That elusive P-51D prototype

silberpferd

Hi all,

Most P-51 fans know about 43-12102, the first P-51 to fly with a bubble canopy, basically a D fuselage with a B wing

Zrshop7.jpg

but, how about a Mustang with a B fuselage and a D wing...

tWTq9Ex.jpg

Beside the modified 43-12102, NAA had subsequently taken two other P-51Bs from production lines, 42-106539 and 42-106540. They were supposedly brought to P-51D standarts, and labelled P-51D-1-NA. To my knowledge, no picture showing those two planes has ever surfaced,  beside the two published in Michael O'Leary's book, "Building the P-51 Mustang", one showing the cockpit with the important data plates, identifying the plane as 42-106540, and the other showing the right wing, with the 3 guns and the 5 rockets.

Althought blurry, the picture showing the tail indicates that this is 42-106540 (strangely enough, they have not painted the "2"), and that the fuselage was not modified, unlike the wing.

Laurent

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Excuse me, but are there other scales than 1/72?  Actually I can blame it on having had two cataract operations but only one final corrective lens because of a badly-chosen date for lockdown.  So occasionally I'm sitting at just the wrong distance and misread a posting.  Well, it's some kind of excuse anyway.

• Like 1

Is it just me, or do I fail to see a D wing kink in the photos of the high back Mustang with rockets? 

The B/C had a, admittedly, smaller wing kink, but it was there. If I could just see the main gear doors, I would be convinced.

Edit: Now I see the landing light, but...

Edited by FinnAndersen

On 11/05/2020 at 13:29, FinnAndersen said:

Is it just me, or do I fail to see a D wing kink in the photos of the high back Mustang with rockets? 

The B/C had a, admittedly, smaller wing kink, but it was there. If I could just see the main gear doors, I would be convinced.

Edit: Now I see the landing light, but...

The kink is here, known as expanded leading edge in NAA documents.

jp1dja4.jpg

On 11/05/2020 at 01:53, gingerbob said:

Very interesting, but dare I ask where you came up with this?

They are screen capture of a movie I was sent recently.

Laurent

Edited by silberpferd
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, silberpferd said:

The kink is here, known as expanded leading edge in NAA documents.

They are screen capture of a movie I was sent recently.

Laurent

Ok, I rest my case, having learnt something new.

/Finn

On 5/10/2020 at 1:25 PM, silberpferd said:

Hi all,

Most P-51 fans know about 43-12102, the first P-51 to fly with a bubble canopy, basically a D fuselage with a B wing

Zrshop7.jpg

but, how about a Mustang with a B fuselage and a D wing...

tWTq9Ex.jpg

Beside the modified 43-12102, NAA had subsequently taken two other P-51Bs from production lines, 42-106539 and 42-106540. They were supposedly brought to P-51D standarts, and labelled P-51D-1-NA. To my knowledge, no picture showing those two planes has ever surfaced,  beside the two published in Michael O'Leary's book, "Building the P-51 Mustang", one showing the cockpit with the important data plates, identifying the plane as 42-106540, and the other showing the right wing, with the 3 guns and the 5 rockets.

Althought blurry, the picture showing the tail indicates that this is 42-106540 (strangely enough, they have not painted the "2"), and that the fuselage was not modified, unlike the wing.

Laurent

I believe those still have "B" wings. Here is a "D" wing to compare. Note the length along the wing of the root extension.

spacer.png

spacer.png

19 minutes ago, Nachtwulf said:

I believe those still have "B" wings.

I'm not so sure- if you look at the 3-4 frontal photo, you can see the landing light  extended from the wheel bay; B/C Mustangs had the landing light in the leading edge of the LH wing, and D/K's had the light in the wheel bay with a wooden roller that the gear strut pushed against to retract the light when the gear was cycled. Plus, the leading edge at the wing root does not appear to  have the turned down edge that is a feature of the B/C wing.

Mike

• Like 1

Looking at the outboard position of the kink (top right picture) is what makes me think it was a D wing - it appears to approach the wing guns.  I'll take others' word for the landing light but there does seem to be a longer extension of the kink on the fuselage.  Also, aren't three guns in the wings a bit of a give-away?

6 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

I'm not so sure- if you look at the 3-4 frontal photo, you can see the landing light  extended from the wheel bay; B/C Mustangs had the landing light in the leading edge of the LH wing, and D/K's had the light in the wheel bay with a wooden roller that the gear strut pushed against to retract the light when the gear was cycled. Plus, the leading edge at the wing root does not appear to  have the turned down edge that is a feature of the B/C wing.

Mike

2 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Looking at the outboard position of the kink (top right picture) is what makes me think it was a D wing - it appears to approach the wing guns.  I'll take others' word for the landing light but there does seem to be a longer extension of the kink on the fuselage.  Also, aren't three guns in the wings a bit of a give-away?

You guys may be right. The poor focus of the pictures and my cursed eyesight might be the problem!:nerd:

I also mistook what the original poster was saying. I thought he was referring to the first picture as having a D wing, which he did not. I'll crawl back into my hole..........my.... precious........

• Like 1