Qatar AH-64E Apache

Slater

As Mr Rating states, It's the Doppler Fairing, also home to the two RAD Alt Antenna.  Looks to me to be the same as the D Model/ AH Mk1  fit, paint job and photo angle making it appear a bit more prominent. 

AH Mk1 Apache

48 minutes ago, Troffa said:

As Mr Rating states, It's the Doppler Fairing, also home to the two RAD Alt Antenna.  Looks to me to be the same as the D Model/ AH Mk1  fit, paint job and photo angle making it appear a bit more prominent. 

AH Mk1 Apache

Ooh team works lol cheers Troffa...forgot about the rad alt ...hows the DB btw? Exactly nowhere id imagine ...still🤔

• Like 1

2 hours ago, exdraken said:

Interestingly these new build Apaches do not have the upward facing new exhausts. Anyone knows why?

Just some assumptions here:

It's too 'secret' and not an option for export;

It's too expensive an option for customers and not cost-effective (this includes special coatings required for rotor blades, etc.);

The US is prioritising modifying their own aircraft before releasing for export;

It results in a power loss factor that's not liked by customers (I don't know if there are any major engine differences between customers); or

All of the above...?

Taken from the Airworthiness Release Study Guide (https://studylib.net/doc/9456439/2006d-a19-r5-2012-07-01---air-pirates

1. "The ASPI kit significantly increases torque required at high speeds, especially at high gross weights and high density altitudes. This increase in torque required will result in diminished torque margins for performing maneuvers, including turns. Attempting to perform maneuvers without adequate torque margins will result in loss of airspeed, altitude, or both."

2. The ASPI kit has not been tested for dive recovery data. There may be a loss in capability to perform dive recovery.

3. Autorotation correction testing for One Engine Inoperable (OEI) has not been performed. Autorotation checks in this mode may result in loss of capability.

This Airworthiness stuff is dated 2011/2012, so I can't say if it's still current - maybe it's easier for export customers to learn to fly the standard configuration and then upgrade with ASPI over time, once the US has a larger training base (again, speculation).

Presumably, someone with better Apache technical knowledge can help.

If you're making one in 1/72, I can thoroughly recommend the Armycast resin set: https://www.armycast.cz/gb/172-resin-sets/118-ah-64d-aspi-upgrade-exhaust.html.

Also, a good technical overview can be found here: https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a617060.pdf.

Edited by Blimpyboy
  • Thanks 2

Thanks s lot @Blimpyboy !

I build mostly 1/48... I think Hasegawa offers options here!

Wonder if Britain and the Netherlands will get it... also wonder if the more powerful RR engines would have been the better choice again ... they wete obviously powerful enough to operate with the Longbow radar in hot and high conditions...

Was Agusta Westland/ Leonardo no option to rebuild the WAH-64???

Edited by exdraken

They are bog-standard export AH-64Es with no major external differences from those supplied to Taiwan, India, Indonesia etc.  

Apart from the ASPI exhaust kit and a few minor details (antennae/ECM gear etc.), they are externally not very different from US helicopters and can be built straight out of the box using the Hasegawa AH-64E kit in 1/48.

qatar_apache.jpg

Edited by CaracalModels
  • Like 3

What makes an E actually an E?

Obviously not the exhaust type...

Wasn't it originally just a new Block number of the D model?

Edited by exdraken

1 hour ago, exdraken said:

What makes an E actually an E?

Obviously not the exhaust type...

Wasn't it originally just a new Block number of the D model?

Ooh avionics for a start the D model uses the equivalent of a 486 computer so fairly old ...Engine upgrade and who knows what the grubbers have been up to? 🤔 gotta love an Apache ....but notvas much as a king😃

• Like 1

On 5/25/2020 at 10:53 PM, junglierating said:

Ooh avionics for a start the D model uses the equivalent of a 486 computer so fairly old ...Engine upgrade and who knows what the grubbers have been up to? 🤔 gotta love an Apache ....but notvas much as a king😃

Ex draken Hope that didnt sound to rude it wasnt meant to be ....i note you liked it so.....er anyway as i said apologises 😃

• Like 1

On 5/27/2020 at 5:10 AM, junglierating said:

Ex draken Hope that didnt sound to rude it wasnt meant to be ....i note you liked it so.....er anyway as i said apologises 😃

Hi, no issues here! Not at all!

:D

probably I was refering to modelling related differences without stating that clearly!

but believe me, Sea King wise I am off a lot worse..... ;)

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 1