MiG-21 F-13 Red Eagles YF-110B

After building my 1/48 MiG-23MS from the USAF's secret MiG squadron I jumped on the chance for an 'quick' build with a Trumpeter 1/48 MiG-21 F-13 I had in the stash.

I added some Eduard etch in the cockpit and a Pavla seat, paints were Model Master mixes and the decals were drawn from several aggressor sheets.

GKQRl3W.jpgDTi95Mm.jpgJCzbfET.jpgH4BvCzX.jpgHIMdnoB.jpgvR3L62k.jpgZB0wPaW.jpg4UKyIte.jpgUynoMAd.jpghmnynBO.jpgrFkzQpC.jpg

zfrT10H.jpg

My MiG-23MS build has a little more info about the Constant Peg MiG story.

• Like 29

Nice job--captured it beautifully.  I may have sat in the cockpit of very this one at Nellis 25 years ago, when it was on display for a bit (and may still be there).  All the MiGs have a funny cockpit smell that is hard to describe.  Not sweat, vomit, and cigar smoke, but some chemical residue.  The radium used on the cockpit dials supposedly is considered a radiation hazard and limits time spent in the driver's seat.

• Like 1

Yeah, like's already been said.....'that's a quick build?!?'........wow ! They're both great, well done.

And as for the back story; I've never heard of this before and so I've managed to get hold of a copy of the book for a squiz.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers

Gaz

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

All the MiGs have a funny cockpit smell that is hard to describe.

Cool, sounds like you were at the Petting Zoo. Yes, I'm pretty sure there's comment on the MiG smell in the books. I've gotten ahold of the revised/updated edition of the Steve Davies book and will keep an eye out for it.

One thing I do whenever I have the Eduard pre painted is to 'paint the pre painted' with the cockpit color I am using.  It gets rid of that gritty grainy texture that the Eduard pre painted has and makes the match to the rest of the cockpit seamless.  Just thin down the paint and cover the larger areas and get as close as you can to the 'details', it's easy to correct if you cover a detail.

964wudR.jpgWBcGuP8.jpg?1

• Like 1