1/72 JU 52 Float Plane

Next up from under the bench is the Italeri JU52. Another'80s classic. Don't know why I keep punishing myself with
these old kits, they can be quite testing or perhaps it's just my incompetence. Painting was a nightmare with 
paint bleed under the masking along the corrugations. I had to strip it back twice but I'm reasonably happy
with the outcome.

Just as an aside, I find it amazing that this aircraft according to 'Wiki' was in production from 1931 to 1952  
as a freighter, troop carrier, air ambulance and goodness knows what else. A tribute to Junkers engineers and designers indeed. 49874799726_fd361f16e2_z.jpg

49875113247_d7a74e54dc_z.jpg

49873635063_935b162fd0_z.jpg

49873635433_4375c2aed8_z.jpg

49874284143_63abcd4108_z.jpg

49874166061_da5d5d070c_z.jpg

49873636868_f50fca3e72_z.jpg

• Like 32

6 hours ago, Ruskin Air Services said:

Nice result, not an often seen kit. To stop your masking nightmares seal the edge of the masking tape with either matt or gloss varnish I find it works a treat. 

Thank's for your comments. Second time around I did actually use varnish to seal the tape but I guess I didn't thin it enough. It clogged the corrugation and left a visible line along the masking. I had to pick it out with a pin. Deep joy!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Just as an aside, I find it amazing that this aircraft according to 'Wiki' was in production from 1931 to 1952  
as a freighter, troop carrier, air ambulance and goodness knows what else.

Try 'civil airliner'! 😉It was a backbone of the Deutsche Luft Hansa, which eventually operated some 230 Ju 52/3m in the prewar years. It was also sold to airlines in Brazil, Finland and Sweden.

Excellent Tante Ju. Your third coat of paint looks really good!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 2

Very well finished.

Many years ago when I was much younger I built the Airfix version of the Ju 52, complete with floats, as soon as I had finished it I proudly showed it off to my parents before leaving my newest pride and joy on a chair.  Minutes later I sat down, followed immediately by the worrying sound of crunching plastic ...........

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

It was also sold to airlines in Brazil, Finland and Sweden.

Also to many other countries among them  Poland (LOT Polish Airlines). Full list is here, it is really amazing, almost like DC3!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Junkers_Ju_52_operators

Vinnie, very nice  result!

Regards

J-W

• Like 2

This is the very first Ju-52 that I have seen sporting floats in kilt form.  The dang thing had to take everything in it possible to become airborne with those drag inducing floats hanging underneath.  I like how you mastered the color demarcations and seams.  :goodjob:

Mike 

• Like 1

On 5/11/2020 at 4:34 PM, Spitfire31 said:

Try 'civil airliner'! 😉It was a backbone of the Deutsche Luft Hansa, which eventually operated some 230 Ju 52/3m in the prewar years. It was also sold to airlines in Brazil, Finland and Sweden.

Excellent Tante Ju. Your third coat of paint looks really good!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thanks, Joachim. Much appreciated.

On 5/11/2020 at 4:53 PM, Pedro1 said:

Nice result with the Ju52 Vinnie! And you are building these 'old' kits because it is so much fun 🙂

Peter

Thanks, Peter. I think I've just got bored with run of the mill models and despite the frustrations with 40 year old models, they are as you say, fun.:lol:

On 5/11/2020 at 5:04 PM, Richard E said:

Very well finished.

Many years ago when I was much younger I built the Airfix version of the Ju 52, complete with floats, as soon as I had finished it I proudly showed it off to my parents before leaving my newest pride and joy on a chair.  Minutes later I sat down, followed immediately by the worrying sound of crunching plastic ...........

Thanks, Richard. Oh dear that was unfortunate. So now you have an excuse to build another one:wicked:

Great job on the old Auntie Ju!  I know what you mean about the corrugated skin, I build the Airfix kit (as a floatplane) when it was first released, and oh, the fun I had trying to get the decals (transfers in those days) to sit in the corrugations.  No setting agents in those halcyon days, either, and I didn't know about varnish to seal them once down.  Wish mine had looked like yours!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, JWM said:

Also to many other countries among them  Poland (LOT Polish Airlines). Full list is here, it is really amazing, almost like DC3!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Junkers_Ju_52_operators

Vinnie, very nice  result!

Regards

J-W

Thanks, Jerzy. Appreciate your comments.

16 hours ago, Aces High said:

Wow, that's magnificent! Shows you don't need the latest and greatest kit to make an outstanding model.

Thanks. Was a struggle to get it over the line but I'm happy with it.

15 hours ago, Sky Keg said:

This is the very first Ju-52 that I have seen sporting floats in kilt form.  The dang thing had to take everything in it possible to become airborne with those drag inducing floats hanging underneath.  I like how you mastered the color demarcations and seams.  :goodjob:

Mike 

Thank's for your comments, Mike

4 hours ago, zigster said:

Those photos do not show amount of work, you put into that oldie, yet I like to see an aircraft other than P51...and so on...

Good job! :yahoo:

Thanks, Zigster. It makes a change to get away from the mainstream models.

9 hours ago, 593jones said:

Great job on the old Auntie Ju!  I know what you mean about the corrugated skin, I build the Airfix kit (as a floatplane) when it was first released, and oh, the fun I had trying to get the decals (transfers in those days) to sit in the corrugations.  No setting agents in those halcyon days, either, and I didn't know about varnish to seal them once down.  Wish mine had looked like yours!

Thank you. Believe me, even with Microsol the decals were a mare so you did well to get them down without it.:facepalm: