Clear the Decks - SAAB Gripen and friends

I've a few odds and sods kicking around my workbench and I've decided that they're to be tidied up before I move on to any more substantial builds. So I'll be clearing the decks so to speak before choosing the next project. 

First up was this overdue repair. My wife managed to knock this wee Spad from the display shelf and it nosedived badly. I've been putting off the repair as getting the wings on properly in the first place was an utter chore. Damage was the undercarriage, prop, multiple struts, tailplane and rigging.

49878734928_84f5f3eb95_b.jpg

Brass rod, some careful drilling, and lots of tentative unravelling of twisted rigging and struts got it back together and ready for some touchup paint. I also added some grass mat to the display case base which I think has potential on future displays.

49879574927_5cc0b84dce_b.jpg

The next quick win was to finish up a Father & Daughter build that the little one lost interest in.

All that was outstanding was the decals so we polished that off today too.

It took a little longer than normal with a 7 year old trying to tease the decals into place.

49879264736_fab98bbf1b_b.jpg

Now to the main event, a Revell SAAB Gripen in 1/72. The boxing dates from 1989 so viability of the decals is an unknown.

I picked this up second hand and already started from a IPMS stall a while back.

The work already done isn't great so it'll need a tidy up before a quick OOTB build.

Normally I build jets unarmed and in flight but this one is going to be wheels down and ready for action.

49878734763_5281a0861c_b.jpg

• Like 1

Fuselage is apart without any mishaps, shattered plastic or lacerated fingers! 🕺

I'll be able to clean up the office and repaint it in more appropriate colours.

I was worried the blast tube would be damaged but with care it came away and can be cleaned up for painting.

The silver finish is actually nicely applied but of course it's the wrong colour, so that's got to go too.

49880224036_c61870b34d_b.jpg

Does anyone have any information on the livery depicted in the boxart? I initially thought it might be an early promotional livery from SAAB but I can't find any evidence that it's anything other than a Revell fantasy.

Edit: Well what d'ya know.

Found an image on SAABs archives.

It's the first flight livery from 1988!

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

No it did have a short life span but if you do a search for Gripen prototypes, you will find pictures of the others in the same scheme, There were at least four more IIRC.

It is a small miracle that the Gripen project survived as the first serial plane also made a very public crash in the middle of Stockholm during an air show.

Edited by Orso

11 hours ago, Orso said:

No it did have a short life span but if you do a search for Gripen prototypes, you will find pictures of the others in the same scheme, There were at least four more IIRC.

All subtly different it seems.

-1 had white flashes on the tail with the blue and yellow stripes all around

-2 was all grey with the blue and yellow stripes all around

-3 and -4 had black nose cones/ radomes.

49881561643_c9f2935e18_o.jpg

11 hours ago, Orso said:

It is a small miracle that the Gripen project survived as the first serial plane also made a very public crash in the middle of Stockholm during an air show.

Flown by the same test pilot as the first crash apparently.

One thing is abundantly clear, while this early Revell moulding is certainly Gripen shaped it's not an accurate model.

What's with all the ninja turtle panel lines that simply aren't there on the real thing?

I don't think it's worth correcting but will still make for a nice model in a striking livery.

This kit was released while there was much secrecy around the Gripen so it isn't good shape wise. I've read that Revell was even given information that was slightly off by SAAB.

I have built the Revell prototype kit as well as the later Italeri kit.  I will not flood your post with pictures but add links to them.

http://baecklund.eu/bilder/Flyg/SAAB/39/39-1_02.JPG

http://baecklund.eu/bilder/Flyg/SAAB/39/39-1_04.JPG

http://baecklund.eu/bilder/Flyg/SAAB/39/39-1_05.JPG

http://baecklund.eu/bilder/Flyg/SAAB/39/39-1_06.JPG

Little bit like the famous red P-51 from Revell. You can see what it is but not correct.

The Revell kit is smaller so that is why I needed three decal sheets from it on my Italeri kit.

Part from the heavy panel lines I think that the landing gear stands out as very heavy.