1/72 USS Ranger CV-61

Before you think, how big will that be, no I don’t want to build the entire ship :)  The plans are in the making to build an intersection of the main deck, gallery deck and flight deck. Specific the erea around elevator no. 4./hangar bay no. 3 and the jetshop.I have a few planes ready to be build, so all together it still will be enormous. The Ranger will be scratched and I am currently making all the scale drawings. I am using the plans from de USS Saratoga as a reference. When there is some more progress I will update this thread.  It will be around period 1970-1972. 

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Construction has started. I started making scale drawings 1:72. Reference point I had were the dimensions between main deck and flight deck. Based on the drawings of the USS Saratoga I was able to work out the whole. I chose to take the start of hangar no. 3, the cross-section thus ends up at the part where the planes land. I post some pictures soon. 

Hello Bas,

Interesting subject and scale.

I will surely follow your progress.

Good luck and keep us, if possible, posted.

Regards, Orion

The Netherlands.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The saga continues. I have start to detail the roof of the hangardeck. Also the basic shape of the flightdeck is done. 

dcfP765.jpg

vO5xHEV.jpg

i4InUS9.jpg

vhnC3RZ.jpg

F5stBFv.jpg

r36dltk.jpg

UxKDjQq.jpg

I have also ordered some more pe and vehicles:

- Brengun PE tie downs for the hangardeck and flightdeck. About 1200 pieces so that should be enough

- Fujimi flight deck crew with the MD-3 mule. The mule will be super detailed and corrected according the plans and photos I have found on the net.

- Verlinden tow bars 

- Verlinden fire engine 

Edited by Bas Hermsen
  • Like 7

Another interesting project to follow and a different way of displaying naval aircraft in action, although with superdetailed 1/350th and 1/200th scale aircraft carrier builds by @Ex-FAAWAFU and  @Iceman 29 already in process I do wonder at what scale it's going to stop.

I'm also surprised no one else has commented on how tidy and well organised your workspace looks sir !

On 5/7/2020 at 1:27 PM, Bas Hermsen said:

Before you think, how big will that be, no I don’t want to build the entire ship :)  

Famous last words :)

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...