Some serious Sopwith action: a Snipe, a Camel , a Dolphin ( now part of the Canadian GB) and a Swallow ( now finished) a

49867211686_b93b621925_c.jpg

49866675638_6a738aa0f2_c.jpg

49867520617_f0142bc4a7_c.jpg
Since I’ve been told to self isolate while I wait for test results :) I’m not likely to get anywhere near the bench for a week or two , so on my way to my bedroom I snagged these three kits from my stash. I’ll cleanup the various bits ahead of time so when I can get back to the bench they’ll be ready for a serious assembly session. 

I already have a Pup and a Snark built and a triplane well advanced so will end up with a fairly comprehensive Sopwith fighter collection.

Kit quality varies. The Dolphin is beautiful and comes with a PE fret for the fine detailing, which I’ll copy in 10 thou card as much as possible for the other two. I don’t have the premium edition which has an engine and metal exhausts but still a great kit.

The Camel sits squarely in the middle, no PE but finely molded and a nice decal sheet.

The Snipe is a short run kit and has some lovely white metal parts for the interior and the engine, which will probably be copied for the other two. The moldings while looking fairly accurate are the flashiest things I’ve ever seen and need a lot of cleaning up, but there’s a pretty good model in there trying to get out.

As for colour schemes the Dolphin will probably be one of the kit schemes. Likewise the Camel.

Still undecided on the Snipe no PC10 but I might opt for a PC12 scheme, I’m also toying with an all silver one or an interesting Russian scheme with black stars but I’m not sure of the accuracy of that one.

Retrospectively decided to add a scratch built Swallow as the three kits have yielded a rudder, some wheels, an upper deck and a Cowl, most if the tricky parts to scratchbuild and I’ve been threatening to do one for ages along with a Salamander ( hmm will leave that one for later) There’s also a 1 1/2 strutter and two mr craft Camels ( bought as parts donors) in the stash, but again another build.

Might be a slow thread but for the moment will be all I’m working on. 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 10

1 minute ago, Ted said:

Looking forward to the comparison. Is the Revell kit reboxed Eduard sprues?

Hmm not sure Scalemates looks as if it is a fairly old Revell mold. But the quality is good and it looks very modern to me. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if it were an Eduards kit.

49878446528_5e1bf49e5b_c.jpg

49879288142_7f1088d043_c.jpg
I now have three bags of finely fettled bits and a good contribution to the spares box, there’s also a Snipe rudder and fin. Between the wing the cowl, upper decking and wheels I’m a fair way towards a swallow with that lot, hmm.

Oh and in a more serious tone I got my test results and I’m clear of COVID yay. So should be once I’m over this bug I should be able to get back to the bench. Next step for these lads is interior painting ( and maybe seeing how easily I can copy the camel fuselage for that swallow hmmm)

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 4

Thank you Dennis. It is a relief to know I’m clear. But conversely a pain to be back to eternal vigilance mode..

But back to modelling. I’ve been looking at the Swallow wing and it has a noticeable sweep with the ribs running parallel to the fuselage centreline, so converting  the Camel wing looks like more work than scratching a new one, but the other spares box bits still make a swallow comparatively easy so once I get some drawings ( I think I have a set in one of my reference books) I’ll make this a four way build. I may even have some failed pup parts in the scrap box that could be cajoled into a fuselage or at very least a fuselage block that can be used to scratch a camel one.

Edited by Marklo

Just found this thread, glad your test results came back negative. Looking forward to seeing these come together, especially the CSM kit. 

Wishing you a speedy recovery from whatever bug it is that you have picked up.

• Thanks 1

49882445416_1f16e2d8f8_c.jpg

49881947688_b25ef98c92_c.jpg
Found my swallow plans and did a rough working drawing for the wings. As  the rest of the plane is constructed from Camel parts I’ll just copy other things from the Revell kit.

• Like 1

At the moment I'm rigging my CSM Premium Dolphin, a great kit but with some flaws. With references those can be fixed easily.

Hope to have it in the "Ready for Inspection" section soon. It will be my 4th Sopwith in 1/48.

Build report is on Scalemates and WW1Aircraftmodels.com forum.

Looks like you cut the sprue between the upper wing halves already. I kept it until mounting, but managed to brake the middle frame :(

Good luck

Frank

3 hours ago, Bughunter said:

Looks like you cut the sprue between the upper wing halves already. I kept it until mounting, but managed to brake the middle frame

I debated over cutting out the upper wing but I pretty much resolved to replace it with brass rod if it breaks.

I must check out your build. I love the Dolphin the only thing I don’t like is the lack of variety in the colour schemes, which seem to only differ in unit markings. 

3 hours ago, Bughunter said:

At the moment I'm rigging my CSM Premium Dolphin, a great kit but with some flaws

Do tell. I see in the reviews some criticism on the omission of Lewis guns, but afaik these were removed in service a lot of the time and I have many in the spares box. Anything serious to correct? I tend to be very trusting of kit manufacturers, but conversely picky when I’m scratchbuilding.

Edited by Marklo

A full build log is here. It mention all things I changed, e.g. strut positions, location of control horns and lacing on fuselage. Same pictures as on scalemates, but more explanation.

And a lot of scratch building with wooden struts, brass parts, metal gear, opened wing inspection windows ...

https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=9968.0

Yep, the Lewis depends on the specific aircraft.

Cheers,

Frank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good luck on all your builds, and happy to hear you don't have that bloody virus! The Swallow looks interesting - I did not know there was a parasol monoplane development of the Camel. Your title line somehow reminds me of the setup of a joke: 'A Snipe, a Dolphin, a Camel, and a Swallow [all walk into a bar...]'.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

hi @Marklo great to hear your feeling better and clear of the COVID

I built the revel Camel earlier this year. Fiddly but enjoyable non the less.

looking forward to seeing your progress with the same kit. :)

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Learstang said:

'A Snipe, a Dolphin, a Camel, and a Swallow [all walk into a bar...]'.

Funnily I keep think the same :) 

@Bughunter started reading through your build log . To Quote Oscar Wilde talent borrows genius steals, I’ll see which one I end up with :) will definitely copy the seatbelts. I think I’ll check the spares box for alternative Vickers’s (Gaspatch are a bit too rich for me at the moment) and will have to drill out those exhaust pipes. Having trouble loading up the next set of images but so far more than enough for me to be getting in with.

Actually I’m not too worried about the Camel but all the PE on the Dolphin looks as if it’s going to be extremely fiddly.

As for progress. I’ve done all the drilling on the Snipe, rigging, control wires, strut ends. I still need to fabricate two more interplane struts ( I’m using shaved cocktail sticks which are light and strong and perfect for this scale)

Camel drilling next and maybe those exhausts.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

49885561243_5a7b62250e_c.jpg
On the subject of borrowing, I made this, a fairly reasonable version of the leather part of the seatbelt, just needs some cleanup with a sharp blade, oh and to make three more. Definitely a candidate for molding once I find the sculpey.

I have now made five ( one for the triplane). A sharp drill bit a pencil and some patience being all that’s required. Still can’t find that sculpey...

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

49892871833_4d8c858fc5_c.jpg
Tipping away. The Snipe comes with a length of aero foil strut but it’s not nearly enough for all the struts, so I’ve fabricated the remainder from shaved cocktail sticks. I’ve also drilled all the ends and inserted .5mm brass pins ( something I promised I’d do in future after all the fiddling on the Wight and the Snark)

I’ve also done some assembly on the Bentley. I spent a bit of time watching mold making videos yesterday and came across some interesting videos using silicone sealant as molding material, so I’m going to try taking a mold from the Bentley before adding the con rods and painting it.

Ive also attached the rigging wires on the underside of the upper wing on the Camel. I’m going to use a slightly different method on this one. I’m still using the through hole blind hole method but I’m using a fine elastic thread instead of my beadalon should be easier to get good tension. I have some EZ line which I may use on the Snipe and I have some mig line in the post, maybe for the Dolphin. Somewhere along the way I’ll come up with a preferred method. I’ve also ordered some Albion alloys .7mm tube so I may even revert to eyelets and turnbuckles. Hmm 

Edited by Marklo

• 2 weeks later...