Jump to content

Visiting old airbases/airfields in the UK


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Julien said:

Please dont forget that a lot of former airfields are now private property in one form or another. The one where volunteer Bentwaters is private property and unless you have buisness there, or are vitising the museum when it open then security will move you on.

 

Unfortuatly there have been a lot of problems with the soe called "urban expolorers"

 

Julien

Julien I haven’t forgotten and I won’t be visiting anywhere that is closed or on private property.

48 minutes ago, janneman36 said:

Hello Dave, seeing your route you should be visiting East Kirby and their Lancaster !
It is a very good museum with some very nice exhibitions and it is near Coningsby....certainly worth a visit!
They even have some days in the week that you can see the Lancaster active🤫

Neen there three times now and I love the athmosphere...

https://www.lincsaviation.co.uk ( closed at the moment due to the COV19)

 

cheers, Jan

Thanks mate, another great addition! Hopefully once it opens up again I’d be able to visit when the Lanc is running!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed about Elvington - divert off the A1M and take the A64 south of York. Very atmospheric, and you won't be disappointed. There's also 'Aeroventure' at Doncaster, just off the M18, which is tucked away rather inconspicuously but is a little gem (especially if you like British helicopters).

 

There is also a cluster of WW2 airfields in North Lincs which have memorials, runway/taxiways and some old buildings left: Elsham Wold, Killingholme, Waltham, Goxhill and Kirmington (now Humberside airport).

 

Jon

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

15 hours ago, Jonners said:

Agreed about Elvington - divert off the A1M and take the A64 south of York. Very atmospheric, and you won't be disappointed. There's also 'Aeroventure' at Doncaster, just off the M18, which is tucked away rather inconspicuously but is a little gem (especially if you like British helicopters).

 

There is also a cluster of WW2 airfields in North Lincs which have memorials, runway/taxiways and some old buildings left: Elsham Wold, Killingholme, Waltham, Goxhill and Kirmington (now Humberside airport).

 

Jon

Cheers Jon,

 

Aeroventure looks like a great museum, quite a few aircraft judging by their website! Will try and fit that in too. Also found the below website, quite a handy reference:

 

http://www.bcar.org.uk/index

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well best of luck with it, would be interesting if you log your journey with plenty of pics :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Toe said:

Well best of luck with it, would be interesting if you log your journey with plenty of pics :)

That was my plan, along with a map of the route and stops.

 

I've emailed and spoken with a few of the museums, like me they're hopeful of reopening later in the year but of course we all understand this is subject to restrictions being lifted, given that it is safe to do so. Health of the nation comes first.

 

I've also preliminary booked a suite at the Petwood Hotel. The lady on the phone was very helpful. No fees or charges if I need to cancel due to Covid. Doing some research into somewhere to stay in the Cambridge area that will act as a base for Duxford and the USAAF locations in the area.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

IIRC the pub in Duxford village is the Plough. Everards beers but good cask ales. If you are near to Feltwell the the Pub there, Wellington, has some great memorabilia.

Go 7 miles North up the A15 out of Scampton, turn left at the roundabout (Caenby corner) and a mile on your right is Hemswell airfield with a memorial to 170 Sqn.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

IIRC the pub in Duxford village is the Plough. Everards beers but good cask ales. If you are near to Feltwell the the Pub there, Wellington, has some great memorabilia.

Go 7 miles North up the A15 out of Scampton, turn left at the roundabout (Caenby corner) and a mile on your right is Hemswell airfield with a memorial to 170 Sqn.

Thanks mate, that does look like a lovely pub! I was looking at staying in Cambridge itself but might have to look for somewhere near to that pub!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

I assume you'll be picking up the newest version of this:

 

Wrecks and Relics

More information: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/191080939X/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_HvR2Eb3M1BGCY

 

Essential reading for the historical aviation tourist... should be out now, but I'm waiting on my pre-ordered copy...

best,

M.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Selwyn said:

One you have missed and you would go right past on your way from the ferry  is the Solway Aviation Museum  at Carlisle airport.(ex RAF Crosby-on-Eden)

 

Selwyn

Thanks Selwyn, I had looked at it but according to their website it's shut for the 2020 season. I'm hoping to to my trip at the end of September all being well.

17 hours ago, cmatthewbacon said:

I assume you'll be picking up the newest version of this:

 

Wrecks and Relics

More information: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/191080939X/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_HvR2Eb3M1BGCY

 

Essential reading for the historical aviation tourist... should be out now, but I'm waiting on my pre-ordered copy...

best,

M.

I didn't even know such a book existed but might have to make a purchase if the latest edition becomes available on Amazon

3 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

I flagged that and Dumfries back in post 25, but a second recommendation never does any harm!

Dumfries will get a visit if times etc line up!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DaveJL said:

I didn't even know such a book existed but might have to make a purchase if the latest edition becomes available on Amazon

Ah, well... in that case @DaveJL you might want to check these two out as well:

 

51X48ntT3jL._SX347_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/191080911X/

 

5148MZJL9ZL._SX348_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00SLS9NC4/

 

best,

M.

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had big plans this year to do a small anniversary tour as well (Fly a Spit @ Goodwood, Hawkinge*, Chapel-le-Ferne, see the sound mirrors, then up east via Manston to Duxford) but.... well. I'll try again for my 51st.

Hopefully you will not have to deal with 14 days quarantine.

 

The staff at Hawkinge/Kent Battle of Britain Museum have done a pretty good job (despite mishaps)  spiffing up their He-111 they got from the IWM site.

see:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, alt-92 said:

I had big plans this year to do a small anniversary tour as well (Fly a Spit @ Goodwood, Hawkinge*, Chapel-le-Ferne, see the sound mirrors, then up east via Manston to Duxford) but.... well. I'll try again for my 51st.

Hopefully you will not have to deal with 14 days quarantine.

 

The staff at Hawkinge/Kent Battle of Britain Museum have done a pretty good job (despite mishaps)  spiffing up their He-111 they got from the IWM site.

see:

 

Hopefully you’ll get your trip mate. I won’t have to do 14 day quarantine anyway as I’m popping over from Belfast, that’s if those measures are still in place come September.

1 hour ago, PLC1966 said:

If you are going to Lakenheath you need to have an hour or two at Mildenhall as well then.

Hadn’t thought of there. Would there be much air traffic to observe?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Depends. It isn't the freight hub it used to be. Tankers fly in support of the Eagles or visiting aircraft. It can be hit and miss. Keeping an eye on Fighter Control is your best bet.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Depends. It isn't the freight hub it used to be. Tankers fly in support of the Eagles or visiting aircraft. It can be hit and miss. Keeping an eye on Fighter Control is your best bet.

Fair point, but you get that far into Zombieland , Suffolk, it is worth a punt for an hour or two though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, PLC1966 said:

Fair point, but you get that far into Zombieland , Suffolk, it is worth a punt for an hour or two though.

Says the bloke from the home of the Flat Earthers. 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Says the bloke from the home of the Flat Earthers. 

LOL, a Colchester boy here, I reserve the right to rag tractor county...how I ended up in the land that time, and courtesy, forgot is something I have not figured out myself !!🤔

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, PLC1966 said:

LOL, a Colchester boy here, I reserve the right to rag tractor county...how I ended up in the land that time, and courtesy, forgot is something I have not figured out myself !!🤔

Nah, you have to be from Norfolk to rag Suffolk. Essex is only Greater London.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Nah, you have to be from Norfolk to rag Suffolk. Essex is only Greater London.

That seems to the truth more and more nowadays to be fair....

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...