1/32 Buccaneer S.2 - 801 NAS, HMS Victorious 1966

Hi all,

First of all, many thanks to @Col. for letting me join in, and I hope this build will be a treat for all of us!

tn_IMG_20200508_173247

Meet the Icelandic Fine Art resin Bucc in 1/32. Fuselage is cast from resin/aluminium matrix while the rest of the kit is polyurethane resin. It's a very limited run kit (I believe @Icelandic Fine Art only released 35 complete kits as it's basically one solitary genius [also called Alan!] who's toiled on this for 20 years!) so I'm very glad to have got one and this might be among  the first ones built if I can maintain my concentration for the whole thing!

This a vast kit in this scale. I wasn't prepared for how big this aircraft is, having never built one before:

tn_IMG_20200508_173815

That's a 1/72 Mustang next to it, and it's sitting on an 18" x 12" cutting mat! Certainly the chunkiest, heaviest kit I've ever considered building - it should clock in at almost 3kg when finished...

This is very much a cottage industry product, but prepared over 20 years of research and effort.

tn_IMG_20200508_174545

A mix of beige and white resin shows the various parts - the tailcone halves are more accurate replacements for the fuselage moulded ones. The airbrakes will be mounted closed as there's no provision to open them in the kit as it is. You can also see the wheelwells which fit into recesses in the fuselage, and a replacement recess for the arrestor hook. Both the replacement parts will require the relevant areas to be cut from the existing moulded parts. At top left is the bulged bomb bay for building an RAF version.

tn_IMG_20200508_175100

There are resin gear legs which are quite substantial, but I do wonder if they'll be enough to support the huge weight of this kit long-term. Also included are the slipper tanks, buddy refuelling pod and whatever that is second from the top on the right side. Anyone know what it is? 🤔

Alan (@Icelandic Fine Art here on BM) has done a really good job with the cockpit:

tn_IMG_20200508_175419

It needs tidying up but the detail is very good, including sidewalls and instrument panels.

tn_IMG_20200508_175714

Also includes resin cast canopies - the obs/nav's windshield needs to be scratchbuilt.

The instructions are copious A4 photocopied sheets in the style of 'modeller's notes':

tn_IMG_20200508_180306

Some nice internal drawings and scale diagrams:

tn_IMG_20200508_180347

There's even a limited clear decal sheet included - white backed ones will need white decal backgrounds to be applied first.

tn_IMG_20200508_180451

Fortunately @Phartycr0c on Britmodeller has been able to organise some 1/32 decal sets with KitsWorld, so I've ordered some of them already. I intend to build the kit as it was designeda vanilla Royal Navy S.2 in EDSG over white with a buddy refuelling pod and slipper tank. I'll see how I get on, if it's going well I might scratchbuild and add some outer pylons/practice bomb units as well. 

Anyway - this is here as a placeholder/hors d'oeuvre until I get cracking on it early next week. Until then, hope you like what you've seen so far, I certainly have!

All the best,

Alan

• Like 19

OMG! that's mahoosive!! Surely this is going to need some extra internal support? What material are the U/C legs made of? will they stand-up to the weight in the long term? Looks brilliant.......edit: sorry just read your comments about the U/C legs

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, MarkSH said:

OMG! that's mahoosive!! Surely this is going to need some extra internal support? 

It's literally a solid block of aluminium-impregnated resin. It's going to stay together 😂

15 minutes ago, Col. said:

This is going to be quite a model in every sense of the phrase!

Cheers Col, hope so!  

Alan 

• Like 2

This looks like it’s going to be a fascinating project to follow - really looking forward to seeing this come together. 

When I’ve seen Alan’s models at various shows the quality looks pretty good considering he’s a one-man-band, and he certainly captures the shapes beautifully - a talented chap. 

I’ll look forward to future updates. 

Tom

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Alan P said:

There are resin gear legs which are quite substantial, but I do wonder if they'll be enough to support the huge weight of this kit long-term. Also included are the slipper tanks, buddy refuelling pod and whatever that is second from the top on the right side. Anyone know what it is? 🤔

Hi Alan, good luck with the build - it looks monstrous!

The part looks like a Palouste air starter to me?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jinxman said:

Hi Alan, good luck with the build - it looks monstrous!

The part looks like a Palouste air starter to me?

Well, thank you very much! Mystery solved. 

2 minutes ago, Harry Lime said:

Sure is, see this thread for all the info you never knew you needed to know about them!

Mark.

Thanks very much for that excellent info Mark. 

Another possibility for display 😏

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Extra page to the instructions which you might not have.

Cheers Frank, I've definitely got that one 👍

Hi Alan,

That looks like a real challenge. Do I understand correctly that besides cutting out holes for the wheel wells you will also have to excavate a hole for the cockpit? As to the undercarriage legs, some of the 1/76 tanks I have bought from Millicast which have long gun barrels, incorporate a metal rod into the casting of the barrel - would perhaps have been a good idea with your legs as it would make them much stronger. Any chance of drilling them and putting a rod in or would the shape make it impracticable?

I will watch this with great interest - good luck!

Pete

• Like 1

Alan Wilson has gone through the subject of the resin legs extensively. They are perfectly adequate for the job. His own formulation of the resin will cope with the weight. I have built his Gannet, and that is weighty when complete, and the resin legs hold it comfortably.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Omygiddyaunt!

Aluminium and resin? That’s A BEAST!

Looks a quality package and I will sit quietly at the back, just gawping.

Trevor the awed

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PeterB said:

That looks like a real challenge. Do I understand correctly that besides cutting out holes for the wheel wells you will also have to excavate a hole for the cockpit? 

The wheelwell recesses are already there, they just need to be cleaned up for the wheelwell detail parts. Likewise the cockpit recess is already preformed, there's just scurf to remove and clean up around the sides. 

The only bits you need to cut are the bomb bay for the bulged RAF part, the airbrakes and the arrestor hook recess, but all of those are optional. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Phartycr0c said:

I iwll most certainly be watching this... What between you and Scotsman, we certainly will have some inspiration to follow. 

52 minutes ago, Tony C said:

I look forward to following this build, its bound to be educational :clap:

That, or it'll be the painful hill on which my modelling reputation dies...😂

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Alan P said:

the painful hill on which my modelling reputation dies.

Doubt it alan , a show stopper this ,...you've started somthing now  🤗

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Justin M said:

Have you written a Risk Assessment for this one yet? 

The only real risk is my good standing in the Britmodeller community...