"Night Witches" 46th Tamansky GvNBAP Polikarpov Po-2 1/72

Obviously no military unit has really "made it" until they're in a Sabaton song... So imagine my delight when I found that ICM made a kit of the Po-2 biplane they flew? I wanted to make another biplane after all the stress fun I had with rigging the Hawker Fury...

It's brush painted with Humbrol enamels, finished with gloss cote before and after decals and matt cote after weathering. The rigging is Uschi... That was probably the hardest part, with all the control cables being external! I must be a glutton for punishment... But I think it's come out OK. The cockpit was also hideously fiddly, as was the engine. The engine at least is on display though: most of my hard work (and fiddling to make it all fit!) in the cockpit is hidden.

I suppose I've got the make the planes of the other Soviet female aviation regiments now, don't I?

GTw_hnewhVjwOdPRyViKoTKwTs0IK-B8Ym2HlZpEAyBdRFCeYyg5wQzZ4hX1wsl7BwSxTmpK_fa1lX9b2bbJXEyN4P7iHtS-7qLLLIFmil9t9fAY-Cgpil95Izd35UYPeBdEUcaeSukRD1EaX3VQib9BikQR56Y6DwGJTUv8rb2dCeZ26ONsZ_32Ywmm0o4bcFwJyYegvXmuiaYCHbXIIAQ8PA5tnlXAQPKXN0Ov3-xkyQ0el4vm-L5hnxgYyCVNhQnWai0eXlxkIj3YcWunGmuX-kNM9Px9v45gPQgMWswVYDPBMyKm0TQZsfJiZt8-

• Like 26

It's obvious a lot of work went into this one. Very nicely done. The rigging would have been impossible for me. I struggle with painting seat straps in 1/72 scale!

Yes!! So good! Really well done on this one. I just built the 1/48 ICM Po-2 myself, and I have a Yak-1 (Accurate Miniatures) in my stash I'll be making from the 586th. One of my favourite parts of model building is learning all the history behind the aircraft, in this case the Night Witches but also all the hard work by Marina Raskova. Looking forward to your next work!

Nicely done.  You have represented it well.

I built this same kit about a year or so ago.  It was an excellent kit and very satisfying.  

I agree with the 'gloss coat' comment.  These aircraft were flown a lot and would have never been that shiny.  I would have used 'satin'. 

What diameter is your rigging?  It seems a bit thin for 1/72nd.  It could also just be the light!

Hi, it's the 0.03 rigging. Maybe it would have looked better with the next size up for the rigging and the fine stuff for the control wires, but that's the only size I have.

Regarding the gloss, I usually use a coat of gloss before and after the decals, then tone it down with matt as the final layer after weathering. I dilute all of these 50:50. Should I add another layer of matt to tone it down further? What methods do you use for this?

15 hours ago, Jeff G said:

Yes!! So good! Really well done on this one. I just built the 1/48 ICM Po-2 myself, and I have a Yak-1 (Accurate Miniatures) in my stash I'll be making from the 586th. One of my favourite parts of model building is learning all the history behind the aircraft, in this case the Night Witches but also all the hard work by Marina Raskova. Looking forward to your next work!

Where did you get decals for the 586th? It seems there used to be some from balkan models but they don't seem to be available any more.

8 hours ago, Aces High said:

Where did you get decals for the 586th? It seems there used to be some from balkan models but they don't seem to be available any more.

The Accurate Miniatures kit I have is the Yak-1 flown by Lilya Litvyak, the first/most succesful female flying ace who flew in that squadron briefly. The only decals in that kit are for her Yellow-44 aircraft. My other option is using some of the decals left over from my ICM Po-2, it came with a White-23 which was also flown by Lilya, so I lucked out there. Sorry I couldn't provide a better source!

20 hours ago, Aces High said:

Regarding the gloss, I usually use a coat of gloss before and after the decals, then tone it down with matt as the final layer after weathering. I dilute all of these 50:50. Should I add another layer of matt to tone it down further? What methods do you use for this?

What did you apply varnish? Did you use a brush too?

9 hours ago, Jeff G said:

The Accurate Miniatures kit I have is the Yak-1 flown by Lilya Litvyak, the first/most succesful female flying ace who flew in that squadron briefly. The only decals in that kit are for her Yellow-44 aircraft. My other option is using some of the decals left over from my ICM Po-2, it came with a White-23 which was also flown by Lilya, so I lucked out there. Sorry I couldn't provide a better source!

Ah, 1:48th... I'm trying to resist making anything bigger, running out of space!

5 hours ago, Moses said:

What did you apply varnish? Did you use a brush too?

I brush it on! Only way I've got!