Mehrzweckwaffe 1 (MW-1) in 1/48 for Luftwaffe Tornado

Christer A

On 5/14/2020 at 8:59 PM, Christer A said:

I wonder if this book has something of interest?

911F6119-CF91-4221-B23D-6AC27E3B7E6B_170

Let me take a look tomorrow. Can't remember if it had any pictures of the MW 1

Edited by coneheadff

No info in Hawkins book and also not in FOX TWOs Tornado book.

But I found one more photo on my computer which I must have found somewhere on the net. Hope it's ok if I post it.

spacer.png

Edited by coneheadff
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Christer A said:

Thanks! That was an even better picture of the nose area.

By the way, is the Hawkins book worth buying?

It has some great photos in it and the detail shots are good too, but the Fox 2 book is waaaaay better regarding details.

https://shopofphantoms.com/rhino/Pulsar/de_DE.Shop.displayShop.4952./ft001

Wow, that's for sure a very detailed book on late Luftwaffe Tonkas!

I need some references for whenever I start to build one.

Regarding the pod itself, I had an idea that sort of led to a slight remodelling of the entire thing, but that the life in CAD!

I thought it was a great idea to actually split the pods into it's four segments, and also cut off the nose and tail pieces.

Looking at the pictures more closely, I'm not quite sure that the front and rear tube arrangement is the same, it's just mated to a different nose/tail piece.

Thinking like that, one can get away with just modelling one quarter of the pod and then mirror it a couple of times to the correct look.

It was also time to add some rivets/fasteners, bomb shackles and so on.

After spending the entire day yesterday just chipping away at the pixels I arrived here:

49923080021_f1ef5d5606_o.jpg

Now I just need to to the nose and tail pieces (that should not be identical) and then the 1/1 version is done!

Then it needs to be scaled to the target scales and adapted for printing.

I'm quite sure most details will be lost in 1/144...

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Christer A said:

Wow, that's for sure a very detailed book on late Luftwaffe Tonkas!

I need some references for whenever I start to build one.

Regarding the pod itself, I had an idea that sort of led to a slight remodelling of the entire thing, but that the life in CAD!

I thought it was a great idea to actually split the pods into it's four segments, and also cut off the nose and tail pieces.

Looking at the pictures more closely, I'm not quite sure that the front and rear tube arrangement is the same, it's just mated to a different nose/tail piece.

Thinking like that, one can get away with just modelling one quarter of the pod and then mirror it a couple of times to the correct look.

It was also time to add some rivets/fasteners, bomb shackles and so on.

After spending the entire day yesterday just chipping away at the pixels I arrived here:

49923080021_f1ef5d5606_o.jpg

Very nice!

But have a look, those white cube type things (#1,#4 )are not on the same spot lengthwise...

Whatever they are anyways, they are not present all photos either...

Edited by exdraken
  • Sad 1

Good morning!

I've moved the rear "connector square" or whatever it is to a further rear position.

49932614758_4d96d8bbdd_o.jpg

Is that better?

I have nothing to go on really, except for the perspective pictures...

I've also made the tail and nose pieces:

49933127496_f46f47bcda_o.jpg

What's the verdict?

Should I hit print on the 1/144 version 😎 ?

Edited by Christer A
  • Like 3

Thanks!

I've got requests for all four scales so....but the 1/48 will get the most attention to detail because that's what I need for my (scary and to be filled to the wing gloves with resin) Revell !

The reason for start with 1/144 is that we do not need to make any holes for draining when printing it.

The other ones needs to be hollow in some way, so the nest step is to find out how to split them for better assembly.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Christer A said:

Thanks!

I've got requests for all four scales so....but the 1/48 will get the most attention to detail because that's what I need for my (scary and to be filled to the wing gloves with resin) Revell !

Yip...I know what you mean.

Wheel wells, cockpit, intakes...

I put mine back into the box as I lost my mojo. But even if I start her again...I converted the forward fuselage to a Gr.1A and cut two camera windows into it.

And to start a second Revell Tornado...

• Sad 1

Crep Paramatric is really not for personal use. When I first started to use it, and also seeing it demoed live one needed a beefy Unix machine, or preferably a Silicon Graphics workstation of some sort. As you can guess, this was in the mid 90:s..

I have no idea on what one year license for a private user would cost, but they have reduced the price by atleast 75% to be able to compete with the Autodesk Inventor or Solidworks. Still, that one year licence is around 5000£ per year + extra £ if you want support and upgrades.

I haven't really though about making the STL:s available. I'm toying with the idea of selling them myself, or to some cottage industry like Freightdog or similar.

Meanwhile, I've adapted the first in scale version, the 1/144:

49937190311_043a63a280_o.jpg

Edited by Christer A
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Here are two CAD images of the 1/72 version:

49988542277_9b3e0fa207_o.jpg

49987779943_7503093391_o.jpg

My 3D printing friend had some ideas that we need to split them and make them hollow. To do so, we need to add drainage holes and also locating pegs to help with assembly.

It was also discovered that it was more of a hindrance that I made the drain holes, since it interfered with the slicing/printing software.

I'm quite sure that I made the holes slightly larger than the pegs, so even though the resin shrinks a bit, it should still fit.

The printer is running all night, and with great luck maybe I have something to show soon.

Hopefully that's it for the 72 version, so now I can initiate 1/48, the one that I wanted from the beginning...

• Like 4