Gustav is watching you...

As someone a bit obsessed with Bf 109s, I was surprised by two things I realised recently. Firstly, I finished my 19th build and still didn't have on my shelf one of the iconic G-6s with silly eyes painted on the bulges. Secondly, I've been sitting on the new Tamiya 1/72 for so long I was questioning my loyalties by no building it. Fortunately, the latter includes decals to solve the former!

So here it is, my 20th Bf 109 build: Bf 109G-6 of JG51 based in Bulgaria in 1944, with the obligatory eyes. Tamiya's decals for the eyes are very well designed and they fit accurately, but are a bit thick. Still, painting yellow seems to be the bane of my modelling time (unfortunate for a Lufwaffe fan), so I went with the decals as the lesser evil. I'll say that they snuggled down far better than I feared, but still not as well as I had hoped.

Kit is Tamiya 1/72, OOB except the radio wire and canopy holding wire.

All brush painted with Xtracrylix, except for rattle can priming and generic/internal colours that are Humbrol or Revell.

I bit the bullet with this project and gave it a final Matt coat. I have been avoiding doing this as I haven't found a Matt that doesn't cloud or go white and I've been terrified of ruining projects (plus I quite like glossy planes), but I finally got some "Winsor and Newton Galleria Acrylic Matt Varnish". After some testing and practice I gritted my teeth and painted it on this 109 and... pfew, it looks OK!

I also tried something a bit different for the photography, still room to improve here.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Great Gustav! 👍Yes the 109 is addictive isn't it? I've got 5 built and another 6 or so in the stash. So many variations and colour schemes to choose from....... 

Edited by binbrook87
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all!

21 hours ago, binbrook87 said:

Great Gustav! 👍Yes the 109 is addictive isn't it? I've got 5 built and another 6 or so in the stash. So many variations and colour schemes to choose from....... 

I've got 2 in the stash and a 3rd in the post, but just off the top of my head I can easily think of 20 more schemes I'd like to do. Plus I would gradually want to retire and re-do older builds as my skills improve.