Eduard 1/48th Bell X-1

Another one done for the year and, without doubt, the brightest one yet. It's an odd one this because it's got wings so in theory it's a plane but then it's also a rocket, so should it have been posted elsewhere. It's here now though, decision made - it's a plane 😁

A nice simple kit with not that many parts to mess up. It was the Profipack edition though, so came with some extra resin and etch. I also added the other Eduard etch set to it for some more little details, none of which can be seen now though.

The hardest part on this build was deciding what orange to use because it really is a difficult one to track down. I used the book Chuck Yeager and the Bell X-1 as a guide but even this doesn't have two coloured pictures that are the same colour.

In the end I went with AK Interactive Medium Orange from their 3rd Generation range (AK11078). This paint sprayed superbly when thinned with Ultimate Airbrush Thinner and I hope their range expands to include some more authentic colours.

Everything else was painted with Vallejo ModelAir. Glossed with Future and Xtracrylix Matt to seal it all in.

The decals came from an old Cutting Edge set that perform pretty good but the Stars and Bars did need some extra double help from MicroSol to settle down. 

Onto the pictures and, as usual, comments welcomed.

Rgrr6vP.jpg

UFaW9cf.jpg

8UNDiJC.jpg

7e5Bb1U.jpg

gYdAzaX.jpg

Q7eXm3D.jpg

2YFS1wF.jpg

bjKAs24.jpg

PU0NuVH.jpg

649hFYg.jpg

bDBPe42.jpg

and lastly a couple with a commemorative F-15 built a few years ago, that Chuck Yeager took a flight in on the 50th anniversary of breaking the sound barrier.

szaUKiw.jpg

h5bxPJ9.jpg

Pete

• Like 28

Beautiful clean build. I like the cockpit detail and the extra detail on the entry hatch interior. The X-1 was a tiny bird, wasn't it?

Before I scrolled down I first wondered how you got on with the orange colour, having read that book as well. 

You got that just right. 

I do like that F-15 as well.

Martin

Shes is an absolute beauty mate, the colour looks spot on and she looks mach one just sitting there.

Great to see it next to the F15 as well, cant believe how small it is in comparison, almost looks 1:72! All this needs now is his P51 to complete the set :)

What a beauty! Excellent work. Not the easiest model to paint as the plastic is so dark, but you have done it with flying colours. I'm convinced that everyone who saw the movie "Right Stuff" as a kid or teenager will return to these pictures over and over again. I will.

Cheers,

Antti

That’s just so cool.. and funnily enough was just talking to my son about the “Right Stuff” as well. Excellent build and so inspirational. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Nice job.  I'm more casual than most about modelling... If the colour isn't quite right, who cares?  As long as it looks good... And it does!  (I gotta get me one o' those  puppies in 72... Won't even take up much space in my cabinet).

Fantastic job! I’ve got this kit on my wishlist, seeing your work may bump it up a bit!

Thank you for sharing this build, as well as the F-15. Both look phenomenal. 

Sorry for slow response to the great comments but been having too much fun modelling other things.

Thanks to all who took time to post a comment or like the build, much appreciated. 

I'm glad that the colour gets the thumbs up because I wasn't sure to start with but it grew on me once glossed and even more so when I matted it back down.

I remember watching The Right Stuff for the first time many years ago and have lost count on how many more times I've watched it again since. It's a toss up between this and Top Gun on which has been seen more times, probably Top Gun, but close.

I was lucky enough to fulfill an ambition and visit Edwards AFB for an airshow some years ago, 2009 ish, and the place is so steeped in history. Brilliant day just taking in the sights and magic of the place. Even had the extra bonus of Chuck Yeager and Joe Engle (Astronaut) going up in the back of two F-16's to break the sound barrier for the airshow.  

14 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Nice work!  Color does look good.

Is there a build thread? 

Sorry dnl42 I didn't do a build thread for this one, keep promising myself to do one again soon but then forget and start something else. I did take a few in progress pictures of some bits though, so I will see if anything interesting was among them.

Pete

Very nicely done indeed. There's something about "X" planes that just reaches out and grabs you, no matter what country they come from. Some of the experimental stuff from the 40s and 50s was way out there.

Cheers,

Bill