Grumman A-6A intruder // VMA(AW)-533 Hawks // Fujimi 1/72

Continues the theme of classic machines in Gray over White camouflage. This time my next favorite machine from the turn of the 60s and 70s - A-6A Intruder. This time in Fujimi release. The machine will be in the colors of the VMA (AW) -533 Hawks squadron, stationed in 1969 at the Chu Lai base.

49867535111_b4e6e1dbca_b.jpg

49866998743_27f09825bd_b.jpg

• Like 5

I’ll take a look! An Intruder is one of my favourite naval planes and I’ve never built any Fujimi kits, unfortunately... The cockpit tub looks very detailed along with the crew. 👍

Slowly continues work on the cockpit and parts that will be placed in the hull. Unfortunately, the set disappointed me a bit. Fujimi was easy and their A-6A is really a set showing the A-6E but the decal for version A. As far as the hull is not a problem, because there the differences are not great and easy to correct, the problem begins in cockpit. The instrument panel is for modification, one of the TV sight system displays should be removed from the TRAM version. In addition, the set includes bad eJECTION SEATS. The GRU-7 set must be replaced with the GRU-5. I traced the Koramodels resin seats in the Czech Republic, but when they reach us because of the pandemic, I don't know.

49894778488_9330e531dc_b.jpg

49895293056_62ac510304_b.jpg

49895292831_05174bf46e_b.jpg

49894778113_f8acf99606_b.jpg

49895292706_d9263d0f29_b.jpg

Edited by Moses
  • Like 2

Obscureco or makes a resin Update kit for the A-6B “Ironhand” mod. It has the updated IP, a replacement console for the B/N (removes the radar joy stick) and a resin nose with the receiver buttons, etc. only problem is, the nose is much too narrow; would require a lot of filler to blend in. I have modified the kit nose to add the buttons using plastic rod. 

Edited by Bejay53

Weekend struggles over the Intruder ended with the installation of wings and stabilizatora to the fuselage. Fitting is quite ok. Interestingly on the left when connecting the fuselage that the wing got a step, something probably engineers with Fujimi badly designed because the wing was glued correctly.

In addition, I added a small detail to the instrument panel cover.

49933086571_b66d12c37d_b.jpg

49932576368_aa6bb29a29_b.jpg

• Like 2

Did you have an issue with the RIGHT wing going together? I am working this kit now. When I put the wings together, the RIGHT wing was somewhat thicker than the right. I removed the slat tracks, so when I line up the slat with the top, the bottom of the wing sits proud of the slat.

it looks like the wing has a spacer/gap on the front edge. it is not there on the left. I don’t remember seeing anything there. It definitely doesn’t match the left wing.

Looks like I will end up with a small shim. 

just completely read your comments looks like the left wing has other issues as well.

I was looking at the wings from a different direction!

Edited by Bejay53

Moses, you are a wizzard (man with pointy hart who can perform miricales). The old Fujimi kit is not the best around but I think you are making the best of it...

Colin

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/05/2020 at 15:18, Bejay53 said:

Did you have an issue with the RIGHT wing going together? I am working this kit now. When I put the wings together, the RIGHT wing was somewhat thicker than the right. I removed the slat tracks, so when I line up the slat with the top, the bottom of the wing sits proud of the slat.

it looks like the wing has a spacer/gap on the front edge. it is not there on the left. I don’t remember seeing anything there. It definitely doesn’t match the left wing.

Looks like I will end up with a small shim. 

just completely read your comments looks like the left wing has other issues as well.

I was looking at the wings from a different direction!

Yes, of course it is about the right wing, yes, there is a problem there, unfortunately I noticed it after gluing and unfortunately I had to grind. Interestingly, there are no gaps anywhere.

Returning to the intruder. Recently, little time for gluing, and nothing interesting is happening. I finished the dashboard in the cockpit and I made Lansing gears. The canopy has already placed, and now I preparation for painting, i.e. correcting deficiencies.

49970044762_3e3f56998e_b.jpg

49969266808_e73b54b656_b.jpg

49969266868_de79f6dc0f_b.jpg

• Like 2