1/32 Buccaneer S.2 - 801 NAS, HMS Victorious 1966

Welcome to my world, which for me at least, normally occurs minutes, if not seconds after a brand new blade goes on!

Last time, I managed to place a brand new scalpel blade in the tip of my thumb, down to the bone and managed to get to the kitchen sink, before it fell out. Its strange how long it takes for the pain to register, still a bit of swearing, some (lots) thin super glue, a plaster or two and back to the bench!

Mind you, modelling with your thumb stuck up, isn't that easy but probably easier than trying with your palm cut, happy mending!

• Like 2

On 14/05/2020 at 19:11, Alan P said:

As I finished off the port side I had a bit of a mishap.

tn_IMG_20200514_184538

Oopsie! :owww: Reminds me of my surgery back in Nov'19, but I can confirm that small quantities of alcohol can assist with the recovery, just as easily as it can cause more injuries.  Take it sparingly, and try to keep your hand active (within reason), as it'll help with recovery.  My last modelling injury was dealing with resin, but it was just a blade in the nailbed, so while gory, it wasn't too bad.  I think you won :yes:

Get well soon ;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks again, my clumsiness and inexperience with all-resin kits is showing!

tn_IMG_20200519_130453

Amazing the difference a lick of paint can do...

tn_IMG_20200519_130523

There are a lot of pinholes but not particularly visible once the paint goes on.

tn_IMG_20200519_130518

I really like the look of these seats, looking forward to getting the paint on.

Alan

• Like 9

17 hours ago, Alan P said:

Amazing the difference a lick of paint can do...

There are a lot of pinholes but not particularly visible once the paint goes on.

I really like the look of these seats, looking forward to getting the paint on.

Alan

Apologies for how the bathtub came out, I had to rush it through development, as the original kit did not come with a full internal tub. In an ideal situation, the tub and seats would have come out a lot better but you know how modellers are, always impatient and want their kits now. Go easy on the hand, there are no spare one's going free!

Alan

• Haha 4

On 5/20/2020 at 3:17 PM, Icelandic Fine Art said:

You know how modellers are, always impatient and want their kits now.

I know Alan, it's amazing how quickly modellers want to get their loft insulation padded even though they won't touch it for years to come...:coolio: No apology necessary!

Finished off the new intakes:

tn_IMG_20200521_110716

As you can see, the left side needs a bit of work still!

tn_IMG_20200521_110722

The right side fits nicely but needs the slight step smoothing off:

tn_IMG_20200521_110745

tn_IMG_20200521_110801

The engine faces are a vast improvement over the original kit, many thanks to Alan @Icelandic Fine Art for supplying these replacements.

tn_IMG_20200521_110825

This one's slightly misshapen as i had to squash it to make it fit better. I'm happy if you are. (If you aren't, bad luck!) Also, you can see the filled area in front of each intake where I shaved off the raised bump - the original S.2s didn't seem to have them.

tn_IMG_20200521_110909

Just a quick shot of the materials I'm using to stick this beast together - the 60-second Loctite glue is invaluable because you need a bit of wiggle time when fitting these large pieces together. The Everbuild CA is shockingly powerful stuff, I've got a decent stock of debonder to hand and always wear gloves when using. It comes out quite viscous but flows very readily into gaps and channels, if you're using it just beware!

Haven't taken photos of the cockpit yet, just received some excellent instrument decals and placards from @airscale so hopefully this will be a really busy-looking office 👍 

Thanks for looking in,

Alan

• Like 10

Sorry to hear about your hand, but glad it is up and running again.

You have my sympathy as I had a similar problem a few years back, though in my case the culprit was the broken bottom of a milk bottle which I landed on when I fell up my steps. having slipped on ice. Looked horrendous at the time and the stitching in A&E was not fun, but it healed pretty quickly.

The build is coming along well - it should look very impressive.

Pete

• Thanks 1

Great progress, Alan. As you can see, I had to hastily make a new set of air intakes after much feedback from modellers, so its a good thing that you have highlighted said problems. The irregular shape of the intakes, is due to releasing them from the moulds, which can cause some distortion. The raised bump on the air intakes, I was not too certain of, something to look into. 

Alan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Update...this build is still alive, just been up to my ears with work since going back on May 25th. Trying to do my licence revalidation, new EASA phase training, new type rating and flight examiner's standardisation course all in a month does not make for modelling time! 😩 Will be back to it in mid-July, hopefully 👍

• Like 5

Looking forward to it. My build not so much stalled but not made it to the runway yet while my time is mostly diverted to work and new house build. In the latter the paperwork is endless

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Looking forward to it. My build not so much stalled but not made it to the runway yet while my time is mostly diverted to work and new house build. In the latter the paperwork is endless

Life. It always gets in the way 😂

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately I don't have a hope of finishing this in time for the GB deadline but I'll do my best! Two weeks ago I managed to drill a 0.3mm bit into my finger which snapped off inside 😱 anyway two operations later I haven't been able to do anything except painting so the Bucc has stared at me from the shelf 😭 Hoping to get some done next week but chances are this will end up in WIP on the main boards. 

• Sad 4

6 hours ago, Back in the Saddle said:

Two injuries in one build - ouch! Hope you recover quickly 👍

Can't say I haven't bled for this one 😂

7 hours ago, Col. said:

Ouch! As reasons for not finishing a kit go you've certainly picked an extreme one Alan :o 

The dog ate my instructions would have been simpler, I suppose 😁

Thanks gents 👍

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Alan P said:

Unfortunately I don't have a hope of finishing this in time for the GB deadline but I'll do my best! Two weeks ago I managed to drill a 0.3mm bit into my finger which snapped off inside 😱  

It will be another five minutes before my toes uncurl again. That’s an ouch if there was one. My “I’m trying to get a house built“ pales in comparison. Was there much fudging said?:wicked: Hope it heals up soon. Get better soon - that’s an instruction not a well wish. I need to see how this Bucc gets done right :D

• Haha 1

Ouch! I do know how you are feeling as I have had someone drill into one of my finger nails whist holding a piece of metal. He was drilling from the other side of the airframe so could not see me. I hope that all is well soon, it took me a few weeks to get the injury to start healing, but I was back work the day after the incident, although rather gingerly.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Alan P said:

Can't say I haven't bled for this one 😂

With apologies to Mr.Harrison, a case of While My Buccaneer Gently Bleeds? Shame this one won't be in the final GB gallery, but look forward to seeing it completed eventually.

Mark.

Edited by Harry Lime
speelin
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Really sorry that I promised much but failed to deliver for the GB...I'd really appreciate if somebody could move this to Work in Progress and I'll pick it up when life has reached some sort of compromise with my free time!

Alan P

• 3 months later...
On 07/08/2020 at 20:13, Alan P said:

Really sorry that I promised much but failed to deliver for the GB...I'd really appreciate if somebody could move this to Work in Progress and I'll pick it up when life has reached some sort of compromise with my free time!

Alan P

As you've requested, Alan, this one is now in the KUTA GB forum.  :thumbsup: 

• Thanks 1

There seems to be a fascinating spread of 1:32 in the land of KUTA this year, what with this total beast, a mid-range but very beautiful Tamiya Mustang and my complete and utter mongrel of a Matchbox Spitfire. It's amazing to see the different styles from a range of manufacturers and time-zones (in the case of my Matchbox entry that'll be the land that time forgot).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nice ti see another Buc being built , I finished mine earlier this year , I passed on the revised intakes, and just went for FOD guards , as you can see I built it as an RAF S2B, I don't want to hijack this excellent build.. but perhaps a little encouragement might help you make progress 

spacer.png

If you need any encouragement , or a shoulder to cry on, drop me a line 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, colin ritchie said:

spacer.png

If you need any encouragement , or a shoulder to cry on, drop me a line 

That's a really fine build Colin! 

I balked at the range of changes to bring it up to RAF vintage but that's an excellent job! 

I will get back to it soon, I have a couple of others to finish first but now I know you're here, I'll be picking your brains/expertise when the time comes... 

Alan 

• Like 2