F-15C in 1/48 Scale

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

This build was cursed. That is all.
Problems were mostly caused by my own clumsiness, not the GWH kit, which in terms of fit and surface detail is fantastic.

Dropped the model, breaking a stabiliser and meaning I had to redo the first camo colour during the large-scale masking work… then a gear leg snapped and I had to drill the stumps out and brass rod repair job the thing, the AK colours I used for the first time on this kit didn’t react well to Mr Leveling Thinner, separating during spraying so that each cup sprayed different shades which meant my usual shading technique was impossible. The GWH Decals are almost completely useless due to being extremely thick and with a matt finish that makes them almost impossible to blend into paintwork, even with Agama Hypersol. As a result, I bought some aftermarket decals and made this colourful (for an F-15C anyway) US Air Force 1st Fighter Wing bird stationed at Langley AFB in 2004. This particular aircraft was the the personal mount of (then) Commander Frank Gorenc, who went on to become a four star general and commanded US Air Forces Europe and Africa.

When spraying a layer of varnish to protect the decals, however, the real disaster occurred. I refilled the airbrush cup and forgot to put the lid back on, meaning that I splashed a large dollop of Mr Super Clear III on the left wing, which immediately dissolved the existing varnish, decals and paint layers. Much cursing and fixing required before I could get back to weathering.

Even once nearly done the resin engine replacements kept falling off due to miniscule glueing area, the canopy was dirty and fogged inside when masks came off so I had to cut/lever it off to fix, and the pylons were a job and a half to get settled in place. All in all much more work than it needed to be but I think the result is ok.

• Like 27

1 minute ago, Wulfman said:

Despite your trails and tribulations , it looks like a great build and finish. First class modelling !

Wulfman

Thanks Wulfman - really kind of you to say and means a lot!

Certainly came out very well despite the curse! I'm familiar with the feeling of never wanting to see a model again after it's put up a fight (Airfix Vulcan, are you listening?!) 

Excellent finish, especially the metallic parts and the nozzles 👏👏👏

• Like 1

That sounds like every build I ever embark on. The difference being that your end result looks like you had a walk in the park! Fantastic model, well done.

• Like 1

Looking at the finished model, you'd never even guess it was a problem build. That you persevered says a lot about the strength of your resolve. You should be proud.

• Thanks 1