Hawker Tempest Mk V, 56 Sqn, 1945. ***FINISHED 30/05/2020***

DaveyGair

Here's my entry into this GB. Smer's 'Hi-Tech' Hawker Tempest which I believe is the old Heller/Airfix mould? 

Nothing Hi-Tech about it though, just etch for the radiator and instrument panel. Could had at least seat belts as well! Anyway, it's going to be OOB with no scratch-building or scribing of surfaces, just a gentle rub down of the raised areas. 

Since I bought an Xtradecal sheet to do a Butterworth Tempest II I'm going to go with a 56 Sqn subject, SN254/US*T, CO, Sqn leader M.P. Kilburn, Fassberg, late 1945.

Details of the Squadron are here http://www.historyofwar.org/air/units/RAF/56_wwII.html

DSC_0001 DSC_0003 DSC_0002

• Like 8

Welcome to the GB Davey with what is my favourite aircraft of WW.II, the Tempest was a huge brute of an aircraft (almost the same weight as a P-47), and as much a match for just about anything the Luftwaffe had at medium to low level.

I hoped we see something from the RAF in the immediate post-war schemes with more colourful squadron markings.

You're right, the SMER kit is the Heller kit which was also released by Airfix (any of those boxings would be eligible for the Classic Heller GB later in the year), this was released when manufacturers were just coming to terms with new-fangled technologies like etched brass and/or white metal parts, must have been the late eighties/early nineties?

Good luck with this one, I'm convinced she'll scrub up well!

• Like 1

Got a start on this. As mentioned previously this is gonna be OOB without any enhancements, which I'm enjoying doing at the moment re: my 70's Airfix Spifire Mk I build.   

Just added seatbelts for the cockpit since this is generally the thing that stands out when peering through the canopy. I didn't bother with the etch and film instrument panel, you can't see the thing anyway because the opening is that small.

Got the airframe together which went surprisingly well, just one main wing join at the root to add a bit of filler and some underneath front and rear. The tail-planes look as if they won't need much filler either. They're are a bit thick so may thin the trailing edge a little, it's a pity because the main wing trailing edge is beautifully thin!

Looks like a Tempest already.

Davey.

DSC_0006 DSC_0007 DSC_0008 DSC_0009 DSC_0010

• Like 10

16 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Good start Davey,built a few of these over the years it is a Heller original that still builds well.

Cheers Steve. On hold at the moment as I've decided to squeeze in another 'In the Navy' GB subject, I also started another Spitfire!

Stay safe and keep 'em coming.

Davey.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

With the Swordfish and the Spitfire IXc tuckes away in their respective galleries time to get on with this. 

I gave it a blast of grey undercoat which didn't reveal anything worth troubling over so got some paint on. In my enthusiasm I forgot to take photo's of the progress so here's where we're at.

The colours were airbrushed using Vallejo ModelAir paints. Medium Sea Grey undersides, top was Dark Green over Ocean Grey, for which I used USAF Medium Gunship Grey. At first I thought this may look too dark but as I surmised (pure luck really!) under a coat or two of Matt varnish the colour toned down a fair bit. I think it looks OK anyway. All the decals were applied using 'Klear'.

For the large serial codes under the wings I 'Blu-tacked' the gear doors in place then applied the decals, cutting through them after they dried.

Next stop, all the fiddly bits then the Gallery!

Davey.

DSC_0003 DSC_0004 DSC_0005

• Like 7

That is look great Davey, I've plans to use an Airfix boxing of this kit in Rosie Mackies markings SN228 EDM, hope to get underway next week or soon after. I Like your colours & the finish, really nice.

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here she is all finished. Not at all sure how the kit is on accuracy but it looks every inch a Tempest and that's good enough for me!

Having lost the moulded on and top oversized aerial I used a bit of 11 thou guitar string, the only addition to the kit apart from Tamiya tape seat-belts.

A very stress free build, I must do the Smer P-40k/Kittyhawk Mk.III I have soon, 450 RAAF Sqn in Tunisia 1943. The MTO GB maybe....

Davey.

DSC_0002 DSC_0003 DSC_0008

• Like 8

• DaveyGair changed the title to Hawker Tempest Mk V, 56 Sqn, 1945. ***FINISHED 30/05/2020***

Looks like a fine Tempest to me Davey, well done sir!

Don't forget to put it in the gallery at the end of the GB.

Thanks for taking part.

• Thanks 1