Airfix - The Thunderstreak

Like many on this forum I remember the excitement of queueing up at age of six for the Cinema (Gants Hill Odeon I think) to see Battle of Britain with my Dad.  And again a few weeks later to see it again.  At the time the main thing my friends and I remembered was the endless parade of German bombers at the start proving “we” didn’t have a cat in hell’s chance; and the bomber crew’s goggles filling up with blood when attacked!  Gruesome, but that’s a six-year old for you.  That must have been the time the Airfixing started, initially with Dad but quickly progressing to my own work and painting.

Around a year or two later Dad gave me a big pile of aeroplane books.  They were a present from an older couple, friends of his who’s son had died in tragic circumstances.  He was only around twenty and they wanted me to have the books he’d loved when he was growing up.  Wow, I’m getting weepy typing this; the perspective of being a father of a now 20-year old myself.

I’ve always been grateful for the gift of those books, which nurtured an interest in aviation and history that has stayed with me.  As well as the tiny William Green “Warplanes of the Second World War” 1-6 there was the World Airpower Guide with scale elevations of all the current types in service around the world, from the “Mig-23” to archaic Buchons and Moths.  My favourites were two big pictorial books by Martin Caidin, “Air Force” and “Golden Wings”.

I still have the books though I’ve managed to get replacements for them all as they had become extremely “tired” after nearly 50 years of use and moving.  I even managed to get volumes 7-10 of the Warplanes to complete the series, but don’t bother.  They were issued 6 or so years after 1-6 and the four volumes only cover France and Germany – Green “went off on one” and just went into far too much detail; precursors of his later massive German tome, whereas the earlier books give a nice brief precis of lots of types.

As a result of those Caidin books, I ended up being as interested in the planes of the USAF, USN and USMC as in Britain’s. Not that I’m averse to a Spitfire as my stash would confirm, but a nice Fifi, Panther or Corsair is equally if not more attractive to me.

I hunted through my stash to find something that matched the kits I built back in the day (I have a list of what I built then which I try and update each time I remember one  - 132 remembered to date, I’m sure there should be a lot more.  Here’s an extract; needless to say the full list shows 90 of the entries were Airfix, most must have been from the local newsagent in the parade up from Grange Hill station).

kit list - extract

The P-38 with its twin sharkmouths and Roy Cross boxing was shouting “build me”, but last year I picked up a Thunderstreak, which I remember building around the same time as the Sabre Dog and Shooting Star in some keenness on 50s jets (I recall a bunch of Hasegawa kits bought at the Model Engineer Exhibition too) but Meteors and Hunters, no thank you.  I can’t recall much of the F-84 I built back then, other than that the red paint reacted with the overall silver paint job, and I’m sure I did an open canopy as it was a separate part for once!

49867493126_4b3b13c7a8_b.jpg 49867493186_a9e72533af_b.jpg

Anyway here’s the box with its lovely hard silver plastic just as I remember.  I’m not sure I’ll get going on it just yet as there’s the Mark.VIII to decal in the Spitfire STGB and an L139 I should complete from Christmas 2018.  Oh for the days when there was nothing else to do at a weekend than build models…wait a moment…

Cheers

Will

Edited by malpaso
To make the pictures show!
  • Like 19

Welcome to the GB Will, and with an excellent choice.

I remember well building one of these from the same boxing and being impressed with it at the time, as you say it came with an open canopy option! I don't remember any major build issues with it but that might be the fog of time so I'm very interested to see how your build goes.

• Like 1

Nice choice. Another one of those planes that look like one you might have drawn as a kid, the lines flow so well.

Your problems with covering silver paint took me right back. I always tried to cover with one pass of the paintbrush. I stress the'tried' part of that as I rarely managed. The results were not pretty.

• Like 1

Great choice! I built this back in 1985, and again a few years ago. I have another in the stash, and had it in the "possible" list for this build. But I already have more than enough to chose from.

• Like 1

Good to see this one Will,I built one a few months back picked up for pennies off e-bay no decals so played what if with it.

• Like 1

Hi Will,

Sitting a couple of feet in front of me in a box is the one I built when it came out - it is in bits now as I was intending to refurbish it, then I got started on GB and have not had thr time. It is a nice looking plane and not a bad kit as I recall.

Cheers

Pete

• Like 1

Silver and red,  that's my abiding memory as well. 

This was a very impressive kit when it came out.  In the 1980s Microscale came out with a series of decal sheets covering the type including fully striped French Suez examples. They looked particularly good. 

John 

• Like 2

Hi all, started putting some assemblies together ready for some paint.  I’ve used some filler, but only small amounts.  I’ll make up some tape harness for the seat and dots of paint for gauges.

49887650543_8aa54a0b68_b.jpg

I’ll probably shut the canopy as it’ll be somewhat “impressionistic “ in the cockpit.  I found there’s plenty of space for weighting to avoid a tail sitter.

Cheers

Will

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Here’s the tanks built; one filled and the other filled and rubbed down. Worst bit was a sink mark between the fins.

49925885296_f1f0a6cd99_b.jpg

I’ve made up some harness from 1mm not-Tamiya tape and a fantasy layout of gauges using daughters nail art acrylic and dotting tools.  They work really well for applying small circles of paint.

49930489721_517a8bb896_b.jpg

All ready to put the airframe together now.

Cheers

Will

• Like 4

Fuselage put together and canopy masked.  

49931018623_2a702ae39a_b.jpg

just trying to tidy up the centreline seam, as it will show on a BMF job.

Cheers

Will

• Like 5

All primed now.  

49934082408_8e59f6439b_b.jpg

it was really hard to see flaws in the silver plastic.  Joins meld with a black line that’s hard to tell from a fine gap.  So after the primer I can see there’s just a couple of tidies  needed on the fuselage and the sides of the big tanks.
  In the spirit of the GB I am filling with Squadron Green Stuff.  I first tried it on models in my teens, before that it was polyfilla.  It’s not still the same tube though that did last 25+ years!  The new one isn’t quite as good, seems to dry out on the model quicker.

Cheers

Will

• Like 6

“Paint it Black” - M.Jagger

49937449423_69ef0e9465_b.jpg

A few defects need smoothing before glossing ready to spray aluminium.  It’s Vallejo black PU primer, which was cheap (free) but you get what you pay for and it blurts and has a few lumps...

Cheers

Will

• Like 8

Airframe now painted up in three colours of Vallejo Metal Color - semi-Matt, Dull, and Dark Aluminiums.  The latter with some smoke stripes for heated rear fuselage - adds interest even if I’m not sure accurate for F-84Fs.  

49955826157_ee2f62fec5_b.jpg

The only disadvantage of this Vallejo Metal Color is that the metal component is extremely fine so I’m now off for a major strip and ultra-super-clean of the airbrush! 🧐

Cheers

Will

• Like 5

Painted up the coloured areas, quite pleased with how it’s come out.

49957235007_2ae7239a20_b.jpg

At least the paint dries faster than the gloss enamels I used back in the day.
Cheers

Will

• Like 6

I forgot to mention earlier that, in the true spirit of “ a kit you built as a kid”, the brush rolled off the desk and splodged gloss red paint on my best shorts.  My wife was more understanding than my mother was on such occasions!

Edited by malpaso
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5