Having problems with compressor

RobL

Hey all

Not sure if this is the right sub-forum, so apologies in advance.

With the warmer weather coming I'm getting a little worried about my airbrush compressor.  It's one of those KMS AS-186 airbrush compressors with a tank.  I've had it since about 2015/16.

It has had for a while now (read at least a year) a habit of running every few minutes.  It also gradually heats up on the main body, and can during longer periods of airbrushing (lets say over an hour or two) get very hot to the touch, sometimes as hot as a freshly boiled cup of coffee.  If I leave it a while the air pressure goes down to 0.

I've noticed newer variations of the AS-186 compressor have a fan on one end, or at least a piece of plastic with open slots in it.  Mine doesn't.  It just has 2 metal plates either end with what seems to be a card layer between them and the main body.

I've tried the washing up liquid trick to see if I can spot any leaks.  And I cannot see any leak.  Although there must be one somewhere.

I also empty the tank frequently.

To mitigate the heat at least would I be doing anything wrong (i.e. making the compressor unsuable) by taking one of the end plates off (and the cardboard piece) and putting a PC fan in it's place?  Is there anything else I could do (besides buying a new compressor)?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by RobL

Rob,

I'm not familiar with the type/model of compressor you're talking about. 

What type is the motor, piston or fridge compressor? What capacitance is the tank? It is obvious that the issue has to do with an air leak, if you say that pressure goes down when you leave it for a while. That's why the "motor" gets hot; it always needs to kick up in order to maintain pressure level.

I'd check the drain valve in the tank because that is the most culprit for air loss.

Could you post a piccy of yer compressor?

Cheers,

Unc2

Rob, somehow I'm unable to see the piccy on your post, not even when launching a new tab from the link.

If anyone is able to see Rob's piccy, could you copy it and uploaded elsewhere in order to be posted on here, please?

Thanks a lot.

Cheers,

Unc2

I can see it.  So no idea why no-one else can.

Google has tons, just ignore the one's with the vented/fan ends as they're not the one I have.  https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=as186+compressor&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj4t4nH76bpAhXjTRUIHdCCDvoQ_AUoAnoECAsQBA&biw=1920&bih=966

Try this also -

unnamed.jpg

You could submerge the entire bottom part in water to check for leaks (tank only, don't flood the motor).

Also check the hose. A friend has the same model and it kept losing pressure. After quite a lot of fiddling he found the problem to be at the airbrush hose, not the compressor itself.