‘75’ formation

Jonny

Folks,

The good people in my road created a WhatsApp group when this Corona virus thing started.  

People needing help, or shopping, or prescriptions collected can post their needs and nine times out of ten someone will offer to do tge necessary.

Recently the VE Day celebrations have come to the fore.  One of my neighbours posted a movie clip of a very good formation representing ‘75’.  It’s a mixed formation and having looked several times I think the ‘7’ was formed by F.14s.  Not sure about the ‘5’.  If there were F14s I guess it’s the USAFE who arranged it.

Does anyone know Definitely who provided the formation, and where it flew?  The neighbour who posted the clip says he was sent it by a friend and it might have been over London.

Just curious,

Jonny

Everywhere ive seen this brought up the true identity of the flypast is for the Russian Victory parade tomorrow. Believe the jets are frogfoots and flankers. Theres another video of the formation about and you get a better view of the jets and they do look like russian jets 

1 hour ago, Jonny said:

looked several times I think the ‘7’ was formed by F.14s

The F-14 was retired several years ago.

Mark.

Agreed Russian.  People saying Su-25 and Su-30.

but then again, a lot of people thought they were the Red Arrows (despite them not being red colour, and there being far too many of them- and two different plane types)

@Jonny  The F-14 is a Tomcat, and flew by the US Navy not the USAF.  Beside, as @Harry Lime pointed out, they were retired.

Maybe you meant the F-15 Eagle? After all, both the F-14 and the F-15 have twin tails.

By the way, it was mentioned on the news, that the Russians were planning on doing a 75 plane formation flypast. So it would be the Russians, not the Americans, therefore it would have to be MiG-29 and/or Su-30, as they both also are twin tailed, and have (more or less) similar shapes as the F-14.

• Like 1

Thanks, everyone (he said with his head hanging low in shame).

the vid. was sent via WhatsApp and I viewed it on my phone.  A small screen, you’ll understand!
I have to say that was a very good formation, wasn’t it?

Jonny

• Haha 1

Never mind, Jonny. It could be worse.

At an airshow a few years back I was photographing a 48th Fighter Wing Eagle in the static and heard a Member Of The Public approach the pilot, who was leaning on the crowd barrier in the way that aircrew do at airshows, nonchalantly checking out the women walking past, and ask him how difficult it was to land it on an aircraft carrier.

"We're Air Force, sir," replied the square-jawed sky god in his southern US drawl, dead pan. "We leave that to the dumb-a55 Navy."

Edited by Truro Model Builder
  • Haha 4