1/24 Revell Mk1 Mini Cooper

With the Challenger finished and the Chargers trickling along I decided to start this one. I got this in a big gift set with a modern BMW Mini which I sold on so it sits in the lid of my old MPC General Lee. 
The main difference between the Revell and the Tamiya kits are this represents the original 998cc Cooper rather than the 1275 Cooper S so it has the full width front balance which was later changed with cut outs to help cool the front brakes. 
I’ve got as far as cleaning up the main body parts for primer. 

Revell Mini

Fair bit of flash to clean up for a recent kit :( 

I’ve added the inner front wings and bulkhead to the ‘chassis’ as it all needs painting the same colour. In typical Mini style, it’s needed some filler already :D 

Revell Mini

Im just waiting for this to dry so I can sand it back and prime everything in one go. 

The rest in the lid, nothing exciting here

Revell Mini

Instructions and the rather nice decal sheet 

Revell Mini

The wheel trims are already taking an oven cleaner bath

Revell Mini

They are correct for a 998 Cooper but a bit too shiny. When they’re stripped back, I’m thinking of seeing if I can make the triangular cut outs round to represent the later white steelies with hubcaps. If not, I’ll just repaint in a duller silver. 

When I had Minis years ago, I always wanted one in Surf Blue

Revell Mini

This is kind of what I’ll aim for with it, maybe a few variations on the way. 

Cheers

Chris

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, ElectricLightAndy said:

Indeed very cool, never seen one of these being built, usually only the tamiya, may I ask why did you sell the mini one?

I do like that blue too :)

Andy.

Think I’m just a dyed in the wool original Mini guy so I’d never build it. I’ve had 4 or 5 classic Minis in various states before I got into Saab’s so they appeal to me more. 

• Like 1

Nice, also saabs are cool too, my uncle has always had saabs when I was really little he had the V4 thing in brown, is it a 95? And then a large succession of the classic 900s currently a white G reg hatchback, really well engineered cars I think, it's also quite great to see that Saab made the triumph slant engine actually work :)

Anyhoo, it's always great to see a mini being built, I look forward to seeing your progress!

Andy.

Saab V4’s were 95 estate or 96 saloon, either way they’re pretty cool though I prefer the 99 ;)

I tried one of my new sprays to see if it suits my needs. Ford Riviera blue over white and grey primer test mules. 

Revel Mini

Not really much different in the picture but the blue on the white primed Draken is brighter than the grey primed Hawk. 

For me I prefer the blue over the grey for this build so I have primed all the body colour bits grey

Revel Mini

I haven’t fully decided on roof colour yet but primed it anyway to check for and imperfections before topcoat

• Like 4

Revell Mini

Revell Mini

I like this colour and the coverage of the little Hycote spray cans.
I have decided to go white with the roof. It’s in white primer so I can mask off the guttering to paint blue and then clear coat it to shine it up. I can always chuck the union flag decal on if it goes pear shaped ;)

• Like 9

No great progress today as I had a good tidy of my shed/work area. I did find an old Tamiya Mini roof rack I totally forgot I had which may find its way onto this one :)

Started the engine too.

Revell Mini

Looking at the engine parts I noticed something cool that may just make this my favourite kit— the distributor has the plug leads moulded on, nice touch ;)

Hope the points are set correctly and leads in the correct order ;)

Revell Mini

They’ve stopped short of tooling a marigold with the fingertips cut off to keep the dizzy dry :D

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

On my Revell Monte kit the leads seem a bit oversize.  Maybe not so obvious if black though.  At least Revell provided a way for electricity to reach the plugs - unlike the real thing in my occasional experience!

• Like 1

Really nice.

I had a 66 Surf Blue Cooper S some years ago. I made a model of this Tamya. Unfortunately I forgot to swap the wipers for Left Hand Drive.... The Tamya kit did not have the correct rims. I put on MiniLite, but my car had the standard 3.5x10.

8-)