Mehrzweckwaffe 1 (MW-1) in 1/48 for Luftwaffe Tornado

Christer A

On 5/25/2020 at 10:07 AM, coneheadff said:

Awesome!!!

If Revell's kit wasn't that pain in the... I would ask you to hit the 1/48 print key 😉

Revell's kit is most definitely not a pain in the three little dots if you build it like it is supposed to be built (and not according to the instructions, then).

And count me in for a 1/48, my seventh Revell Tornado is waiting for proper armament...

Cheers,

S.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2020 at 9:02 PM, Christer A said:

Here are two CAD images of the 1/72 version:

49988542277_9b3e0fa207_o.jpg

49987779943_7503093391_o.jpg

My 3D printing friend had some ideas that we need to split them and make them hollow. To do so, we need to add drainage holes and also locating pegs to help with assembly.

It was also discovered that it was more of a hindrance that I made the drain holes, since it interfered with the slicing/printing software.

I'm quite sure that I made the holes slightly larger than the pegs, so even though the resin shrinks a bit, it should still fit.

The printer is running all night, and with great luck maybe I have something to show soon.

Hopefully that's it for the 72 version, so now I can initiate 1/48, the one that I wanted from the beginning...

Don't use drain holes.

Shell those parts out, you'll reduce succion force, resin volume and shrinkage. 

• Like 1

Well, the drain holes turned out to be a slightly bad idea, as are the guide pin holes.

Due to the hardening process the pins grow in size and the holes shrink a bit so it gets impossible to join them together...

But here are the latest picture from the 1/72 version.

50001654592_901fb052d3_4k.jpg

Sanding that join down to perfect perpendicularity is anything but easy... but my mate Tommy is a resourceful chap, and glued it together like this

50000879713_0a97eecd3d_4k.jpg

After a very light sanding and two coats of primer, it looks like this

50001402736_ecba8bc9ed_4k.jpg

50001654447_b95f30c74b_4k.jpg

50000879658_7beb8af0fa_4k.jpg

Kind of neat!

I wonder if one should approach some resin casting expert/company to see if we can do this as a resin cast in the end?

We'll see.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning!

There has been some interesting developments the last few week. More and more people were getting interested in buying these things and I was almost (not really) looking forward to spend all summer printing, packaging and posting MW-1:s all over the world.

I thought, why not see if some resin aftermarket company is interested?

It turns out there was, especially when I dumped 3 finished CAD models in the 3 smaller scale with a promise to do the 1/32 as well (for the upcoming Italeri Tonka off course!)

Hopefully in a not too far future you'll be able to buy resin MW-1 that'll look a bit like these:
50035417058_f3ab40de56_o.jpg

50035417008_ac330862b3_o.jpg

Once we've commercialized everything I'll let you know!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

That is fantastic work Christer, thank you and a very welcome missing piece in modelling the Tornado! I have one point though. Have you dawn the CAD for an inert, unloaded MW-1? I think if fully loaded the cylindrical munitions within the dispenser tubes would be flush with the outer faces, therefore the round holes would not be 3D sunken but merely a 2D scribed circles representing the outer face of the munition flush with the sides. I'm not sure how one would paint all those little circles correctly so maybe a wash within the indents of the holes like you have designed is actually a better way to go about it.

David 

Thanks for the input David!

I'm actually reducing the indent as I go up in scales.

In 1/144 it looks more fun to actually show the tubes than having the sides being totally flush, so there they're quite deep.

IIRC the indent I've chosen is 0,5mm in 1/32, but that could still change if needed since that one is not sent away to printing yet.

I've based most of my design works on the pictures found in post #26, since that was the only thing I found, short of travelling to a museum in Germany.

One could always do it as pure panel line instead and supply the circles as decals?

That would make it flush, but might look a bit boring.

I mean, the tubes are the thing with MW-1 and if one cannot show them off easily the pod will just look like a large green thing, that's isn't as menacing as the 224-tubes of death that one wants to show off... 

• Like 1

Playing around a bit with the 1/32 version and looking/squinting at the reference pictures I had the great idea to add some actual rivet heads to the heat shield:

50061935671_220f6b22b0_o.jpg

Is this prefereable to the 1/48 version that doesn't have anything?

50061957421_01db36fe35_o.jpg

To me, the rivets/fasteners that attach the blast shield looks a bit lager compared to the rivets/fasteners around the launch tubes, so I though that I could have a go at it.

Maybe I'm overdoing it?

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well Guys these are now available thank you to all of Christer's hard work. I little while ago he approached me to see if I would like these available so without much hesitation I took up the offer.

Three scales are now available 1/144, 1/72 and 1/48 see the links below.

pictures show all three scales 

3 scales MW-1 top

3 scales MW-1 side

1/144 scale https://aerocraftmodels.bigcartel.com/product/mehrzweckwaffe-1-mw-1-for-luftwaffe-tornado

1/72 scale https://aerocraftmodels.bigcartel.com/product/mehrzweckwaffe-1-mw-1-for-luftwaffe-tornado-1-72

1/48 scale https://aerocraftmodels.bigcartel.com/product/mehrzweckwaffe-1-mw-1-for-luftwaffe-tornado-1-48

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 5/9/2020 at 1:25 PM, Slater said:

Hang one under a model Eurofighter and call it a MW-2. That should turn a few heads. :D

What do you mean by that ? Like it was a weapon of its time ....area denial....doubtless for troops on the ground bit of a problem ....maybe Im hanging on too tight but I dont think you comment is particularly big cheesy grin ....they are an indescrimate weapon that is causing grief daily still.Apologies if Ive misread your comment ...btw Bombhead originally now avionics and the like 

Edited by junglierating
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, junglierating said:

What do you mean by that ? Like it was a weapon of its time ....area denial....doubtless for troops on the ground bit of a problem ....maybe Im hanging on too tight but I dont think you comment is particularly big cheesy grin ....they are an indescrimate weapon that is causing grief daily still.Apologies if Ive misread your comment ...btw Bombhead originally now avionics and the like 

I'm retired military (USAF Munitions) so maybe I'm not aware of certain sensitivities regarding CBU's (having handled thousands over my career)? In my time it was just another weapon to be applied as the situation required. Of course, nowadays more humane substitutes are being sought that will achieve a similar effect without the residual hazards.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, exdraken said:

Already orderd!

Thanks @Christer A and @Ali62

(Added some Hunter stuff as well...)

:)

Wow, an early customer!

I hope you'll like it.

13 hours ago, Ali62 said:

Well Guys these are now available thank you to all of Christer's hard work. I little while ago he approached me to see if I would like these available so without much hesitation I took up the offer.

Three scales are now available 1/144, 1/72 and 1/48 see the links below.

pictures show all three scales 

3 scales MW-1 top

3 scales MW-1 side

1/144 scale https://aerocraftmodels.bigcartel.com/product/mehrzweckwaffe-1-mw-1-for-luftwaffe-tornado

1/72 scale https://aerocraftmodels.bigcartel.com/product/mehrzweckwaffe-1-mw-1-for-luftwaffe-tornado-1-72

1/48 scale https://aerocraftmodels.bigcartel.com/product/mehrzweckwaffe-1-mw-1-for-luftwaffe-tornado-1-48

Ohhh, this is just great! And perfect timing as well since the Tonka GB starts in 4 weeks time or so.

Remember, if anyone wants a 1/32 dispenser pod, I think @Ali62 is happy to accept pre-orders for it 😃

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Christer A said:

Ohhh, this is just great! And perfect timing as well since the Tonka GB starts in 4 weeks time or so.

that is the exact idea... green green green brown Luftwaffe Tornado loaded with the MW-1, maybe exchangeable with a full 250kg Matra bomb load.....  ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, exdraken said:

that is the exact idea... green green green brown Luftwaffe Tornado loaded with the MW-1, maybe exchangeable with a full 250kg Matra bomb load.....  ;)

Whew! Then it will look different compared to my green green black Luftwaffe Tornado with a MW-1 then!

13 hours ago, Slater said:

I'm retired military (USAF Munitions) so maybe I'm not aware of certain sensitivities regarding CBU's (having handled thousands over my career)? In my time it was just another weapon to be applied as the situation required. Of course, nowadays more humane substitutes are being sought that will achieve a similar effect without the residual hazards.

Well im an ex Bombhead (RN) so no doubt similar but with rather less in the way of spread of ordnance. Difference of opinion  after all its a hobby but having been stuck on Glamoc ranges thanks to the chinook boys delivering us to the wrong LS with mine tape everywhere it tends to heighten the sensitivity....still let agree to differ and anyway UK and Germany at least signed the accord banning use and manufacturing of Cluster munitions...i note the the states havent....yet? 😀👍

8 hours ago, junglierating said:

Well im an ex Bombhead (RN) so no doubt similar but with rather less in the way of spread of ordnance. Difference of opinion  after all its a hobby but having been stuck on Glamoc ranges thanks to the chinook boys delivering us to the wrong LS with mine tape everywhere it tends to heighten the sensitivity....still let agree to differ and anyway UK and Germany at least signed the accord banning use and manufacturing of Cluster munitions...i note the the states havent....yet? 😀👍

No worries. When I entered the USAF, all the NCO's were Vietnam veterans. That was quite a non-PC crowd to learn from.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a bit late to stumble across this thread, but great work on this slightly oddly iconic weapon @Christer A. I guess that status owes to images like the ones in this thread appearing in many books of the time. I'll hopefully be getting one soon.

On 5/8/2020 at 3:38 PM, Christer A said:

Well, the Hobbyboss IDS does too in 1/48, but it seems rather bonkers to buy a kit just to get a weapon...

Reading through the whole thread, this comment did catch my eye as whilst I personally agree, it actually isn't that uncommon to see the Hobbyboss IDS kit appear on eBay with a note stating that these parts are no longer in the kit. So perhaps quite a few have bought the kit purely for the MW-1 to use on presumably the Revel kit and flogged the rest. But no need to do that any more!

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Filler said:

Reading through the whole thread, this comment did catch my eye as whilst I personally agree, it actually isn't that uncommon to see the Hobbyboss IDS kit appear on eBay with a note stating that these parts are no longer in the kit. So perhaps quite a few have bought the kit purely for the MW-1 to use on presumably the Revel kit and flogged the rest. But no need to do that any more!

If the HobbyBoss one would look like the real one it would be an option... but it hardly does....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, exdraken said:

If the HobbyBoss one would look like the real one it would be an option... but it hardly does....

Really? That kit just doesn’t have much going for it does it?

• Haha 1