One more! Finnish Mukelo

reini

Right. So we got one extra week - and @trickyrich tricked me to build one more. :D Oh well, why not!

So let's go with something that is doable in a week:

spacer.png

Hobby Boss easy assembly kit. And so that it's not too easy - some Kuivalainen (Eduard) etch. Decals - not sure where I got those...

This MiG-15UTI actually ties in nicely my Finnish planes in this GB. Gnat was the first proper fighter in the Finnish Air Force since the war that was atleast somewhat relevant at the time of it's purchase. It was quickly outclassed though - as the aviation industry was moving so fast. MiG-21F-13 followed - and while it did not replace Gnat as such (Draken did), it made it more or less obsolete in FAF. With the purchase of the MiG-21's, four MiG-15UTI's were also bought. It was used as interim trainer between the Fouga Magister and MiG-21F as no dedicated two seater MiG-21 trainer was available. But MiG-15UTI proved to be of little use in Finnish Air Force, there was no real need for such plane type. But, my point being - the thing that ties my Finnish GB builds together - Gnat, MiG-21F-13 and MiG-15UTI all served in the Finnish Air Force at the same time.

spacer.png

Whats in the box. It's labeled as an 'Easy Assembly' kit - but it's still a proper kit nevertheless. Pretty nice detail, just maybe little less parts than normally. Like the wings are one part and so on.

spacer.png

PE will detail nicely the rather spartan cockpit.

spacer.png

Cockpit without PE...

spacer.png

spacer.png

... and with PE.

spacer.png

All the extra bits, ready for primer.

spacer.png

... aand the fuselage & wings assembled! :D I better stop now so that I don't have to post this to the RFI area straight away :D 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Excellent! Delighted to see you cracking on with one more subject and all the more so as it's a type I think not yet represented. Looks to be a nice kit and fully enhanced with the Eduard set :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Gee Ezno...opps I mean Reini  :D   , you are moving very quickly with this new build!! 

i've never seen PE used of one of these types of models before! It really works and the cockpit looks great!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/05/2020 at 01:06, RidgeRunner said:

Remember that the Hobbyboss has an incorrect nosewheel leg. It sits wrongly. 

Thanks Martin :) 

spacer.png

Indeed that seems to be the case. Seems to be easy enough fit though.

spacer.png

I just cut the forward bar and twisted the leg. Applied some glue for reinforcement. Different matter altogether is what that does to the way the plane sits in the ground, but we will sort that out once we are there :P Might need to shorten the leg a little bit, we will see.

spacer.png

Seats are done.

spacer.png

Main landing gear legs got some additional details.

spacer.png

I replaced the gun (actually I think it could have been 12,7mm machine gun in the UTI) with injection needle. And when I say replaced, I mean I lost the original part and had to come up with a new one! :D But plastic gun barrels don't look very good so good upgrade anyways.

spacer.png

And so, canopy framed we are ready for primer!

spacer.png

I used Tamiya X-1 black which is gloss.

spacer.png

With the same time I primed my Airfix MiG-17 :) The surface is looking bit rough on the UTI, my airbrush settings were bit off when I started. Might need to do light sanding & respray once dry.

So that's where we are now. Sorry for the slow updates, I didn't have time to advance this project on monday & tuesday :P 

• Like 5

That's a clever fix for the front undercarriage leg and some tidy detail work on the other parts :thumbsup:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, reini said:

just cut the forward bar and twisted the leg. Applied some glue for reinforcement. Different matter altogether is what that does to the way the plane sits in the ground, but we will sort that out once we are there :P Might need to shorten the leg a little bit, we will see.

I think you will be okay, Reini. The MiG-15 sat slightly nose high. 

• Like 1

nice wee bit of stretchy work on the nose gear! That PE gear is really bringing it to life, clever idea to use it with this model.

Lucky the background was blurred in that last photo, else I would have had to check your paints were in number order!!!! OCD Rich is watching!!! :hmmm:

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Lucky the background was blurred in that last photo, else I would have had to check your paints were in number order!!!! OCD Rich is watching!!! :hmmm:

No worries Rich! I have ordered them by paint type (Model Color, Model Air), general color (browns, greens, greys) and paint number! :D

spacer.png

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, trickyrich said:

thank god there is order in the universe......I can even overlook they're in decreasing order instead of increasing! :D

It's the resin withdrawl kicking in isn't it :blink2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/12/2020 at 1:06 AM, RidgeRunner said:

Remember that the Hobbyboss has an incorrect nosewheel leg. It sits wrongly. 

Hi all,

It looks like the HB's landing gear is based on an engineless museum plane with main legs with a light load but nose gear suspended in. To get the model sit in the correct in stance might need modification of both nose- and main gears or robbing the lg from some other source. Comparison with either Eduard or Airfix MiG-17 might show the correct lenght for them. Before Eduard I had picked up Airfix new-tool lg to be used with HobbyBoss.

Another thing is that the HB extra fuel tanks differ from the Finnish ones.

Cheers,

AaCee

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AaCee26 said:

Hi all,

It looks like the HB's landing gear is based on an engineless museum plane with main legs with a light load but nose gear suspended in. To get the model sit in the correct in stance might need modification of both nose- and main gears or robbing the lg from some other source. Comparison with either Eduard or Airfix MiG-17 might show the correct lenght for them. Before Eduard I had picked up Airfix new-tool lg to be used with HobbyBoss.

Another thing is that the HB extra fuel tanks differ from the Finnish ones.

Well, as it happens I'm building the Airfix MiG-17 at the same time.

spacer.png

Main landing gear legs, Hobby Boss on the left, Airfix on the right. The stance on the HB is bit different (more upright) and is bit longer.

spacer.png

The nose gear, (modified) Hobby Boss on the left, Airfix on the right. Again, HB is bit taller - but then again the attachment to the fuselage is bit different too. Difference is about the same as with the main landing gears - so I'm suspecting the final stance of the planes are pretty close, HB just might sit just a tad higher. Difficult to say for sure until the gears are fixed on the planes.

Interesting also with this photo, it can be seen  that the details of the Airfix kit are not the sharpest. It's a bit lacking in detail, or the details are more vague. 

Also can be seen my poor attempt at tidying up the parts :D 

• Like 1

Moving forwards, the main color is on - which is Vallejo Metal Color Semi Matte Aluminium, same that I used with the MiG-21.

spacer.png

Also painted pretty much all the small stuff.

Things to do:

-Mask & paint Aluminium & Duraluminium panels

-Mask & paint walkways on the wingroots

-Decals

-Wash & weathering

-Glue landing gears & antenna

-Finishing touch ups, signal lights etc.

So only six steps to go, but most require bit of time - and also bit of time to dry. But as with the MiG-21, I'm not giving this any clear coats, that speeds things up a bit. Hoping to finish the painting tonight, but it might be tomorrow morning until I get around to do it.

Until next time, sunday is closing in fast! :) 

• Like 4

Alright, still pretty much in schedule!

spacer.png

Masked some of the more shinier panels that were to be painted with Vallejo Metal Color Aluminium.

spacer.png

And masked the walkways.

spacer.png

And here's the result. The Semi Matte Aluminium (the main color) and Aluminium (some of the panels) are quite similar in color, it's just that Aluminium is bit more shinier. It's hard to capture that in photos but it creates nice and lively surface where some of the panels react to light differently than others. One of the main reasons I'm not going to clear coat this model.

spacer.png

While the grey paint on the wingroots was still fresh, I made some chipping with a stiff brush, scratching the paint.

spacer.png

And the decals are on! Note the number '4' on the nose that is 'closed' - at some point it was changed to 'open' as can be seen in the first photo of this post.

And the 'list':

-Mask & paint Aluminium & Duraluminium panels

-Mask & paint walkways on the wingroots

-Decals

-Wash & weathering

-Glue landing gears & antenna

-Finishing touch ups, signal lights etc.

Even if those last three final things on the list seem like a quick job - they always take quite a lot of time. Still, should be no problem finishing this tomorrow!

• Like 4

spacer.png

Wash is done & wiped off the excess. It will also do as a weathering for this plane, I'm keeping this fairly clean, I felt like I went bit too dirty with the MiG-21.

spacer.png

Cockpit masks off. You can actually see some of the PE parts inside the cockpit! :thumbsup:

spacer.png

Landing gear are on. 

spacer.png

After gluing the landing gear, I remembered that the sit of the plane was probably off - and it was. It looks like level, but MiG-15 should sit tail low. It's bit weird that it sits level as I made the nose landing gear bit taller.  So I would assume it would have made the tail low, but I guess not. I wonder how it was originally... oh well, main landing gears off and  lets shorten them.

spacer.png

Luckily the glue had not fully set yet - and the landing gear glue tabs were too long in the first place. So I chopped half of them off and it made big difference on the overall look - little bit tail low, looks much more like a MiG-15 now.

spacer.png

Antenna coming in. I also thought that it would be nice to make the antenna wire, I've never done it before. I did not have anything close by that I could have used - except streched sprue. Right, how hard can it be?

spacer.png

Well, pretty hard as I found out :D So lets forget that and move on!

spacer.png

Well, it pretty much meant that the plane is done!

spacer.png

spacer.png

And together with the rest of the Finnish builds for this GB I made. More pics in the gallery shortly! :) 

Wow, so that was a one week build, started last sunday. Still few hours to spare! :D Buiild no 7 for this GB, I think I've done my part :D 

Thanks for looking in, I'll see ya all in the next Nordic GB. And quite a few other GB's in the meanwhile... speaking of which, got two Navy builds to finish and Journeys & Buccaneer are waiting to be started. Not to mention my 'own' diorama ambitions. Good thing is that my summer holiday starts in two weeks.

• Like 6

well done Reini!!!!  :yahoo:She's done and she looks amazing, that cockpit looks so good!

I really don't believe it's one of those quick build models!! Those PE extras and she looks as nice as one of those full models.

Haha...stretched sprue!! :D  I won't say how many attempts it took me to get it right when I started using it again!

I think you can take a well earned break now, it was a huge effort fo the GB, one of a select group that built 5+ models!

I really do hope you enjoyed the GB, was a huge pleasure to have you along and you help to others....thank you.

will be seeing you for Ragnar's holiday trip! :D

• Thanks 1