Airfix 1/72 MK 22 Spitfire FINISHED

Hello all. I’ve only gone and started another one for this GB. Having read Plastix’s build thread I had a look at mine and started putting bits together. 

spacer.png

Tonight I painted the cockpit bits and bobs and glued the fuselage together. I forgot to take some pics of the cockpit before closing the fuselage but the paint job was very basic as 90% will not be seen. So far it’s gone together ok but the kit is a bit rough in places so I think it will need some work to make the best of it.

spacer.png

Cheers Allan 

• Like 9

Hi all. Sorted the seam on the fuselage and stuck the wings together. Next I joined the wings and fuselage. Not the best fit in the world don’t know if it’s my issue or the kit’s but it will need some work. I’ve managed to get bit of a step on the the wing root which will be a pain to fix. With all the clean-up needed I don’t think the silver finish would be that great so it will be the camouflage version.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers Allan 

• Like 7

Hi Allen. Great to see you have got one of these kits underway. Sorry you didn't see how I put the upper wings on my Spitfires before you glued yours on. There are some odd moulding issues with some parts of this kit as well but it's still quite a nice kit overall. Looks like you have made good progress so far! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all. Some progress with this one. Starting to take shape now. Still some work on some seams and joins needed.spacer.png

Cheers Allan

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...

Evening all. I’ve decided to get this one finished before the end of the G B or it will end up in the box of doom destined to remain there.

Anyway I’ve got the bits together and given it a coat of primer. It’s looking not to bad but when I will look at more closely tomorrow. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers Allan 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Not to bad ? I think it looks great and with a smooth finish. 

Thanks Dennis. The finish is smooth. I used Halfords grey primer which gives a nice smooth base. When I said “not too bad” I was referring to the the seams which looked better than I expected. Admittedly I looked at it only briefly without wearing my reading glasses 🤓

Cheers Allan 

• Like 1

Good afternoon Alan

Don't worry, if you didn't manage to finish your build on July 12 you can still finish it but you won't be able to post photos in the Gallery section..

Best regards

Patrice

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all. I’ve not forgotten this one and managed some progress over the last few nights. I forgot to take some pics but I’ve nearly finished the painting. Still to paint the sky band on the fuselage and paint the canopy. I’m quite happy with how it’s looking so far. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers Allan 

• Like 4

Hi all. Small amount of progress tonight with the sky band painted. The masking was a pain trying to get straight lines round the curves of the fuselage. Turned out ok I think.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers Allan 

• Like 4

Hi all. Started on the decals tonight. I was rather unimpressed by them as they seemed very thick and difficult to work with. They were impervious to Microsol and Set and needed very hot water to soften them enough to bed down into the panel lines. I expected better as they were printed by Cartograf. Anyway the main decals are on and next session the stencils and the rest will be done.

spacer.png

spacer.png

As you can see I managed to break off one of the cannons I’m surprised it took this long for me to break something. 

Cheers Allan 

• Like 3

On 7/3/2020 at 12:45 AM, almac said:

Hi all. Started on the decals tonight. I was rather unimpressed by them as they seemed very thick and difficult to work with. They were impervious to Microsol and Set and needed very hot water to soften them enough to bed down into the panel lines. I expected better as they were printed by Cartograf. Anyway the main decals are on and next session the stencils and the rest will be done.

Hi Allan,

Coming along nicely. Cartograph decals can be very good, but I also have had one or two sheets which were a bit below their usual standard. To be honest I prefer slightly thicker ones as the trend towards very thin ones seems in some cases to have gone a bit too far and they disintegrate! However, they have to be thin enough to conform to the surface, with a little help if required.

I have found it a good idea to leave things like cannon off until just before spraying the finishing coat - I am getting increasingly clumsy in my advancing years. Unlike your kit. mine has seperate tiny nav lights to go at the wingtip - not looking forward to them at all as I am almost guaranteed to drop at least one.

Cheers

Pete

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PeterB said:

I have found it a good idea to leave things like cannon off until just before spraying the finishing coat - I am getting increasingly clumsy in my advancing years. Unlike your kit. mine has seperate tiny nav lights to go at the wingtip - not looking forward to them at all as I am almost guaranteed to drop at least one.

Thanks Peter. I would usually leave things like cannons off till the build was nearly complete but I didn't think they fitted too well and would need some work to achieve a better fit. I was reluctant to wait till after the painting and decals in case I messed up. The cannon should go back and on without much fuss. I think.

Cheers Allan

• Like 1

Hi all. Finally finished this one tonight. This kit was a bit of a chore for me. The decals were not that great as I mentioned in an earlier post. They were rather thick and only settled into the details when soaked in very hot water.  Many of the smaller stencils silvered a lot. I don’t know if my gloss finish was not glossy enough or it was the decals at fault. The final bits such as undercarriage, prop, canopy etc took a while as I found many parts simply didn’t fit well and needed much trimming. Anyway another one completed so on to the next one, a d-day mk IX. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers Allan 

• Like 3

Morning all. Took some pictures for the gallery this morning and same posted. Thanks again to the GB hosts and all who took part and took the time to leave comments.

Cheers Allan