KP 1/72 Letov S-328 Czechoslovak Air Force 1937

Good Morning,

As my fourth Covid 19 build I decided to add another model to my Josef Frantisek Collection in 1/72. Frantisek was one of the Battle of Britain heroes of 303 Polish Sqn, but few people actually know he was a Czech, he fled his home country when it was invaded by the Nazis in September 1938. He started his career with the Czech AF flying the Letov S-328 Reconnaissance/Bomber with the 5th Flight of the 2nd Air Regiment at Olomouc from August 1936 until February 1938. From here he was posted onto a fighter Sqn flying Avia B-534's I have two Eduard versions of that aircraft ready to go in the stash).

The kit was an early 1970's Soviet KP example. Very basic and covered in flash, but I think for a Tenner off Evilbay it was worth it. It actually went together reasonably well with a lot of extra detailing going into the cockpit and Gunner's position. It was painted using Tamiya XF acrylics a combination of Olive Drab and other greens until I was happy with the shade. Mounting the top wing was a bit tricky as was the stretched sprue rigging but saying I haven't built a biplane for 42 years I was quite pleased with the results. Thanks for looking.

spacer.png

About 34 the way through the build the decals went on reasonably well with Microsol and Microset even though they must be 50 years old!

spacer.png

I spent hours on the Internet looking at photos of the real thing and other folk's models but did not see any signs at all of safety straps for the Gunner, so I didn't install any.

spacer.png

Amazingly for the vintage of the kit, it came with clear wing tip and tail lights, an addition a few modern companies could do with taking on board.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Here she is after the final coat of Hataka Matt Varnish, I love this stuff it goes on lovely and doesn't kill the gloss completely if a light coat is applied.

spacer.png

Sometimes we have very little to go on regarding the subject of our models! However, it is on record that Frantisek actually flew airframe A8.

Thanks again

Ian

• Like 14

You did a great job on this old , and what to say, not the best kit.

I am sure that you know, that currently there is a much nicer SH kit of Letov. I quit with this old KP kit and I put mine into the drawer with spare parts, to be honest....

Regards

J-W

Absolutely brilliant result....  Love that, the prop is especially good, as is the cockpit....   Just done a KP  Avia  S-199 myself never came across this make back in the day, but although dated the surface detail is pretty good considering.   The decals not bad either especially considering its age...

That's absolutely lovely! My grandfather was from Olomouc, he escaped during the occupation and joined the Czech army in exile.

I'm making an S-328, the Special Hobby kit, but mine is the float plane version, just because I fancied making a float plane! I hope I can make it look half as good as you've made this. Can I ask how you painted the propeller? It looks just like wood, it's very effective.

Thanks for the nice comments guys, much appreciated. The prop was sprayed with Tamiya Buff then using a large bristled brush streaked with Tamiya Red/Brown to give a grain effect then gloss varnished.