Xv867, royal navy ,lossiemouth

After clearing up a few bits and bobs I'll  make an immediate start on my choice ,I'm  not going to fight to alter the 2.c to a2.b ,i would have liked to have done  a  later wrap around scheme with modern weopons first ,but i don't mind waiting a bit longer, i shall build mine with markings from the xtradecal 72307 sheet, its XV867 ,655/LM  from lossiemouth in the edsg scheme,

I don't  believe it had slipper tanks fitted, i think airfix have done us over on the tanks, not just because of early raf examples it also restricts your options too much with navy markings, I'm  going to build it wheels up, mounted on a stand with a couple of nice resin pilots on board, i don't know what to hang from the pylons yet, 4  radar martels would be nice but i think  its  too early an example,  

• Like 2

Welcome to the GB Glynn :) 

For arming up a Fulmar-based Bucc bear in mind the target range at Tain was only a short trip across the Moray Firth so slipper tanks would have been a very rare sight. I do know practice bombs and/or rockets were used regularly.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Col. said:

do know practice bombs and/or rockets were used regularly.

I suppose that puts the damper on the martels hanging from the wings, flippin airfix

9 minutes ago, Hewy said:

I suppose that puts the damper on the martels hanging from the wings, flippin airfix

Although I've not noticed any photos of that configuration that's not to say it ddin't happen ;) 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Col. said:

configuration that's not to say it ddin't happen ;) 

I know but just because i fancy hanging them on, you can bet your bottom dollar that it never did🙄

Ideally xv350 decals would have been the ones for me ,no  slipper tanks ,non bulged bomb bay 

Martels hanging all over it in the glossy hi-vis roundels scheme, talk about milking a cow

Edited by Hewy
  • Like 1

I've got a bit done, the resin pilots have been painted and installed, and ive got a few bits ready for the main assembly, hats off to airfix its a well fitting ,and engineered kit,  because its going to be wheels up , i should just about have this built today, 

Its all oob apart from the staff, some resin seats and photo etch would have been in order if the canopy was displayed open but i think they'll look ok behind the canopy

4ZJKvxe.jpg

j7QstzV.jpg

• Like 8

Apologies if you've already mentioned this but where did you source the figures from? They look good.

• Like 1

Looking back i forgot to say col, they are the pj productions pilots 60s  i had the nato pair but they do an raf pair too (they look the same to me) and i liked the black visor

• Thanks 1

The main part of the build is done and i shall  fit the canopy next ,and prime it later hopfully , i can say it went together without issue,and everything lines up, i put the intakes and exausts on with airfix sprue goo, and rescribed the lines, it seemed easier than filling after , and fitted the cockpit section with superglue , 

Cheers all, thanks for the likes and replys

Glynn

i0v2D7m.jpg

6V7QgBh.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Hewy said:

exausts on with airfix sprue goo, and rescribed the lines, it seemed easier than filling after

Was thinking of going down this route myself, seeing how it's worked ok for you I'd be foolish not to!

Mark.

• Thanks 1

Mark, i recommend it, theres no filler at all on that(yet) ,obviously it all sands down the same if you use airfix plastic, it looked a bit like when i built models 45 years ago at first,but it sands  back so much easier and evenly,with a stick, make sure to rescribe with a  rounded razor saw though, as a normal scriber will dig too deep on the sprue-goo ,or let it set for longer than i did 😋,I'll  get some closer pictures up whe its primed,i havnt rescribed the rear fuselge joint yet,I'm in two minds whether to do it or not

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Ah, this is where you've been hiding!

Very nice work Glynn, your use of

A temporary distraction😋, cheers craig

• Like 1

On 5/7/2020 at 10:20 AM, Hewy said:

i think airfix have done us over on the tanks, not just because of early raf examples it also restricts your options too much with navy markings,

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand you.  Are you saying the tanks are of the wrong pattern or inaccurate for a naval/early RAF Buccaneer?

3 hours ago, Seahawk said:

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand you.  Are you saying the tanks are of the wrong pattern or inaccurate for a naval/early RAF Buccaneer?

Basically yes,  raf Buccaneers  ,and no carrier faa  flew with these tanks(for long (edit ),  there were a couple of faa accidents onbord during carrier trials for the  early tanks (kit ones) after that modifactions were made (fairing, to blend them into the wing, also the centre of gravity may have been altered a bit) the raf used the later faired in  type(, old airfix raf kits and aftermarket)

Airfix have been canny , fair play for offering an historical option but its limited ,very!

Edited by Hewy
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Looks great Glynn, you really have done a very neat job of putting her together.

Mostly the kits doing craig, only basic kit bashing from me , hence the speed of constuction, 

It does look good built up, it isn't far off the size of an etendard ivp in 1/48 you know

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Seahawk said:

, I'm not sure I understand you.  Are you saying the tanks are of the wrong pattern or inaccurate for a naval/early RAF Buccaneer?

Sorry , some, not all ,or many ,very early faa Buccaneers had  wing tanks  similar  to the airfix modern kits,a few  pictures show them ,( but airfixs tanks seem a bit slim) ,accidents  caused these to be changed to the  later  faired type raf buccs and most faa aircraft  had the faired type , i hope I've  not confused you

Edited by Hewy
  • Thanks 1