Airfix Meteor lll.*******Finished*************

Hi folk's I'm not even going to kid myself that this will be my last effort for this GB, now I had this as a contender from the start and one has come my way in time.

I built a few of these as a kid they fascinated me as Britain's first operational jet fighter which later mark's were not long retired by the time I first built one,I'm loosing 

track now but if I've got it right this one will follow the Hurricane! Should be here next week it's a 90's boxing.

• Like 4

Another Airfix Classic getting the Steve treatment! I'm looking forward to it.

It's a plane that fascinates me. Apparently it was a bit of a handful, with an appalling loss rate. Things like that rarely get a mention though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dansk said:

I love your enthusiasm for this Steve. Awesome. 👍i love meteors so i’m excited to see yours develop.

It's like being a kid again Dansk,thankfully until the Heller GB later this year I'm toning it down for the next few GB's.

24 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

There really is no stopping you is there Steve :) .

I never built the Meteor so I'm interested to see how you get on with this one.

Thank's Craig,been a good 40 odd years since I last tackled this kit we'll see what turns up it looked as new in the photo's especially the two choice

decal sheet which gave it a way as a later boxing it's number four in the running order I'm sticking to my finish one before starting one rule so be a few 

week's.

11 minutes ago, TonyW said:

Another Airfix Classic getting the Steve treatment! I'm looking forward to it.

It's a plane that fascinates me. Apparently it was a bit of a handful, with an appalling loss rate. Things like that rarely get a mention though.

Thank's Tony, it's a rivet monster but  a decent shape I'm no fan of the one piece molded wheels but really wanted to get one had to go to £12 for

it but postage was free,of course us kids had it dog fighting Me262,s back then but the two never met in combat I think this will be my last the only

other kit I'd like to get is the Whirlwind fighter if a reasonably priced one comes along,

• Like 3

You're right about it being a rivet monster, it will have the skin off your knuckles if you're not careful. The wheels look fine once painted, I had forgotten about them until you mentioned it. Will you be sanding the rivets off? I've wanted to do one like that for ages. There's a lot I've wanted to do for ages though!

Here's one of mine, straight out the box, done in Humbrol  colours. The snow base is a nod to the original box top painting.

IMG-1370.jpg

• Like 9

57 minutes ago, TonyW said:

Will you be sanding the rivets off?

I may well tone them down Tony,that looks great I love the way you present your build's and in a nod to that I try to do a stand shot and box top where possible,

they as you probably know painted them in a white distemper in Winter early 1945.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Steve,

Managed to get an Aeroclub u/c for mine a few years after I built it wheels up.  Looks a bit better perhaps  now it is standing on its wheels and the white metal certainly helped getting the nose down. Probably wrong but are the wing mounted spoilers/speed brakes seperate - if so I seem to remember they needed a bit of work to stop them sticking up too far - may be thinking of another kit. I believe I have read that the white finish was to aid in recognition and that they toured various airfields, particularly American, in the hopes of reducing the risk of "friendly fire". Ditto AA sites and presumably the Navy as they seemed to shoot at anything "just in case"! They also participated in simulated attacks on US bomber formations to help them work out tactics for dealing with German jets. apparently.

Good luck with the builds.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Jb65rams said:

Nice choice, this was the first kit I ever built. I built it again for the Airfix Golden Years GB in 2018.

Now that looks great maybe removing the rivets is not really needed.

9 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Now that looks great maybe removing the rivets is not really needed.

I've got one at the painting stage - I removed the rivets for the most part, not sure it was worth the effort though. 🤔

• Like 1

Afternoon folk's,kit arrived  yesterday got  it for a reasonable £12 including postage no box but all present,in the sellers photograph the decals looked

good and they are.I haven't laid eyes on this one for year's should be fun.

20200516_111144

• Like 6

Those decals look similar to the ones that have given me colossal problems over in the Lancaster GB. The separate red centres give the game away. Mine seemed to be made of lino, with just as much give in them.

I would recommend trying the name badge out first before having a go at the markings proper.

11 minutes ago, TonyW said:

I would recommend trying the name badge out first before having a go at the markings proper.

Will do Tony.

I'm keen to see what you do with this Steve. I've still got the one I did probably close to 50 years ago now, one of the first I did with correct colours from my Humbrol Authentics. I've also got a sealed kit in stock, I'll probably tart up the old one & build the kit as the RNZAF (we had 1 post war) one!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

I'm keen to see what you do with this Steve. I've still got the one I did probably close to 50 years ago now, one of the first I did with correct colours from my Humbrol Authentics. I've also got a sealed kit in stock, I'll probably tart up the old one & build the kit as the RNZAF (we had 1 post war) one!

Thank's Steve,it's been many a year since I last tackled this kit so really looking forward to a start.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,I knew the "one at a time" building wouldn't last long but to be fair the Henchel's and SM79 are within a day or so of completion,so I made a start

on this one,not much can be seen in the cockpit but I added pedal's and a control stick anyway.

20200525_202913

• Like 6

Morning folk's,little more progress,"pit" painted with a dry brush of aluminium and the supplied decal used,once the nose weight was added I buttoned

up the fuselage and fitted the wing's.Next step is to clean up the fuselage join all in all so far a breeze.

20200528_090424

Just a touch of filler needed on the port wing joint.

20200528_104459

• Like 9

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Thats coming together very nicely Steve.

Faultless so far Craig,just got in from work and the other kits have arrived so I'll post pics soon the Battle looks pretty well molded for its age with good

decal's,the Frog Beaufighter has decent decal's too,the Hien is very basic but with a decent paint job the excellent decal sheet should lift it.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Looks great Steve

Never got round to building the meteor and you aren't helping the stash situation at all, making want to add to it !

Good luck

One of the problems this GB has me facing too Pat,I got everything finalised for the new Job yesterday so modelling time after July 6th will be restricted to

evening's which I haven't done for over ten years now and really is a summer only thing as its a bit cold and dark up in't loft in Winter,good thing is no more

Weekends to work so morning sessions still possible.

• Like 3

Evening folk's,bit of progress over the weekend,undersides painted then two coats of gray and green each brushed on.Next step will be a fine brush

to smooth off the edging in places then paint the fuselage band.

20200531_195116

• Like 6