In between build - Modern Classic Airfix 1/72 Provost

Just to keep my momentum going with other builds I thought I'd start the modern classic Airfix 1/72 Jet Provost.

Another reason to do it was to continue an emerging theme with my builds as I had built the Fouga Magister & the Vampire.

Built mostly out of the box, but just added a few lumps of plastic for the air intakes on the top fuselage panels & added some bristles for the antennas that protrude from the bottom of the wings. Would like to know what they were actually for?

Painted with Hataka for the light grey & used Revell acrylic for the flourescent markings on the wings. The flourescent decals are horrendously thick & unwilling to conform to the leading edge.

I was using the extra strong Daco decal fluids & when that didn't work I tried adding X20 to the decal fluid & even that wouldn't soften the decals. So I masked & sprayed them, completed the model then returned to another build. Only looking through my decal bank & found an extradecal sheet with those flourescent markings which I'm sure would have worked fine. Excuse to use them on another one another time!

49850761793_d0bba149dd_b.jpgAirfix 1/72 Hunting:Percival Jet Provost T.3 XM413 by Martin Laurance, on Flickr

49850761738_dab5a40da3_b.jpgAirfix 1/72 Hunting:Percival Jet Provost T.3 XM413 by Martin Laurance, on Flickr

49850761643_eb3b95642d_b.jpgAirfix 1/72 Hunting/Percival Jet Provost T.3 XM413 by Martin Laurance, on Flickr

And here's the collection of trainers so far!

49866317831_8d1e845575_b.jpgEuropean Jet Trainers by Martin Laurance, on Flickr

Thanks for looking.

Martin

• Like 42
  • Thanks 2

It looks wonderful,..... I`ve given up on mine due to those awful decals,........ totally wrecked the thing,..... one day I may sand them off and repaint it, but I just hate looking at the thing now!! 

Well done on a beautiful little JP,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

When you said 'Classic Airfix JP' I was expecting to see ye olde Airfix JP3. This one's turned out beautifully though. Your painted dayglo looks far better than the Airfix decal, which I think is too light and too orange. Very nice model

• Like 1

A delightful JP in my favorite trainer colour scheme. Well done on getting a fix for the dayglow orange stripes!

Martk

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, tonyot said:

It looks wonderful,..... I`ve given up on mine due to those awful decals,........ totally wrecked the thing,..... one day I may sand them off and repaint it, but I just hate looking at the thing now!! 

Well done on a beautiful little JP,

Cheers

Tony

:sad: That's sad Tony! The decals looked great on the sheet didn't they! Apart from that, the kit is really nice.

27 minutes ago, CT Modeller said:

When you said 'Classic Airfix JP' I was expecting to see ye olde Airfix JP3. This one's turned out beautifully though. Your painted dayglo looks far better than the Airfix decal, which I think is too light and too orange. Very nice model

Haha, yes a "Modern Airfix Classic"!

Cheers mate!

That is a beautiful build. Those three birds look very good together! Any chance of seeing more photos of the Vampire and Magister? What silver did you use on the Vampire's nose. Looks very impressive.

Edited by Hobo
  • Like 1

I feel your pain having completed this kit myself....the decals are a 'challenge' shall we say. I used all sorts of setting solution over and over and much pressure with cotton buds until they finally settled (well sort of!) Your efforts have certainly paid off...i think i would have thrown the towel in had it come to a repaint! I have the Xtradecal dayglo sheet too but my sample looks a bit pale compared to the Airfix orange so may not have looked so bright. Your perserverence has certainly paid off here though with a fine looking JP👍👍

Edited by binbrook87
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Wulfman said:

Lovely build on the Trio, great modelling !  What’s next, how about a Delfin ?

Wulfman

Thanks Wulfman, funny that, I've got the AMK Delfin will more than likely do the Czech scheme 3244. Need another Aluminium scheme with a bit of colour to it, so not decided yet.

Plus doing that would add to the dozen odd kits I've got on the go!

Martin

1 hour ago, Hobo said:

That is a beautiful build. Those three birds look very good together! Any chance of seeing more photos of the Vampire and Magister? What silver did you use on the Vampire's nose. Looks very impressive.

Thanks Hobo, the silver was out of the bottle, Ammo Mig silver with bit of their Polished Metal masked over the nose panel.

49298721871_b70e373d33_z.jpgAirfix 1/72 Vampire Swiss Air Force T.55 MFS 88 Emmen 1990 Last Of The Vampires by Martin Laurance, on Flickr

49478989947_a94708e0a8_z.jpgFrench Air Force Fouga CM170 Magister by Martin Laurance, on Flickr

42 minutes ago, adey m said:

A beautiful collection of classic trainers.

regards, adey

Cheers mate!

Martin

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, binbrook87 said:

I feel your pain having completed this kit myself....the decals are a 'challenge' shall we say. I used all sorts of setting solution over and over and much pressure with cotton buds until they finally settled (well sort of!) Your efforts have certainly paid off...i think i would have thrown the towel in had it come to a repaint! I have the Xtradecal dayglo sheet too but my sample looks a bit pale compared to the Airfix orange so may not have looked so bright. Your perserverence has certainly paid off here though with a fine looking JP👍👍

Thanks mate! 👍

I'm sure the Xtradecal markings would have worked fine, had I remembered at the time that I had them!

5 hours ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

I love that very much,first airframe i ever worked on was a T11 Vampire,got a bit of a soft spot for Vampires.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eric Mc said:

Nice - but not what I was expecting.

Cheers, I've just retitled the post. It might have been more impressive if I had given the old kit a total makeover! But I believe someone else on these forums has done exactly & that build is impressive.

Martin

7 hours ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Cheers, I've just retitled the post. It might have been more impressive if I had given the old kit a total makeover! But I believe someone else on these forums has done exactly & that build is impressive.

Martin

If you had got that result from the old kit you would be a better man than I am, Gunga Din.

• Like 1

Great work, you have created a lovely JP.  The Kit is a lovely kit and goes together well.  I built the red, white and grey scheme and had no issues with the decals, but they were not stretching around leading edges etc like these ones. 

The three together look absolutely fantastic, you should be justifiably proud of your work.

All the best

Chris

• Like 1