1/72 La-5FN kits

What's currently the best 1/72 La-5FN?  I haven't built one in a long time; I've done the AML kit, and have an old KP in my stash. I see some newer names listed that I don't think existed when I last tried, but no idea how they currently stack up.

Hey Jolly Rogers Guy! The current best is still the new KP from 2 - 3 years ago. No one else has released anything recently; however, if you can wait a few months, KP are now saying that they will redo their kit and launch a new new La-5FN sometime late this year. Otherwise, Clear Prop have done a La-5 (as have KP as well) but have no intention of following up with a La-5FN, so whatever you've seen, KP are the only ones promising the FN.

John

Edited by John Thompson

2 hours ago, Andrew D Jolly Rogers guy said:

Hey there John! Since I have the "old" KP, is the "new" KP a new tool? Or a revamped re-release?

Completely new tool, released in 2015:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/kp-kovozavody-prost-jov-kpm0035-lavo-kin-la-5fn--953259

No connection whatsoever with the old KP La-5FN from back in the 1980's, except for the name on the box. Or the Italeri/Zvezda La-5FN-ish-looking thing from about the same era.

John

27 minutes ago, Sesquipedaliac said:

Zvezda also makes a 1/72 La-5FN. It's a pretty decent kit in terms of fit, though I don't know how it specifically stacks up against other kits.

1972 was a great year for a lot of things (I miss my old Ford Torino!), but it was long enough ago that details of Soviet aircraft weren't very well known to kit manufacturers. Yes, the Zvezda La-5FN is the same kit that originated back when Italeri was still "Italaerei", so, 48 years? It looks nice when built, just not as La-5FN-like as some newer kits. But props to Italaerei for trying!

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/italaerei-110-lavochkin-la-5--168118#

John

• Like 1