Empire Class flying boats

Believe it or not, I found this while looking for photos of A.W. Whitleys with Kilfrost de-icing paste! I don't have any use for this, but remembered some of you were either contemplating building one or were converting a Sunderland into one, IIRC. It is a very detailed technical description of all systems, some diagrams, and a list of the civil registrations carried by the class. I hope somebody can use this information. It does make for very interesting reading!

Mike

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.463.3896&rep=rep1&type=pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Many thanks for your care (as I am one who is doing now Empire), however I've bumped on this already too :). This a great source indeed. There is also description of faith of machines during WWII and this is how I googled it. I've found it when I was searching for description of circumstances how two Empires were used and lost in Norway 1940 campaign.

Regards

J-W

Edited by JWM

Many, many thanks, Mike! Brian was the source and fountainhead of knowledge on the Empire boats, and it's good to see that so much of his work has survived. A lot of what's there ended up in the Haynes guide, but much of it didn't - it's good to see that it's still available. I don't know whether Brian ever published that text - if so it was a private job and didn't get much circulation.

1 hour ago, Admiral Puff said:

I don't know whether Brian ever published that text - if so it was a private job and didn't get much circulation.

Yes he did; I have an autographed copy of his book from 2005, which he sold from a website along with his accompanying drawing.