P-47N, Ie Shima summer 1945

Creepy Pete

For this Group Build I will be building the Revell/Monogram 1/48 P-47N kit. Not a bad kit, although when it was released in 1997 it didn't get the best reviews. I've built it before, way back when it came out from RoG, and with my limited skills back then in the late 90's, I didn't have much trouble with it. In fact, I still have it sitting on the shelf and collecting dust.

The decals aren't great though, so I've ordered some Kits-World decals for it. The set comes with two options, and I'm leaning towards P-47N "Chautauqua", of the 463FS, 507FG.

GlwNhXL.jpg

The 507th FG arrived at Ie Shima (today known as Iejima, just west of Okinawa) in June 1945, and flew ground attack missions and a B-29 support mission all over southern Japan and Korea. As you can see, Ie Shima looked like a rather desolate place in those days.

9i0uI9x.jpg

Anyway, I've just painted the cockpit bits in Gunze's FS34092, which is supposed to be a decent match for the Dull Dark Green as used by Republic on the real thing. Tomorrow I will paint the details, seat, instrument panel etc.

• Like 4

Nice one Pete, I have a soft spot for the N of all of the P-47s, I just wish there was a decent mainstream 1/72nd kit of the N.

I had the RoG and Academy kits at the same time, some details were better on the RoG kit and others were better on the Academy kit is very much six and two three's, a good kit can be built from both.

Thing to note on "Chautauqua" is that it's a P-47N-1 or -2, no rocket stubs on these early versions, the photo you posted clearly shows that.

Welcome to the GB and good luck.

• Like 2

Nice work Pete

I remember building this kit not long after it first came out. I don’t have the kit anymore but remember it builds up into quite an impressive model. 

James

Thanks James.

Compared to some of the kits that were released in the late 90's by other companies, this one is quite rough. Still, I'm having fun with this one, odd design choices and all. The cockpit is all done, with Captain Joe fully suited up, despite being based on a subtropical island in the middle of summer. You then have to glue the whole thing in place with the fuselage already closed up. Also note the antenna already in place on the spine, which is molded with the base you need need to insert in a fuselage half. The wheel bays are made up of three parts, with the gear leg and door already molded in place. Surely this can't go wrong, right? :christmas:

iL0fErb.jpg

M2CZOXJ.jpg

I've also ordered the decals I planned to use, and even before they get here, I've already found an error on the option I planned to use. More on that when they arrive.

• Like 6

On 14/05/2020 at 21:27, Creepy Pete said:

Compared to some of the kits that were released in the late 90's by other companies, this one is quite rough.

Certainly that was one of the criticisms of the Revell kit compared to the Academy but then IIRC, the Revell is better detailed in some areas compared to its rival.

On 14/05/2020 at 21:27, Creepy Pete said:

I've also ordered the decals I planned to use, and even before they get here, I've already found an error on the option I planned to use. More on that when they arrive.

I've got the Three Guys Replica sheet for Le Shima based P-47N's with some great nose art, "Chautauqua", they were very well received on release and one day, I'll get around to using them.

On 5/16/2020 at 8:58 AM, Wez said:

I've got the Three Guys Replica sheet for Le Shima based P-47N's with some great nose art, "Chautauqua", they were very well received on release and one day, I'll get around to using them.

I got the Kits-World decals today, and the issue that I found is that they forgot the number that goes under the cowling. You can just make it out on the photo that I posted in the first post. That same photo is even used by them on their website. You can see it slightly better on the pic below, along with some new stripe.

Qm2yX0m.jpg

I might use the other option of the Kits-World sheet now, "Red E Ruth" from the 19FS, 318FG, also at Ie Shima at the same time. It has some nice blue colors on it:

6jb1f0n.jpg

Anyway, before I get to that stage, I still have some stuff to do. The wings have been glued on, along with the engine. So far, so good.

IGRRz3O.jpg

• Like 3

Made some good progress this weekend. Most of the painting is done now. I have to mask and paint the cowling and tail bits next. It will be done with the blue colours of the one I posted above, not the one with yellow that I originally was going to do.

iVlxMW9.jpg

Started putting on the decals. Markings from Kits World, some stencils from the kit sheet. I tried using one of the larger decals from the kit, but it just shattered. Microscale's Liquid Decal Film to the rescue!

rffGk7O.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...