A Tale of Two Typhoons

Well for my quarterly (or so) photo session I pulled out a bunch of completed kits finished this year. I've just posted a couple of them on another forum and was working out the ones appropriate for Britmodeller when in a case of Serendipity I realised the title for he FW190's in the other post applied just as equally to 2 of the subjects with a British theme.

The 1st is a RAAF tropical trials Typhoon. It is a Brengun kit and represents 1 of 3 aircraft sent to the Middle East to test out a Tropical filter. They were operated by 451 Squadron RAAF and the kit has been modified by a conversion set made by Red Roo. This consists of a tropical filter in resin and decals for all 3 Tropical airframes. The main issue with the kit is a number of panel lines having mould damage which need rescribing. I also had trouble with the wing to fuselage fit and the canopy. The latter has been replaced by a Falcon vacform. The fishplates on the fuselage come from a Brengun etch set.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 10

The 2nd kit isn't actually mine. Its built by my son who favours modern topics whereas I'm mainly trapped in WW2. Obviously the Eurofighter Typhoon was named after the Hawker fighter though whether the Luftwaffe likes reminding of this for their mounts would be interesting.

The kit is the Hasegawa one and I have no idea what unit it belongs to. The instructions are stored away but I'm sure members here will know in a moment.

As far as I know the kit is straight out of the box.

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Michael louey said:

The 2nd kit isn't actually mine. Its built by my son who favours modern topics whereas I'm mainly trapped in WW2. Obviously the Eurofighter Typhoon was named after the Hawker fighter though whether the Luftwaffe likes reminding of this for their mounts would be interesting.

It follows on from Tornado as an impressive forceful name, and is pronounced the same in German (Taifun) as it is in Britain.  I'm not quite sure about the Italians and Spanish.  There was considerable discussion for the name of the MRCA between the three nations, Panther originally being quite favoured, but as this is spelt differently in Italian then Tornado was chosen as being appropriately macho and multilingual.  Typhoon is about as close as it is possible to come to a similar solution.

9 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

It follows on from Tornado as an impressive forceful name, and is pronounced the same in German (Taifun) as it is in Britain.  I'm not quite sure about the Italians and Spanish.  There was considerable discussion for the name of the MRCA between the three nations, Panther originally being quite favoured, but as this is spelt differently in Italian then Tornado was chosen as being appropriately macho and multilingual.  Typhoon is about as close as it is possible to come to a similar solution.

Morning Graham,

I'm sure this is the official guidance on the naming however I recall when first announced there was a bit of uproar in the press about it - e.g. this article from BBC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/163092.stm

Of course the Germans did have a Typhoon but the Me 108 hardly seems an obvious candidate to name a strike fighter after.

Cheers

Michael

If the press write "it is thought" then this means "We think this is a good story but without any actual evidence".

Now it may be that there was some angst in Germany over the name, but let's have some evidence.  Unfortunately I was no longer involved in the project at this time so wouldn't hear any internal rumblings.

• Like 1

Both models are great, as for the manufactured non controversy well there is a a tendency for certain people to be offended on behalf of other people who aren't offended in the first place. This I know from personal experience. 🙄