RAF Hercules C1 - 1/144 Minicraft

RAF Hercules C1

1/144 Minicraft

herk1.jpg

It was partly memories of the old Airfix kit that inspired me to build this one.  You know, the one with the 'crud and custard' colours. with a Land Rover towing a bloodhound missile towards the loading ramp. I remember receiving this kit on Christmas, when it first came out.

box.jpg

This is the Minicraft kit, recently re-released by S&M Models at a very reasonable price.  Apparently it has some faults, I'm happy with it, it looks like a Herk and I have finished it in the colours of XV196, the one on the Airfix box art. I even found a little Land Rover!

herk2.jpg

herk3.jpg

herk4.jpg

herk6.jpg

herk7.jpg

My usual 'with something else' shot 😀

herk8.jpg

herk5.jpg

T'aint that big!

herk9.jpg

Thanks for looking

John

• Like 42
  • Thanks 4

Fantastic job, John. Evocative memories of my dad bringing the Airfix kit home in the early 70’s, and although he started building it, I think he gave up after I insisted that he painted the loading ramp black with white stripes down the centre. (To be fair, I was only about 6 or 7). 😁

I did manage to get another kit on a trip to the UK in the mid 70’s but domestic bliss was shattered following heated discussions about fitting the box in the luggage. Needless to say that the box was made a sacrificial lamb and the plastic bits were buried between layers of clothing. Unfortunately, when it came time to put all of the pieces together a few years later, I discovered that the cockpit canopy had stayed behind in the U.K. with the box. 😩

Hi John,

That's a little cutie! I too remember the Airfix 1/72 kit with that box art, very evocative.

Any inaccuracies aren't obvious it certainly looks the part though.

Love the 'with something else's shots! I've got a couple of those buses, BOAC and BEA, I must build something of that period to go with them.

Cheers,

Ian

Hello, John -

Great to see you back, mate - excellent work as ever and a little bit different to what you normally do as well.  One from your stash?

Regards

Dave