Revell SU-27 Sea Flanker (Edited with bigger pictures)

Hi Folks, this is my first completed Lockdown Build. Nothing remarkable about it, built straight out of the box. painted with Velejo and Tamiya acrylics and thereby hangs a tail. has anybody else noticed that many of the online model and modelling suppliers have hiked up their prices, nearly doubling them in some cases on the basis that they want to discourage people ordering and overwhelming them.

I live in Stafford and I want to do a shout out for 'Salter Street Toys and Models', they have had to close to comply with Government instructions but on a Wednesday a sales assistant goes in for a few hours, takes orders and then delivers them at a minimal cost, not only that everything they are sending out is discounted by 15%. Well done them, i know where I will be going in the future for my modelling supplies!

Anyway rant over, here's my Flanker, not sure I got the colours quite right and I have used a little bit of artistic licence. As usual all comments and criticisms welcome.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking, stay safe.

Edited by Telboy3510
Resizing photos
  • Like 30

Nice model. In the future, can I ask for larger pictures so that your work can be better appreciated?

• Thanks 1

Colours look good, which ones did you use?

1 hour ago, Telboy3510 said:

has anybody else noticed that many of the online model and modelling suppliers have hiked up their prices, nearly doubling them in some cases on the basis that they want to discourage people ordering and overwhelming them.

I don't think that's on the stores per se. Lots of problems getting paint supplies in, and the transport situation is sufficiently out of whack that that leads to price increases (Tamiya thinner & paints need to come from somewhere).

Good on your local store though. There's some here that do that as well, trading volume for margin.

46 minutes ago, SAT69 said:

Nice model. In the future, can I ask for larger pictures so that your work can be better appreciated?

Yes, I don't know what's happened there, I've just started using Flicker and still finding my way round, I'll see if I can sort it out at some time. Thanks for the nice comment.

13 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

Colours look good, which ones did you use?

I don't think that's on the stores per se. Lots of problems getting paint supplies in, and the transport situation is sufficiently out of whack that that leads to price increases (Tamiya thinner & paints need to come from somewhere).

Good on your local store though. There's some here that do that as well, trading volume for margin.

The underside and lighter camouflage colour is Valejo U.S Light Grey, the mid grey is Tamiya XF19 and the darker camouflage is a mixture of Tamiya XF18 ad XF19.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the bigger pictures. I really like the model; it's well done. Nice way to display it too. Did you make the stand?

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Lewis95 said:

Would love to know how vyou did the base. Fantastic model and looks great in that pose. 

Thanks, the base is just MDF, coated with a water based coloured varnish. I prefer to show my models flying so I have a cheap palm router and some cheap bits. They are supported on 2mm brass rod, which is also cheap off Ebay.😊

Edited by Telboy3510

32 minutes ago, IGKent said:

Your board number..... SU-27_1.jpg

Yes, I did say I doubted the colours were correct as a result of not being able to get the paint I wanted off the internet. This is my first Russian jet and certainly won't be the last. I intend building another Flanker hopefully in the right colours. 😊

53 minutes ago, Telboy3510 said:

Thanks, the base is just MDF, coated with a water based coloured varnish. I prefer to show my models flying so I have a cheap palm router and some cheap bits. They are supported on 2mm brass rod, which is also cheap off Ebay.😊

Do you find they spin at all on the rod or are they CA'd in place? I've been using repurposed cost hangers up the tail pipe for mounting but I'll be stuffed on my next few builds for that idea.

Yes, I did say I doubted the colours were correct as a result of not being able to get the paint I wanted off the internet. This is my first Russian jet and certainly won't be the last. I intend building another Flanker hopefully in the right colours. 😊

OK, The right colours may find in paints AKAN..... http://shop.akan.ru/

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for the nice comments, as I have said to IGKent this was my first Russian jet, up until now I have always liked Harriers and Tomcats, but I really do like these jets.

If you have any questions, please contact with me....😀

• Thanks 1

And yet, pay attention to the radio-transparent elements on the keels of the aircraft. They are not white, and slightly lighter than the main color. The are white colour only nose cone and element behind two antennas.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Lewis95 said:

Do you find they spin at all on the rod or are they CA'd in place? I've been using repurposed cost hangers up the tail pipe for mounting but I'll be stuffed on my next few builds for that idea.

Initially I would set a piece of 3mms tube with a 2mm internal diameter into the model, but the internal diameters of tube was hit and miss. For the lighter models putting the rod with a slight bend into the model allows you to vary the position. For heavier models such as the Flanker I have had to use CA.