Olds 442 1969 muscle car

After a couple of Lancia rally cars completed, had a look through the stash and thought I'd give this a go as I fancied something different :) 

Never built an AMT kit before, so it's a learning curve for me, but I've always loved the look of the American muscle cars

The wife and daughter got me this and a 70 Corvette from a long shopping weekend in NY a couple of years ago,  :) 

This will probably be one of the most expensive kits I'll ever make when you factor in flights and hotels etc, but at least I didn'y have to trapse around the shops with them🤣

20200507_231654_resized

• Like 5

Was originally going to do this in red as per the box art, but as I've just done the red stratos I needed another colour, but couldn't decide

Watching the TV yesterday I saw a black Chevelle SS with the white bonnet stripes, so here we are :) 

I haven't got a lot of gloss back at present, but I remember someone saying they use white primer and gloss clearcoat (I think it was Andy) as I'd got black oneshot primer I thought I'd give it a go. Nothing ventured nothing gained. As it's primer it's covered really well :) 

I'll leave it under the box till tomorrow and if it looks ok I'll clearcoat and leave to harden off a week or so while I do the interior and engine :) 

20200508_145200_resized

• Like 7

44 minutes ago, Mr Mansfield said:

That looks like a perfectly smooth finish. What clear coat will you use?

Thanks

I've got some Mr Super clear gloss UV cut I've been meaning to try for a while :) 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Redstaff said:

Thanks

I've got some Mr Super clear gloss UV cut I've been meaning to try for a while :) 

Nice. I’ve not tried that, so I’ll be watching with interest.

So far, I’ve used Velejo clear gloss, which didn’t give the best shine, Halfords clear which gives a good shine, but goes on really thick and Zero pre-thinned which is my favourite so far. I can’t use 2 pack clears as I paint in the house

Good luck!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr Mansfield said:

So far, I’ve used Velejo clear gloss, which didn’t give the best shine, Halfords clear which gives a good shine, but goes on really thick and Zero pre-thinned which is my favourite so far. I can’t use 2 pack clears as I paint in the house

I've got zero pre mixed as well, but not tried it yet

I usually  use Tamiya TS-13 and have good results, but someone recommended this, so I'm gving it a go

I've never had much sucess with airbrushing clear gloss so always use a rattle can now, but am willing to give the zero a try at some point :) 

Hi Ian, you're right I've been clear coating the primer for a while now with great results. I've only used the gloss coat over mr surfacer 1500 so far but I think it will probably work over most primers just make sure the first couple of coats are light and it should work fine. If in doubt try it out on a plastic spoon first better to ruin a spoon than your kit. 

• Like 1

Thanks Andy

TBH it's Ammo mig one shot primer and it does look really smooth

I'll do it like with the Tamiya and see how it works, ie mist coat, cover coat about 15-20 mins later then a wet coat after another 15-20 mins, then cover and leave

I'm hoping it will be ok as the Mr Super gloss is supposed to be good

We'll all find out tomorrow...........  :) 

• Like 1

Well gents, the wait is over and to say that I'm impressed with the result would be an understatement :) 

I did it like I said, mist coat over the primer, cover and have a brew for 15 mins, cover and give a slightly heavier coat, cover 15 mins, give a final wet look coat and cover. Thanks for the tip @Andy J

Took pic about 5 hours later and the finish is as shown 😮 best gloss I've ever got out of a rattle can, now to leave a week or so while I carry on with the rest :) 

20200509_170001_resized

• Like 7

Glad it worked out for you mate. Your gloss finish is fantastic however no matter how smooth the primer looks if you wet sand it lightly with 5000 grit so the primer looks completely matt in finish the gloss coat will be even better. Trust me you will be able to dive into it 😉

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Andy J said:

Glad it worked out for you mate. Your gloss finish is fantastic however no matter how smooth the primer looks if you wet sand it lightly with 5000 grit so the primer looks completely matt in finish the gloss coat will be even better. Trust me you will be able to dive into it 😉

Thanks Andy

I'll give that a try next time.

The primer looked so smooth and flawless I didn't want to touch it just in case

4 minutes ago, Redstaff said:

Thanks Andy

I'll give that a try next time.

The primer looked so smooth and flawless I didn't want to touch it just in case

Hi Ian, it's only a suggestion for you to consider. The gloss shine you've achieved is easily good enough for the effect your looking for but there's always room for improvement. Not everyone is a fan of a high gloss finish and I respect that, it's just something I enjoy doing and sharing tips and advice is a big part of this forum imo. Looking forward to seeing  more progress mate but what ever you do make sure you give that gloss plenty of time to cure it only takes one finger print to ruin your fine work 👍

• Thanks 1

I'm always up for tips and suggestions mate, I've learnt a lot off this forum and try to help back as well if I can 

I know what you mean mate. Rally cars don't need as high a gloss as F1 cars and muscle cars would have a fair amount t of gloss and kept polished. I think the gloss always looks deeper on a darker colour like black anyway. I know I've  got to resist the urge to touch it for at least a week, that's why I've done the body first for a change not halfway through lime I normally do 😉

I'm the last person who should be talking about having patience mate, my current build is almost finished and that will be number 9 so far this year 😂

• Haha 1

Not managed to get a lot done this week TBH, and from yesterday I'm back at work, glad in one way as I missed the routine, but will miss the modelling time :) 

Managed to paint, assemble and fit the engine, don't know whether its normal AMT, as I haven't built one before, but the location points seem quite vague and take a lot of taping and wedging things in to hold in place 🤔 and I'd forgotten how much I hate chrome parts 🙄

Will try and get some more done over the weekend :) 

20200515_064110_resized

• Like 5

Looks good, black works well on these  I seem to remember cursing those intake hoses.  There isn't really a "typical" AMT standard because the company changed hands so many times and the current Round 2 range includes reissues of kits originally tooled by MPC, Lindberg and Polar Lights.   Some of the '80s and '90s kits hold up well; others date back to the '60s and simplified chassis detail, shared with the promo models of the day.   This Olds was originally an MPC kit and it's pretty good by MPC standards...

Thanks for the history lesson on the kits, I never realised they changed hands so much over the years. It's not a bad kit, detail isn't up to Tamiya/Hasegawa standards, but surpasses Italeri. Fair amount of flash in parts, but all the parts are solid :) 

I agree, black does look good :) 

4 hours ago, Six97s said:

I seem to remember cursing those intake hoses. 

You remember well then, they were a pain in the backside to fit, I ended up fixing the bottoms in place with blu-tac while I applied CA with a coctail stick till the gap on the top was filled and the joint solid then after a couple of hours removed the blu-tac and glued the bottom, then touched up paint. I couldn't even get the bottom rad hose in once the rad and engine were mounted, but you can't see it anyway, so I gave up and left it out ;) 

Ian

Nice choice of subject, I'm partial to a classic American muscle car.  The bodywork has turned out nicely and the engine is looking good too.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Well that's been a challenging couple of hours 🙄

Got the decals on the body, easy. Got the rear window in, easy.

Front screen was a different matter, no real land to fit it, gaps in places then it slipped and ended up with CA on it 🥵

Finally got it in place and filled gaps with PVA and is now drying, managed to polish out most of it, but it still shows, will try again tomorrow, but wine for now to calm down 🍷🍷;)

If the 2 screens hadn't been on the same sprue I'd have said they were from different kits.........thought this hobby was supposed to be relaxing 🤣🤣

• Like 1

Well, I'm calling this one done as far as I'm concerned 

I know modelling is a challenge some times and we are all used to the Tamiya location points etc. but during the final assembly of this

it nearly got launched through the open french doors a couple of times 😒

The front screen was a challenge as it was just about the same size as the hole, which ended up with CA on the glass

The body sat too far forward and too low on the chassis which meant cutting away a lot of the bulkhead and making up the height with blutac and gluing little bits at a time until it was attached/

Then putting in the headlights, one of the lenses snapped in half 🥵

I'm not putting anymore effort into the chrome strips around the bodyline and doors as I'll probably cock that up as well

Just a quick piccy then I'll dust and polish it and take some pics outside

20200626_192105_resized

• Like 2