JA-37 VIGGEN, Special Hobby 1/72.

Hi.

Due to the loss of a part of the model kit I was building, and I am waiting for the manufacturer to answer if they send it to me or not, I have started construction of this kit.

I am going to use the kit for the AJ, so I have to make some changes.

Andrés S.

49821253828_641057caaf_z.jpg

49821788716_487c32e554.jpg

49826393707_c8d16d5cc4_z.jpg

49826074646_9cabf1cfd9_z.jpg

49851159431_82c00c0320_z.jpg

49851159651_61364353a8_z.jpg

49850624893_1158907cdc_z.jpg

49851461572_4fe444228b_z.jpg

49851162561_1cc3280e8f_z.jpg

49862980668_b3a2c8b53d_w.jpg

49851165036_053c2277f2_z.jpg

49850629953_cd959276a2_z.jpg

49863822692_704a3c6bb4_c.jpg

49862980633_d6d287bb67_c.jpg

49862980618_f5e7ebedff_c.jpg

49862980808_b52f3aa98f.jpg

49863822632_2123875428.jpg

• Like 9

I keep doing little jobs. I like to have everything ready when it comes time to put each piece in its place.

As the kit I am using to build this VIGGEN is the AJ model, it does not include the Oerlikon ventral cannon. I bought a resin one from Maestro Model.

This piece is designed for the Heller kit (but the precision of fit for this kit is good) and it is clearly appreciated that it is made in a very artisan way, lacking the fine details of the pieces sold by other brands. The first thing I notice is that the support for the ventral tank is not aligned with the longitudinal axis of the barrel and sides of the gondola, which after placing in the place where it should be under the model, I check that the barrel and sides of the gondola are aligned correctly. So I have to replace the support and remake it with Evergreen.

49870705862_19d00c1254_o.jpg

I have replaced the barrel of the Maestro Model with a 0.8 mm aluminum tube cutting the bevel end.

49870325846_91efe0161a_z.jpg

The air intake (I suppose for cooling) I hollow it out with a milling machine and add a piece of stretched plastic.

49870325806_2d79b87b91_o.jpg

And for the same reason that the kit does not have a barrel, it does not have a piece to add to the fuselage, since the JA model was about 13 cm longer. With 1.5mm plastic sheet I solve the problem, although the distance is really 1.8 mm but I want to leave it like that for now.

49869792048_4fe57a5873_o.jpg

Andrés S.

• Like 4

• 4 months later...

Hi Paramedic.

Perhaps I expressed myself incorrectly. The part was not lost, or did not come in the kit by mistake.
The JA and the AJ are practically the same aircraft but not exactly the same, they have small differences and their kits of SH are different including or excluding the corresponding parts.
I want to make a JA but with the AJ kit, that's why I don't have the part corresponding to the lengthening of the fuselage and I had to do that lengthening with Evergreen.

I want to return to this model, I hope it will be soon.

Thanks for your words.

Andrés S.

• Like 1

Ah ok, I got you know I think. I have built a couple of the 1/48and thought I could help - until I realized it was the wrong scale.. Oops.

Oh yeah, I am aware of the Viggens, it is my main interest so I have a decent knowledge of the variants.. ;)

Interesting fact is, the JAs were slightly more knicked as well. Not noticeable in this scale but while lenghtening the fuselage, they also increased that "knick" if you know what I mean. Cannot remeber exactly why right now and I do not have that book handy (my father has it 520km away).. But just some fun facts.

Good luck with the rest of the build!

• Like 1

Very fine build.

I love this plane and build one
The Special Hobby kit is a fine kit with no major problem. A great advance from older Special Hobby kit.

What scheme did you choose for your kit ? I hope you choose the green/brown/black  scheme

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paramedic said:

Ah ok, I got you know I think. I have built a couple of the 1/48and thought I could help - until I realized it was the wrong scale.. Oops.

Oh yeah, I am aware of the Viggens, it is my main interest so I have a decent knowledge of the variants.. ;)

Interesting fact is, the JAs were slightly more knicked as well. Not noticeable in this scale but while lenghtening the fuselage, they also increased that "knick" if you know what I mean. Cannot remeber exactly why right now and I do not have that book handy (my father has it 520km away).. But just some fun facts.

Good luck with the rest of the build!

Any help is welcome. I did not really know the Viggen to the point of not knowing the differences between the JA and the AJ and that the SH kits were different from each other.

2 hours ago, Rémi said:

Very fine build.

I love this plane and build one
The Special Hobby kit is a fine kit with no major problem. A great advance from older Special Hobby kit.

What scheme did you choose for your kit ? I hope you choose the green/brown/black  scheme

Thanks.
Of course, I think it is not only prettier than the grey scheme but it is an iconic image of this aircraft.

Andrés S.

• Like 1

I will follow this.

I didn't recognise the 13 cm so I had a look in the Viggen book. The new engine in the JA 37 needed an extension of 7 cm but they tilted the forward par little downward so the total extension of the fuselage became 13 cm. So the insert were longer at the top.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Orso said:

I will follow this.

I didn't recognise the 13 cm so I had a look in the Viggen book. The new engine in the JA 37 needed an extension of 7 cm but they tilted the forward par little downward so the total extension of the fuselage became 13 cm. So the insert were longer at the top.

Hi Orso.

The kit has been planning the addition of the piece for lengthening. In the case of building the AJ version, which is the one in my kit, a small one-piece tab has to be removed from the top of the fuselage. As I want to do the JA I will have to use this piece without removing the tab. Although the Evergreen section is flat, any misalignment can be corrected with thin plastic sheets and matching the surface with putty. I don't think it's an insurmountable problem apparently.

Andrés S.

iirc the engine was 10cm longer and the extension 13cm.. Different numbers.. :) And I have seen different numbers in different books, lol.. I´ll check my stuff as well, again.

I think what the OP did looks good though, at that scale!

Edit: And according to the Swedish wiki-site for it the engine was nine centimetres longer, lol.. Ah well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deano353 said:

In have the 48th scale special hobby Viggen and it looks great how's the fit of the kit?

Well, you can see in some images that the fit in some points is not very good. Although I think it was more my fault than the kit's. I mean that if I had been more careful in joining the areas where I should have used putty I would not have done so much.

Andrés S.

• Like 2

Nice work so far Andres. I also have (or will have, next month) the Special Hobby 1/48 Sk.37/Sk.37E variant, so your build is very useful in terms of understanding Special Hobby's design approach moulding philosophy.

Regards

Derek

Edited by Derek Bradshaw
  • Like 1