Fujimi BMW M635CSi RFI

My Fujimi M635CSi is ready for a barrage of criticism and rotten fruit. Build thread here:

It's a bit of a project car, this one, so, let's push it into the workshop and get it up in the air to see what we're dealing with...

spacer.png

It doesn't look too bad from up here, lying on the roof and staring down through the skylight (old habits die hard). It a British registered car but left hand drive as it's a Swiss import. On the plus side it's in desirable Henna Red with a full body kit, steel sunroof and a tan interior, but is it worth saving? Well, the interior's been stripped out and the floors aren't bad but there are many other grot traps to consider. There is some evidence of filler in the rear quarter but it's the nose and front inner arches that have a real reputation for harbouring the corrosion.

spacer.png

Bonnet off first, and then the wing...

spacer.png

spacer.png

Erm... that doesn't look good. A few pokes with the screwdriver will have that through. Not any easy repair either, as it looks to have spread all along the rifle panel.

spacer.png

What about the other side? As it seems to have rotated of it's own free will, just look at that eighties-tastic body kit. The boot lid springs are worn out though so I'm having to use one of those extendable panel props to hold it up. On a positive note there are a couple of boxes of spares in the boot along with an old blanket, the latter not to be used for structural repairs.  

spacer.png

spacer.png

If I stand on this extremely long ladder (my preferred thinking place) and consider it as a whole, I'd say it's well worth spending a bit of time and money doing it up. It can join the other old BMW projects. An M635CSi is quite a rare bird these days and it'd be worth a bit in mint condition.   

spacer.png

That's me decided then, I'll get stuck in. Fire up the welder... assuming I can chase round with the grinder and find anything left to weld to...

spacer.png

Anteater out.

• Like 21

There is nothing there that a few weeks of hard work can't make perfect. I've seen and done up much worse in my automotive life 😎

Very well done, it's a lovely finished model. of a great looking car. 👍

• Like 1

Great idea, really well executed!  If only someone did a Mini Clubman kit I have the perfect reference subject sitting in the garage - looks very much like your Beemer...!!

Cracking job!

Keith

• Haha 1

On 5/7/2020 at 6:46 PM, Bengalensis said:

I've seen and done up much worse in my automotive life

I concur, if that came to me I would consider it a 'minter'! 

Beautiful job on this, although it is making me think of going back to work (potentially) next week 😧 it gives me fond memories of a 'quick fill in job' we did a couple of years ago on a bmw 2002, I had to make door skins, sills repair the boot lid etc, come out nice though! 

Are you going to make any more workshop based dioramas? I love the idea of it, it really brings the kit to life!

Andy.

P.s. this is what I have waiting for me when I'm back to work 

https://www.classicandsportscar.com/news/dictators-rare-alfa-set-epic-restoration 

6c

That's all I'm probably aloud to show, I have to do the whole car chassis up... from scratch 🥵 

Edited by ElectricLightAndy
  • Like 3

Wow, that Alfa is quite a thing. You obviously know what you're doing. Nice to see the C&SC article written by a good friend of mine :)

I've built a few garage dioramas, you'll find more if you look for Previous Anteater Builds in the RFI section, if you get that bored.

I know from experience there is no such thing as a "quick fill in job" on a 2002. I knew my 1:1 scale example was a bit rough when I bought it but it turned out to monumentally appalling. It's all good now but I have vowed NEVER to add the bills up!

• Like 2

Exactly there are no quick jobs in restoration,  when done right, the 2002 job was a bigger job than the management thought (duh) but it was enjoyable :) btw this alfa is being filmed for Netflix so keep your eyes peeled in like 5 years or something lol, I'll be the angry (devilishly handsome) swearing metalworker! 

I will look  at your other builds right now :)

Andy.

18 minutes ago, Anteater said:

NEVER to add the bills up

Wise 😐 it's cool you know the writer of the article too!

Edited by ElectricLightAndy
  • Like 1

Nice work!  The BMW 6-series is a favourite of mine.  Back in the day I made the Tamiya kits (the road version and the Group A racing car).  I don't think I'd ever attempt anything like your creative weathering and cutting for that garage scene.