regard to the tracks, so a WIP would be very welcome. 

Ahh, really... thank you all so much.

To be honest it really wasn't that tricky - I was careful to pick a vehicle with no visible wheels, simple track links and no curved surfaces to keep it easy. A T34 or sherman would have been a different story altogether. I used a card model template as a starting point which almost makes it a kit - take a look at the landships website...

http://www.landships.info/landships/models.html#

I've been bashing the keyboard this morning so should have a WIP up soon....

• Like 1

That's very impressive work. I especially admire your scratch building skills and patience.

I was going to scratch some additional items for my kit built one but was too impatient to start another build.

Wayne

Hi Model Mate

What a stunning first in 35 build....sorry scratch build, i didn't have the courage after my long layoff to start with a full scratch project so have been doing small scratch builds of minor parts to build up my confidence but seeing quality projects like this really gives me the itch to get back into a full project again.

This is an absolutely beautiful build and the detail level is quite breathtaking and the use of the hairy sticks to get that level of finish is a real eye opener.

Hats of to you sir i seriously can't wait to see what comes next. 

Stay safe and thanks so much for sharing your stunning skill set with us all.

:goodjob:

Steve

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
15 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

That's quite good I suppose, for a scratch build. Yeah, it's ok.

Seriously, it's brilliant. How long did it take? And what is the scale?

Haha! thanks. It took quite a while - about 6 months I think, and the scale….. well, it was supposed to be 1/35, but I only realised as I was about to start painting that it was actually closer to 1/30 due to a schoolboy error in printing out the templates.

I nearly had the same problem on my current scratchbuild, but luckily caught it in time.