F-104G Starfighter

Well here's the latest from the lockdown production line. The classic Esci F-104G. A great little kit that i picked up off a well known auction site. It brought back many happy memories of when i built several of these when i was a lad when it was first released. Lovely fine engraved panel lines that stand up even by today's standards and simple construction. Unfortunately the decals were shot so i used some from a Hasegawa kit. Everything went together easily until the final parts of the build where i almost chucked the thing in the bin. I somehow managed to fix the tailpipe in at an angle (so don't look at the photos too close!). I had paint peel off from the tip tanks that required many many repaints. The pitot tube then snapped off and went missing, so had to replace with brass rod....which also snapped off countless times.  Then while attempting to redrill out... the nosecone cracked requiring a repair job. I'm still not happy with this area but I'm afraid to even breath on it now so it will have to do. Then at the eleventh hour the nose wheel bay collapsed! Just one of those kits that didn't want to be finished!
Paints were from Vallejo and Mr Hobby, final matt varnish from Vallejo.
It's far from perfect but at least i finally have a German Hooter in my collection, hoping to join it with a Marineflieger, Dutch, Canadian, Danish and Belgian examples highlighting what a widespread aircraft this was in my youth. Long live the 104.
Thanks for looking!

IMG_20200510_132335

IMG_20200510_132451

IMG_20200510_132400

IMG_20200510_132516

IMG_20200510_132257

IMG_20200510_132421

IMG_20200510_132543

Edited by binbrook87
  • Like 36

Had you not mentioned the errors, no one would have seen them. The model is quite good and you can be proud of it.

• Thanks 1

Very nice!!!!!  You, like many others, have been very productive during the shut down.  Your Starfighter is so well done, that I need to get at one myself.  :goodjob:

Mike

• Thanks 1

One of my favorite (big list) aircraft, sporting one of my favorite (bigger list) schemes. Nice job! Also, the weathering is so subtle, I thought it was 1/48.

• Thanks 1

Lovely looking Starfighter :)camo colours always look so wrong on a fast jet like that or the lightning but also look so damn good! You've done a great job of it and the orange looks spot on too, superb build :)

• Thanks 1