Battle of Okinawa - Avenger TBM-3

AaronKSJ

Afternoon All!

Second entry into this GB.

2020-05-08_09-22-47

I'll be a bit slow at making a start on this one - working on a few other bits too at the mow. 

Have the Eduard mask set already and some pre painted etched belts on their way over in the post.

I'll be doing the box art markings so that it fits within the time frame needed for the GB :)

I've been having a read over some the previous WIPs on this kit on here. From what I can gather based on what I've read here and on the IMPS link that has popped up a lot - I'm thinking it should be interior green through, with no bronze green around the pilot area? 
Couldn't find any info on the bomb bay colour - interior green is called out in the AM instructions or should it be zinc yellow / insignia white etc? Any thoughts? 

This will the first time I've build any of the re-boxed Accurate Miniatures kits so looking forwards to it. 

Aaron

• Like 5

Aaron,

Another good selection.  I have this kit and will be watching with interest.

The interior colours for these confuses me too so hopefully, you'll get an answer which will help me (mine will eventually get built as an Aeronavale example in North Africa).

Good luck with this one too.

• Like 1

Great choice. 

Its good old to see some US Navy hardware. I built one of these a few ago and it’s still one of the nicest kits I’ve ever had the pleasure to put together. 

Will watch with interest. 

james

• Like 1

On 5/9/2020 at 12:59 AM, AaronKSJ said:

I'm thinking it should be interior green through, with no bronze green around the pilot area? 
Couldn't find any info on the bomb bay colour - interior green is called out in the AM instructions or should it be zinc yellow / insignia white etc? Any thoughts? 

Hi Aaron,

Nice choice for a build subject, I would love to do a TBF-1C flown

by the RNZAF, but our TBF's were replaced by the Mighty F4U Corsair

in the given time line of this GB.

To help with your question, it's my understanding that the GM (General Motors)

built TBM (M designating a GM build), were finished with US Interior Green for Crew

areas, and a Zinc Chromate (Green) for other areas like bomb bay etc

This photo of an RNZAF TBF-1C, I took some few years ago shows the original

(Darker looking) tinted Zinc Chromate Green used by Grumman.

Caveat, it may not be the same/exact match to the type GM used

TBF-1C+Bomb+bay.jpg

Hope that helps you?

Look forward to your build :)

Regards

Alan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the interest gents :D

I said there would be a slow start with this one....

This weekend I cut the fuselage from the sprue along with the cockpit floor and bomb bay roof and that was it :rofl:

The quality of the plastic looks superb. Seems such a shame that AM went under. 

Had a rummage around and for paints - I've got some Mr Hobby Interior Green and Mig Ammo Zinc Chromate Green so should be good for the interior. 

Aaron

Still not got going fully with the Avenger yet. (Focusing on the Spitfire still for that GB, but should have it finished within a week or two) 

All I've really got to show to is a pile of parts that have been cleaned up. 

IMAG0714

Been tiding up the injector pin marks, most of which haven't been too bad. 

bomb bay doors look to be the most sever ones...

IMAG0715

Speaking of the bomb-bay I was trying to decide on what ordinance to fit. As it comes with 4 500Lb bombs which seem to be the standard option. Kit also comes with a 1600 & 2000Lb bomb. In the original AM instructions it makes mention of the large bombs being fitting to the middle bomb rack - but can't see any obvious way to do this. 
If anyone has fit the larger ordinance I'd love to hear what you did. 

The kit does come with some rockets - I'd be inclined to leave them off as I think they spoil the look of it. But would the rocket mounting points always be in place? 

Maybe next time I'll actually have some paint on this! 

Aaron

• Like 1

Still no paint :blink:

But nearly every part has been snipped and cleaned up. 

Started gluing some bits together and test fitting to see of everything fits. 

Half a dozen sink marks have been filled, mainly in the wings. 

One of the benefits I'm finding of starting this kit so slowly (while I wrap up some others) is that I'm spending more time on prep and taking the time to sort out sink marks and such.

Not sure how to tackle the clear instrument panel. Thinking tiny drops of Mr Mask stuff onto the recessed instrument faces and then painting up. I just suspect that this will cause some paint to lift off when the masking solution is removed. 
And the back of the panel should be painted a gloss black. 
Thoughts / advice welcome. 

But yeah, that's it so far......

IMAG0745

Aaron

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I have actually been working away on this one! 

Interior is coming along nicely. It's been painted Mr Hobby interior green and then a brown oil wash followed by a light grey drybrush. 

I did somewhat stall on the build last weekend I think due to a lot of none stop model making recently! 

Aim for the day is to grab a brush at some point and get some chipping done.

IMAG0790

IMAG0789

IMAG0788

IMAG0787

Aaron

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Oh wow, two weeks since an update. 

I feel very idle now! 

Have been doing a bit of work on the Avenger on and off. Fuselage has been glued up and promptly after that the radio / bomber seat fell out. Not dealt with that yet. 

Picture update:

IMAG0796

IMAG0795

IMAG0793

IMAG0797

IMAG0798

IMAG0812

IMAG0809

IMAG0810

Pleased with how that's turned out. 

Will need a bit of touch work around the tower behind the pilots headrest as I managed to get a glue smear there. 

Most of the past week has involved working on sanding and polishing the seams which where not bad at all. 
And working on the wings, undercarriage etc. 

Sounds like the weather is going to break tomorrow so no doubt get a lot more done over the weekend. 

Also, I purchased my first kit off of Ebay. I had been have an look around for a 1/48 Revell Catalina but the prices are eyewatering 
Did end up looking for to see what other kits Accurate Miniatures have released - and this arrived yesterday 

IMAG0813

Sprue still sealed and came with a bunch of goodies too (true details wheels, Eduard mark and zoom etch set) 
I'm quite excited for this one as I also like the Atlantic scheme (gull grey over white is the Atlantic Scheme right?) 

Aaron

• Like 4

12 hours ago, AaronKSJ said:

I'm quite excited for this one as I also like the Atlantic scheme (gull grey over white is the Atlantic Scheme right?) 

There was an early and a late atlantic scheme. The early didnt last  very long and the colors were Dk. Gull grey/Lt.gull grey over non-spec. white = early. And the late was Dk gull grey over non-spec. white. 
Early:

TFiPgF4.png

Late:

DBTVyWP.jpg

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 2